News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

You might be a Ren parent if.............

Started by ladyharrogate, June 01, 2009, 08:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nidhoggr

My Daughter actually took her first steps at our faire site during Celtic Fest.  I was the happiest pirate ever lol.

You might be a ren parent if... When your daughter takes her first steps at faire, you and several of your buddies from faire get excited and toast to it and celebrate with mead.

Hoowil

...you find yourself wondering how bad it would be to take your kids out of school for a week so you could camp out between the two weekends of a favorite faire.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Nidhoggr

You might be a renparent if you can't sleep, it's 4am, and you want to practice Bodhran so you use the cover of a duplicate D&D book you have as a surface to practice on since the actual Bodhran would wake your sleeping two year old who would inevitably want to try and play it and dance to it.

Rowan MacD

You may be a ren-grandparent if:
You get up in the middle of the night to tear into the bins of unused garb, because you just remembered you did not give away that lovely braided leather belt you now want to use for your granddaughter's Merida outfit: and that you also remembered where that mini quiver is..*squee*.

Both now hang over a long-unused sprang loom in the corner.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Hoowil

when first seeing little mini 12 pack Powerades, your first thought is 'Hey, those would be perfect for the kids for faire' followed quickly by a mental tally of how many faires you have scheduled to stock up since the things are on sale.

you understand the easy-to-clean value of cotton and linen in kid garb, and can fill the washing machine with said garb, doing so on a regular basis.

you have no problem making test runs on leatherwork projects in half scale, to not waste if it doesn't work, and one if not both of the renrats will want it if it does.

you understand the difference between a continental bow, and a kid sized longbow.

your son refuses to dance unless he's wearing a kilt.

you spend as much time researching period toys and games as you do on your garb.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Hoowil

you look across an encampment full of kids and notice most of them are wearing your kids' hand-me-down garb.

Trillium

Almost all of the family pictures in hanging on your walls has everyone in garb, including your wedding pics!
Got faerie dust?

Hoowil

your daughter's favorite warm weather pjs is her linen chemise.

LadyStitch

....  your 3 year old child not only has a dress up trunk with lots of princess and fantasy things in it but also has a Ren faire trunk.  AND she know the difference between them.

me:  Go put your kitty cat cloak in your costume trunk.
her:  No mommy that is for faire.  (she goes and puts it in a special drawer. Then picks up a wizard outfit)  This is dress up mommy.

So sayth the child :) 
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Trillium

lol!
My son still runs around the house in his cloak, I haven't been able to get into the storage box. He likes to put it on and crouch on the floor to scare the dog.  I'm happy it gets used!
Got faerie dust?

LadyStitch

Quote from: Trillium on November 18, 2014, 11:34:26 AM
lol!
My son still runs around the house in his cloak, I haven't been able to get into the storage box. He likes to put it on and crouch on the floor to scare the dog.  I'm happy it gets used!
Since she got to wear the cat "skin"  cloak for faire, she has now decided she wants one to wear as her everyday "coat".  It's been added to the sewing list. /sigh
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Hoowil

Quote from: LadyStitch on November 17, 2014, 02:37:27 PM
....  your 3 year old child not only has a dress up trunk with lots of princess and fantasy things in it but also has a Ren faire trunk.  AND she know the difference between them.

Just wait until you start getting complaints that the garb chest is too small. My daughter has her chest, and has more garb hanging in the closet than mundanes.

and of course: ... you daughter gets named queen of the fools' court, and spends an entire weekend condemning people to drubbings and dunkings. No 7 year old should ever wield such power...

LissaRoisin

When you 3 year old get a knight jacket and immediately says "I need a sword and shield!"
IWG #3491
IFRP #1486
Loveland Castleteer
Captain of the Wenches Desire

arbcoind

I still have my sons first wooden sword and shield from when he was 5 years old.  He begged to sit in the front row of the mud show; the shield and sword were splashed with mud.   Once he got older and lost interest in the wooden shield and sword, I carefully wrapped and stored then.   I recently moved, and among my possessions I found the shield and sword splashed with dried mud.  My son is now 20.   :)

Dinobabe

I finally get to post in this thread!!

When you hear about a new faire committee, you join, and all you can think about is how your son is going to get to grow up on the inside of a faire in his very own backyard!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com