News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New Food at Faire

Started by IndeanaSunday, June 13, 2009, 10:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndeanaSunday

I was dreaming this evening of steak-on-a-stake, spanikopita, peasant bread, apple dumplings, and all other manner of deliciousness available at Sterling, when I decided to check out the website. So many other things have been updated and added, maybe the food has been too!

http://sterlingfestival.com/thefestival/FoodPurveyors/tabid/128/Default.aspx

YAY! New food! The new things I noticed are:

-UNICORN KETTLE CORN - Freshly popped sweet & salty popcorn.
-YE MEAT INN PLACE SAUSAGE HOUSE at TAVERN on the BOGGES - Mild Italian Sausage on an old world roll covered in onions and peppers, Kielbasa in an old world bun covered in kraut, Bratwurst on a stick.
-TIRAMISU - Pick Me Up, light and rich! It is made of lady fingers dipped in coffee and mascarpone cream
-FRUIT & ICE CREAM - A mountain of seasonal fruit topped with creamy vanilla ice cream drizzled with a strawberry sauce.
-PIG ON A STICK - A Thick, Juicy Pork Tenderloin skewered on a stick drenched in magical mouthwatering mystical sauce.  Hold on to Ye Socks for they be going up and down with every bite!!!!
-BARON RED OSIER'S ROAST BEAST ON A WICK - Slow roasted mouth wateringly tender beef sliced thinly, served on a wick or old world roll.  Add horseradish, BBQ sauce, or melted cheese and feel your tongue dancing around in your mouth celebrating this feast!!!!!
-CAESAR SALAD - Chopped Ice Cold Romaine lettuce tossed freshly in our lip smacking dressing
with garlic croutons topped with shredded parmigiano. You may have to arm wrestle the Queen for this vegetable fare.

Mmmm! Although, I'm a little unsure if the Caesar Salad and Tiramisu were there last year. Does anyone know for sure if they are or aren't new?

[PS: My only little nag is is not about the food but a note for the marketing/web design person. Does he/she really need to use (!!!!!) after so many of the descriptions? I'm sure there's another way to express how fantastic the food is without making the writing look, well... a little juvenile.]

Aaroncois

Oh sweet, that's awesome! (or should it be !!!!  ?  ;D)

Honestly, I've been increasingly less thrilled with the food the last few years. They did away with the roasted corn, which was a shame (and it's hard to believe really. I mean, how hard is roasted corn? Seems like they HAD to make a decent profit on that). Then they continued to up the spices on the Steak on a Steak to the point where I don't really enjoy eating it anymore. And the turkey leg I got last year wasn't all that good, either.

So having the pork and roast beef to add into the mix makes me really happy!

IndeanaSunday

And the popcorn, what a great joust snack! The only category that there is really a deficit in is whole grains. My husband has a VERY restricted diet, so as much as he'd like to eat things like the veggie-salad in a bread bowl or the roasted chicken sandwich, he doesn't do white bread. So he eats those meal replacement bars instead.  ::)

Cobaltblu

Quote from: IndeanaSunday on June 13, 2009, 10:36:12 PM
[PS: My only little nag is is not about the food but a note for the marketing/web design person. Does he/she really need to use (!!!!!) after so many of the descriptions? I'm sure there's another way to express how fantastic the food is without making the writing look, well... a little juvenile.]

They could have had "OMFG Kettle Corn, You'll scream OMFG when the taste hits your mouth!!!!".

There are a couple links on the website which don't go anywhere also like ones saying to click here for stage acts or BTM cast list, and there is no map of the faire on the website like there was last year.

But I am excited for the new food since it is non-messy food which can easily be eaten with your hands which means I can walk around while eating.  The salty popcorn will surely be a big hit.

LESS THAN THREE WEEKS LEFT

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Scribe_Wear

i have to agree that the turkey leg wasnt good last year the ones my girls friend an i got through out the day were over cooked a dry. but as for the steak on a steak ive never got an over spiced one theyve always been good. an i cant wait to try the ceasar salad or the BARON RED OSIER'S ROAST BEAST ON A WICK this year
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.

Aaroncois

I'm curious about TAVERN on the BOGGES - is that a new building?

Tygrkat

I think my favorite 'new food' from last year was the fruit cart - just chilled fresh fruit - perfect for a hot day at Faire, refreshing!
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

Dustis

I have to agree with Tygrkat about the fruit cart seeing as they had my favorite, pineapple. If you ever have the need for something else buy a strawberry smoothie and a lemon, have her chop the lemon in half, and squeeze the juices into the smoothie...mmm. The colder the foods, on a hot faire day, the better.

Ozium

I missed that whole update, i may have just changed my opening day lunch to the beast on a wick, with a good amount of
horse raddish. Clarkes ale house realy lost me when they stopped serving on a wick.
Now my mouth is all watery just thinking about it.
Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

IndeanaSunday

Dustis's mention of lemons just reminded me of an incredibly refreshing Faire treat I discovered last year, but I don't remember exactly how to make it! If you see this DacianFalx remind me again about that lemon-peppermint-stick treat that you ate last year. Boy was it good!

Ozium

Oh and of course Johnny Fox's sweet nuts, i would just like to have that smell bottled.
But then of course i would want the nuts too!
Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

DacianFalx

Quote from: IndeanaSunday on June 15, 2009, 03:47:34 PM
Dustis's mention of lemons just reminded me of an incredibly refreshing Faire treat I discovered last year, but I don't remember exactly how to make it! If you see this DacianFalx remind me again about that lemon-peppermint-stick treat that you ate last year. Boy was it good!

Hey, my pleasure...:-D

The trick is simple, ask the nice kids at the fruit booth for a "peppermint lemon." What you'll receive is a half a lemon, juicy, with a wide (and porous) King Leo Peppermint Stick stuck in the center. Now then, the proper application of this chilly delight is to place the end of the peppermint in your mouth and suck the juice of the lemon through it while gently squeezing the lemon. The resulting lemon/peppermint juice will taste yummy, and cool you off. The best part is that, after a long faire day, this little treat can clean your throat out and repair a scratchy voice so you can be in full swing in time for pubsing!

We BtM used this trick for much of last season, with great effect. Enjoy!

(An' see you all in 16 days, 19 hours, 30 minutes...!)

Geoff
Those who say a certain something cannot be done, shouldn't interrupt those doing it.

SterlingFan

ummmm...faire food !  I'm getting hungry just reading this topic lol !  The new stuff sounds good !  My fave though is the apple dumpling with ice cream.  Does anyone remember way back when they had crepes?  Sterling had both desert ones & savory ones like mushrooms covered in a cream sauce. 
Home Faire: Sterling Renaissance Festival

"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here !"

Lady Amy of York

Quote from: DacianFalx on June 17, 2009, 01:24:39 PM

The trick is simple, ask the nice kids at the fruit booth for a "peppermint lemon." What you'll receive is a half a lemon, juicy, with a wide (and porous) King Leo Peppermint Stick stuck in the center. Now then, the proper application of this chilly delight is to place the end of the peppermint in your mouth and suck the juice of the lemon through it while gently squeezing the lemon. The resulting lemon/peppermint juice will taste yummy, and cool you off. The best part is that, after a long faire day, this little treat can clean your throat out and repair a scratchy voice so you can be in full swing in time for pubsing!

Geoff

What agreat suggestion,  for i know i get  thirsty walking around, especially on a hot day. Sounds  delicious  too.I know  my son  would  love  the  peppermint sticks.

OOo- popcorn !  ;D ;D    POPCORN FIGHT  !!   ;D ;D ( need to practice up on throwing and pelting !  )  Watch  out for  the lovely, innoccent looking noble  lady  with  the  popcorn  !  ;D ::) ::) ;D
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Tygrkat

*giggle*

Lady Amy, I will be sure to keep a watchful eye for rogue kernels from a Noble Lady  ;)

I will most definitely have to try a peppermint lemon as well, they sound divine!
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

IndeanaSunday

Quote from: DacianFalx on June 17, 2009, 01:24:39 PM

Geoff

Thanks! This thread is making me yearn for Faire right in the middle of my stomach.  :P

!!!! No one has mentioned Mile High Cake?! Oh, the divinity of cake!

Lord Finger

And here I thought I'd be saving money on food this year...

IndeanaSunday

SterlingScot.... you have the best signature ever. Those smileys are hilarious!

Lord Finger

Thanks Indeana. They reminded me of something that happened at Sterling years ago. Something about a friend missing a tree he meant to lean on.