News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Rules Disscussion and Ideas

Started by LadyJessica, June 13, 2009, 10:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue66669

Quote from: Viscomte de Arcadia on June 16, 2009, 11:24:10 AM
Quote from: Lady Nicolette on June 16, 2009, 10:47:09 AM
Sorry that you feel that way, Viscomte. 

LN

Thanks for the sentiment, but this is supposed to be about fun and enjoying the company of like minded individuals, not fending off nasty remarks made by faceless people who would never speak to another person like that in the flesh. Many years ago I was very active in the sport shooting community and held a high office in that bodies governing board. I went through the years of hate mail and narrow minded keyboard cowboys that are ten feet tall behind a computer screen, but get them face to face and they smile and say all the right things. It was that community and their attitudes that lead me to faire, to find a group of people that enjoyed the same things and spoke the truth no matter what.

I love faire, my faire family and the idea of this board as a safe place for us to gather. But seeing how people react to the Rendevous subject?, no thank you, I will make plans for our faire, visit places like MRF to see friends, and attend TRF to work my brothers gypsy camp and honor his memory. Try to host a Rendevous, or attend one?, sorry, I have more respect for the thing that gives me so much hope and happiness and friendship to bring those kind of negative joss to it.

Hope to see you in AZ

Viscomte

HEY! You're coming to TRF?!?!?!?

See you in the fall!!!!
Blaidd Drwg

Marcos Charron

Blue

Yep, three times a run.

I work at my brothers gypsy camp, Fourtunes of Valen. We are located at the end of the lane by the Ded Bob stage.

Stop by and say hello!

Viscomte
At the faire or in the wood shop, that's where I am!

Aaroncois

Quote from: Viscomte de Arcadia on June 16, 2009, 11:24:10 AM
Quote from: Lady Nicolette on June 16, 2009, 10:47:09 AM
Sorry that you feel that way, Viscomte. 
but this is supposed to be about fun and enjoying the company of like minded individuals, not fending off nasty remarks made by faceless people who would never speak to another person like that in the flesh.

Where are you seeing this? I've been following this thread pretty closely and I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

Marcos Charron

A

Read a bit closer brother, feelings are running a bit too high on this subject for my comfort.

I won't spoil my faire fun by being part of a bickering contest.

Viscomte
At the faire or in the wood shop, that's where I am!

LadyJessica

PLEASE READ!!

I know some of you feel that it's unfair that a section or a state is up for a RenDezvous again.  I want you know that while the ideas in this thread are very good, I feel that changing how the faires are chosen at this moment in time is unfair to those that have already stepped forward to say they'll host a RenDezvous.  For this year we will leave how the faires are chosen alone but we will change the voting rules to better accommodate newer members or older members that just don't post much.   For those that want to keep their votes private we are setting up a dummy account that all the mods can access.  I know I said that I would post a new set of rules for you to look over but I thought and talked it over, and as I said before, I feel that changing the rules on how the faire is chosen now would not be fair to any of the faires in the running.  As it is the host from AZ have asked to be taken out of the running.  We will, however, continue to discuss, and possibly change, how the faires are chosen after this vote.  Voting will begin again on June 19, 2009 at midnight and will continue until July 17, 2009 at midnight.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

photomike

Thank you.
This is the post I was looking for! As a newbee could you review the processes for voting?
*links and URLs not allowed in signature* - Admin

Lairde Guardn

unbelievable....
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Blue66669

Quote from: LadyJessica on June 16, 2009, 06:36:04 PM
PLEASE READ!!

I know some of you feel that it's unfair that a section or a state is up for a RenDezvous again.  I want you know that while the ideas in this thread are very good, I feel that changing how the faires are chosen at this moment in time is unfair to those that have already stepped forward to say they'll host a RenDezvous.  For this year we will leave how the faires are chosen alone but we will change the voting rules to better accommodate newer members or older members that just don't post much.   For those that want to keep their votes private we are setting up a dummy account that all the mods can access.  I know I said that I would post a new set of rules for you to look over but I thought and talked it over, and as I said before, I feel that changing the rules on how the faire is chosen now would not be fair to any of the faires in the running.  As it is the host from AZ have asked to be taken out of the running.  We will, however, continue to discuss, and possibly change, how the faires are chosen after this vote.  Voting will begin again on June 19, 2009 at midnight and will continue until July 17, 2009 at midnight.

First of all, I suppose I should say that I'm very sorry that our desire to host has caused such an uproar. I do wish that the Arizona group would reconsider their bid, mostly because I think that the opportunity to see that faire would be so worth it! We here in Texas want the same thing that all the other groups wanted- we just want to show our faire off and throw everyone one of the best parties of the year! To disqualify not only our state, but maybe even our entire SECTION would have been a loss. It would have taken Scarby out for sure, and maybe even LARF. Which, seeing that AZ was leaving, would have left us only with Sterling. Not that it's a bad thing, but I do like to have choices, and NOT by default.

When voting reopens, I do hope that everyone comes to vote again. Not necessarily for our faire, but just VOTE! Give us your VOICE! Tell us where you want to PARTY!!!

Blaidd Drwg

Lady Nicolette

Please know that Lady Jessica has a terribly difficult job in going back over the rules and in trying to come up with a solution that will satisfy the majority. 

Again, the mods have all been discussing EVERYONE's input and trying to make sure that it's fair for every faire and that every member has a chance to make their own personal choice, based on what faire they want to and can attend based on finances, timing and desire to participate.  If the faire of your choice doesn't win this time, it might in the future. 

Please give Lady Jessica the time and support that she needs to do this as fairly and as comprehensively as possible.  If you have input that you think would be valuable, please post it in here or renmail her and/or the mods with your suggestions.

"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Lairde Guardn

And it just gets better, how does one actually get appointed to Court, I mean to be a moderator?   Once again, no vote from the membership and the rules just decided by a few.  It proves to be unfair but allow it for this year because.....great reasoning and yet, I seem to be the only one that is bothered.

I surrender, the fight is over, long live the Queen.
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Blue66669

Quote from: Lairde Guardn MCrack on June 17, 2009, 09:43:01 AM
And it just gets better, how does one actually get appointed to Court, I mean to be a moderator?   Once again, no vote from the membership and the rules just decided by a few.  It proves to be unfair but allow it for this year because.....great reasoning and yet, I seem to be the only one that is bothered.

I surrender, the fight is over, long live the Queen.

Hon, while I understand your viewpoint on the whole matter, I have to say that your tactics are lacking and making you look bad. There IS a way to state your opinion without coming off like a giant @ss.
Blaidd Drwg

Scotsman

Quote from: Lairde Guardn MCrack on June 17, 2009, 09:43:01 AM
I seem to be the only one that is bothered.

Oh lad, you are not the only one bothered, not by a long shot, and you do have a voice brother ... you could never be accused of being silent. Fight the good fight friend.

Know this, Rendevous is still young ... really young! There are a lot of voices here, all want to be heard. I know this may be difficult to see but there is a huge amount of dialog behind the scene and far more passionate than what you guys are airing here.

One thing I know for sure, no matter how this all comes out in the end ... not everyone here will be satisfied ... will never happen! All we can hope for is that what the end result is is fair and just for all.

YOU MUST CONTINUE TO CONTRIBUTE >>> EVERYONE!!

If memory serves there has been like issues for the past several years, as this forum grows and Rendevous grows than we need to adjust/tweak the rules too. And with any growing comes pains ... growing pains.

This is not about me but I want to relay my story ...

I tried to get Rendevous in MDRF for 4 years and was heartbroken each year we lost out ... when we won the voting last year I was elated. For my homies and for all of you ... you folks will get the opportunity to see my home and I get the opportunity to enjoy all of you here. I love it and it is worth the wait.

Patients people, we will be okay ... stay in the fight ... you may not win, but you voice does count.

Love you brother. Shoot me an email if you will Guardn'.
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

~pixie~

Here, here, Scotsman.  Well spake.

As I am a simple-minded girl and not being much of a political-minded sort, I don't see why we all can't just get along. 

Great Scott, we had several people speak up and volunteer to host.  I say "huzzah!" to them and thanks for offering to take on such an endeavour! 

It seems all we gotta do each year is list thiose who have offered and set up a poll for voting.  Make it where only those who voted can see the results after they've cast their vote.  Let the current mods do that.  Plain & simple.  If you're registered on R/F, you should be able to vote. Why can't a newbie vote? They are the oldsters of tomorrow.  I myself might have 12 posts here, but have been a rennie for 20 years. Same might be true for the next guy with 1 post.

Why too, do we have to set "rules & regulations" on regions and  how often one can host?  If it seems the same faire offers to host repeatedly, and no one wants to go again for a while, I'm sure the voting will go another way.  Process of natural elimination and active voices will be heard via the poll.   It's okay.  It wouldn't mean no one likes that particulare faire; it just means everyone would rather go check out another one this year.  Faire is faire for Chris'sake!  They're all good fun, no?!  Honestly, has anyone here ever been to a truly crappy faire and had a truly crappy time whilst there??

I understand the concept of "staying inthe fight" and letting a voice be heard, and you are right, Scotsman; but we don't have to "fight" per se.  We need to discuss this as adults and come to a reasonable conclusion. All we're doing here is picking a place to get together and enjoy each other's company in the faire setting we all so dearly love.

How hard can this be people, for Pete's sake?

Rarely do I speak up in this manner, and I mean no offense to anyone, if any has been taken. 
I'd vote for 'em all and go to 'em all, if I could.

::steps off her soap box::

Thanks.
~ Pixie ~
the wicked wench
Rose Seller VARF
IWG #785 Local 42 MDRF
aka: Gold'n Penny
Irish Penny Brigade - Clan White

Tygrkat

Quote from: Scotsman on June 17, 2009, 10:20:38 AM

Know this, Rendevous is still young ... really young! There are a lot of voices here, all want to be heard. I know this may be difficult to see but there is a huge amount of dialog behind the scene and far more passionate than what you guys are airing here.

One thing I know for sure, no matter how this all comes out in the end ... not everyone here will be satisfied ... will never happen! All we can hope for is that what the end result is is fair and just for all.

YOU MUST CONTINUE TO CONTRIBUTE >>> EVERYONE!!

If memory serves there has been like issues for the past several years, as this forum grows and Rendevous grows than we need to adjust/tweak the rules too. And with any growing comes pains ... growing pains.

Well said, Scotsman.

While many of these issues have been hashed out in the past, there are many of us who weren't here yet to participate in those discussions, and I appreciate the opportunity to 'throw my two cents in'

I think that the changes being made to the (individual) voting eligibility and procedures are reasonable, and I agree with the mods that keeping the Faire selection/eligibility rules FOR NOW makes sense, to allow for planning to begin for wherever the next RenDezvous will be and whomever will be hosting (and attending) to begin preparing.

I don't think anyone disagrees that the process needs to be re-tooled, especially given the current climate on the boards, and a bit of time before revisiting this issue may be what's needed.  I'll be glad to get back to the business at hand for the moment, and working toward some sort of amicable resolution for future events.
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

Scotsman

Quote from: ~pixie~ on June 17, 2009, 11:13:23 AM
If you're registered on R/F, you should be able to vote. Why can't a newbie vote? They are the oldsters of tomorrow.  I myself might have 12 posts here, but have been a rennie for 20 years. Same might be true for the next guy with 1 post.

Thank you lass.
With all rule books there are people out there who want to break the book, so to speak.
All the rules that have been made or discussed thus far are because others have looked for ways to tilt the balance.
If memory serves the reason for the thread count restrictions is because some folks were setting up "ghost" accounts to stack the vote count to their favor.
It is really hard for the Admins to track these things sometimes so restrictions were set to prevent people from bending things. It really is too bad, but it is like a lock on your front door ... it only keeps honest people out. Rule books are not much different.
As you can see, when you try to make rules for something that is fun, it inevitable will tick others off.

This is make-believe people ... keep it fun.

Hear me now, regardless of where Rendevous ends up, I will be there with kilt on. You all have my support.
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?