News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Loki and other Liquers

Started by bellevivre, June 18, 2009, 11:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I just made some English Toffee Loki and so far it seems quite good - just a week old, so it needs to mellow just a bit, but is still quite drinkable. 
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Ambrosine

I just tried my hand at making loki for the first time! I made it to taste like black licorice using star anise and cardamon. It taste good at this point which its about 2 weeks old now, just like a black jelly bean  :D But I have to say now I just want to keep making different concoctions!
Stitch Witch of the Harbinger

Sabrina Black

Those of you who make any kind of chocolate flavored Loki, what do you use to get the chocolate taste?
Wench-in-training

Francisco Paula

Sabrina i use chocolate extract i get at a spice store.

Gauwyn may we talk about that english toffee recipe.

I just put together a cherry chocolate and cherry vanila. Used black bing cherry juice and even added some jarred cherries to it. Probably going to crack them this weekend at our loki make and mend day.

Sabrina Black

Ok, thank you! I'll look around here for some :)
Wench-in-training

Francisco Paula

sabrina here is the place i get it

http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/extracts/extrcho.html

the shop just happens to be right down the street from where i work.

Sabrina Black

Wench-in-training

Blue66669

Try chocolate coffee flavoring, or even a creme de cacao.
Blaidd Drwg

Alphena Brennafax

I'm trying my first ever attempt at Loki- going for a spiced apple. Here it is at week 3.

It still has about 2 more months to sit before War but I'm a little worried about the taste as it's a bit weak in the apple and strong in the everclear. I'm thinking of maybe adding some hard apple cider to it? Has anyone had any luck adding a second alcohol on top of the everclear?

Francisco Paula

with my little experience that using other then extracts will take longer for the everclear to mellow out and flavor to come through.

Blue66669

It's only because you're using fresh fruits. I have never used anything fresh in loki, and can drink mine usually about a week after bottling :D
Blaidd Drwg

Francisco Paula

Just tried to make almond joy. Only thing i would change is i tried coconut davinci syrum instead of my normal extract and the coconut seemed week i am hoping it comes out as it sits.

We did our loki make and mend and was alot of fun, only a few people made loki but we got alot of projects done for garb.

Francisco Paula

I found out the hard way that even though you use fruit or fruit juice you still need to add the sugar and don't be afraid to add sugar later or even some extract to help it along. We had to do that with our carmel apple. We used juice as a base and didn't add sugar and months later we added the sugar then it popped and turned out after that.

Alphena Brennafax

It's apples, cinnamon stick, allspice and vanilla bean. The spices are hiding in the photo  :)
I was planning to put in the sugar at the 1 month mark. Should I have added the sugar first off?

Sabrina Black

Ok does anyone use hard candies to flavor their Loki? If so, does it work well and is there anything special that needs to be done?
Wench-in-training