Ye Olde Crafting Corner > Crafts and Projects

Loki and other Liquers

<< < (3/37) > >>

DonaCatalina:
I share recipes....I have no big secrets.
4 medium red Pears (green ones aren't sweet enough)
1lb Sugar, dissolved in 2 cups distilled water
600ml (1 pint) Vodka
1 Whole white peppercorn
1 tsp Ground cinnamon

Remove seeds and dice pears.
Place the pear pieces in a glass jar.
Put peppercorn and cinnamon in fine cheese cloth,
tie closed tightly and put in jar.
Add vodka, cover, and leave for 2 weeks.
Strain through a muslin cloth and add sugar solution.
Leave until clear.

Now like I said, mine never went completely clear even with filtering. The champange effect
was caused by the high sugar content as well as the natural yeast that was on the fruit.
If you want to achieve that effect on purpose, use a vintner's yeast that is available from a vintner's supply.
Do not use champagne yeast because the pear doesn't have the body to stand up to that and it will turn vinegary. Personally I would not recommend adding yeast.

bellevivre:
so pears are skin on- silly question- I'm assuming you'd wash the pears, but wouldn't that eliminate the natural yeasts?

DonaCatalina:
Skin on....You can wash them, but the skin still carries some residue.

bellevivre:
I'm definitely going to try this- maybe cloves and peppercorns (have an allergy to cinnamon)

OH! lol this brings me up to 4 flavors now... how long before the effervescence happened? what would you judge would be the shelf life after that?

DonaCatalina:

--- Quote from: bellevivre on July 14, 2009, 03:03:30 PM ---I'm definitely going to try this- maybe cloves and peppercorns (have an allergy to cinnamon)

OH! lol this brings me up to 4 flavors now... how long before the effervescence happened? what would you judge would be the shelf life after that?

--- End quote ---

It was about 8 months before it started effervesing. Actually unscrewed the lid and blew out some corks.. About a year later what was left started turning to vinegar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version