News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hotels, Motels and Camping

Started by Lady Ann of Draycott, May 19, 2008, 12:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ann of Draycott

This topic got started in the old forums just before we had to abandon ship.  I thought it was a good topic and one that people might want to refer to when planning a trip to TRF. 

So, if you have stayed in a hotel, motel or camped near TRF please let us know how it was for you and what you thought of your stay.

I thought of some questions that other people might find helpful:

Was the staff friendly or not? 
Were they helpful or not? 
What amenities were there? 
Was there a free breakfast?  If so, what kind of food was provided?
Did you have any problems? 
Was it clean? 
How reasonable was the cost? 
How long did it take to get to the faire from there? 
Would you recommend this place to someone else?

FOR THOSE WHO CAMP ONSITE AT TRF:
If you camp onsite at TRF, please don't post here.  Another member of the forums (mpullen) will be posting a separate topic for camping onsite at TRF.  It will include anything and everything you every wanted to know about camping onsite at TRF. 

Please limit posts here to offsite camping, hotels and motels. Thanks!

Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

dameoftherealm

Some of the Hotels around Shenandoah offer shuttles. The list of hotels and deals will be ready in July that is what I was told when
I called. The hotels do not know that the shuttles are not run by them. The last shuttle leave to the hotels after it is over for the night.
Shuttles for more information 8004583435 or TRFinfo@texrenfest.com . I am looking into shuttles due to cost of gas.
Dame of the Realm

DonaCatalina

Last year we stayed at the Best Western Lake Conroe Inn for Closing weekend.

The Hotel is brand new with free internet and cable.
It had a mini-fridge, coffee pot and a microwave.
Lots of fast food options nearby and the lake was across the street.
Though the lake is Not a big plus in late November.

The problem was it was a little small and filled up fast. So we were on the second floor in the back and as far from a staircase as you can get.

Apparently all the maids quit that week too because we had to scrounge linens from the office when there were none in our room.
We had a non-smoking room, but it seems the laundry room was the preferred smoking room for the staff because the clean sheets and towels we got from the office were thick with cigarette smoke smell.

Now, does anyone know anything about the 2 hotels listed in Magnolia?
Executive Inn & Suites?
Magnolia Inn & Suites?
I'd like to hear some pros and cons about staying further south.

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Queen Bonnie

I stay at the Super 8 in Navasota.  Only a half hour away from TRF. Good  FREE breakfast. Clean rooms. Pool.  Friendly staff.  Fridge, microwave. Good Mexican restaurant in front of the motel.
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

mrsmccunn

Magnolia Inn raised its prices to outragous levels (not recalling exactly but over $200 per night, i was dumbfounded!) last year during festival and required 2 night stay. I will boycott them for greediness! Stayed there the year before: nothing special.

We'll try to stay at "the Belile bed and breakfast" once or twice in Tomball........owned and operated by hubby's daughter and husband.
Great company and worth the drive. Limited to one guest room you must share with computers, guitars, and costumes! Complete with cute granddaughter.

Yrose

The La Quinta in Tomball is nice and fairly new. I don't know about prices during fair. We stayed compliments of Centerpoint Energy when they didn't turn our light back on after some work. There is also at least 3 other hotels in Tomball.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

Nii

Last week I booked rooms for all of our weekends at the Best Western in Navasota.  Prices are still (kinda) reasonable.  Would recommend to anyone to start getting reservations ASAP, as anything "close" WILL fill up quickly.

Last year I had to book late (due to surgery) and could only get something out in Conroe, up I-45.  Not good when you live 4 hours from faire in the opposite direction.

Queen Bonnie

I booked my rooms at the Super 8  Navasota last year. I just called to confirm my reservations. They have rooms available. I think they are very reasonable.
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

DonaCatalina

We're getting a pretty good deal from the La Quinta in Tomball.

I'm just leery about coming in the South Entrance.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Pascal

Going through Magnolia is always a pain.  If you go early (before opening cannon), you'll probably be okay.  If you go late (11 or 12), you'll be okay.  Anything in between is likely to be a disaster.

Mast Hugger Kate

We stayed at the Super 8 in Montgomery, it was brand new and 18 miles from TRF. They had the free breakfast and the rooms start at 69.99. It was a straight shot from the higway coming from the Dallas area.   :D

GypsyWriter

Greetings, Texas Friends!  I've always wanted to attend your faire and I think it might actually be doable this year!  What is the nearest airport, and how close is it?  I'm currently looking into travel arrangements, and would appreciate any advice.  (I've been lurking on these threads the last few weeks and have already browsed most of the hotel and camping threads.) 

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide!
You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.
--Colette

angusmacinnes

"Magnolia Inn raised its prices to outragous levels (not recalling exactly but over $200 per night, i was dumbfounded!) last year during festival and required 2 night stay. I will boycott them for greediness! Stayed there the year before: nothing special."

This is what we experienced in 2006 with the Magnolia Inn as well.  I won't return there again.  The other year we did TRF we stayed at the La Quinta in The Woodlands and rode the shuttle.  It added some time to the trip but I felt it was well worth the trip not to have to fight the traffic.  If we come down this year I think that again will be the course of action we take.  If they still have the shuttle buses.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Tanyor

Bush International . Or hobby airport. But make sure you wear neutral gang colors while going out of hobby airport. the airport itself isn't so scary its the streets you have to drive threw to get out to the freeway.

Sir Martin

Quote from: GypsyWriter on July 01, 2008, 01:06:25 PM
Greetings, Texas Friends!  I've always wanted to attend your faire and I think it might actually be doable this year!  What is the nearest airport, and how close is it?  I'm currently looking into travel arrangements, and would appreciate any advice.  (I've been lurking on these threads the last few weeks and have already browsed most of the hotel and camping threads.) 

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide!

Houston Intercontinental Airport (AKA Bush Interconconintal Airport) is the closest.  It is almost an hour from the TRF grounds.  It is the best bet, however, if you are landing and looking for a close hotel/motel.

I have stayed at the Courtyard Mariott in the Woodlands several times, but they have increased their rates 100% in the past 5 years.  Too much considering you are still almost 45 minutes from the TRF gates.  My advice is to look for an economy motel in the Navasota/Montgomery/Conroe area.  If you can live without luxury accommodations, you will have a much shorter commute to the fest.

GypsyWriter

Thanks so much, Sir Martin and Tanyor!
You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.
--Colette

Yrose

The Tomball LaQuinta is excellent and the drive is not bad before cannon or after 11:00 and also about an hour before closing. Now at closing forget it go to the camp grounds for a few hours and visit friends or make some new ones. You'll be in traffic for about 3 hours other wise.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Queen Bonnie on June 04, 2008, 05:31:45 PM
I stay at the Super 8 in Navasota.  Only a half hour away from TRF. Good  FREE breakfast. Clean rooms. Pool.  Friendly staff.  Fridge, microwave. Good Mexican restaurant in front of the motel.
This is where Toki and I have a room booked for All Hallows Eve Weekend.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

PurpleDragon

Quote from: Lady de Laney on July 31, 2008, 02:06:26 PM
Quote from: Queen Bonnie on June 04, 2008, 05:31:45 PM
This is where Toki and I have a room booked for All Hallows Eve Weekend.

I still say you two need to camp with the rest of us :)
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

No I'm all about having a Nice hot shower, a nice bed, clean hair, a curling iron to curl my hair, large mirros to see myself in and be able to do make-up with proper light. And with my situation a Private restroom/Shower is a MUST
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e