News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I need help finding the right shirt

Started by Lady Rubenesque, July 05, 2009, 08:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rubenesque

Hello all!  I would love your opinions and suggestions.  I recently got a new dress and am having a difficult time finding the right shirt/chemise to go with it.

I don't know how to put pictures in a posting but you can see a picture (I'd also be happy to email a picture of me in mine if you ask) if you go to www.pendragoncostumes.com and click the link for New Products, scroll down to the Desree dress. Perhaps this link will work: http://www.pendragoncostumes.com/s3d/desree_dress_3d.html

You'll see that the top of the bodice is very flat and laces down the middle.  There is a small, high collar.  I wear a hoop skirt with it.

I got Pendragon's Lady Anne shirt to go with it:  http://www.pendragoncostumes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=pendragon&Product_Code=womens_partlet&Category_Code=chemises That also has a high collar. My challenge with this shirt that I like show ample cleavage so I tried opening the shirt from the collar to the sides of my bosom.  Theoretically it should work but because I am full chested and have a very short torso, it doesn't look right.  I also did not like having my stomach uncovered where the dress laces up.  I tried various ways of covering that area up but was unhappy and frustrated with it. 

I ended up using a chemise that has no shoulders, the sleeves are attached under the arm and they have a lace panel up the side.  That exposes a bit too much...  I have a regular gauze chemise but I do not feel that the gauze fabric is "elegant" enough for the dress.  I saw a long lace chemise that I think would be pretty but due to the hoop skirt would prefer a shorter one.  A plain, cotton, white one would also work but is oh, so boring.  ;)

So, I'm asking if anyone has any ideas.  Your input would be appreciated!  If you would like me to email you a picture so you can visualize it, I would be happy to.

Cheers!

Jan

sealion

Hmm... my first faire-wear purchase was a Desree bodice with the collar but I don't think I ever wore a collared partlet or shirt with it, just a full sleeved low necked chemise. With my gowns I wear a low necked smock plus a collared partlet without sleeves (as I am wearing in my avatar).  Looking at the pictures you linked I can see wear a chemise with sleeves plus your sleeved partlet wouldn't really work but having the partlet open down the front under the bodice lacing wouldn't be comfortable either. You could try sewing the partlet closed below your chest or, if you don't mind another layer, you could try a sleeveless chemise or modern camisol or tank top under the partlet and bodice so skin doesn't show under the laces.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

dragongirl

I was browsing Morecsa's site and they have several shirts that might work for you.  There are even tank tops with lovely tops and sleeve that might work with your dress.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

bellevivre

you really could take this the way they did in the 18th century- an 'undershirt', if you will, went under the corset- I see no reason why you couldnt do the same thing- a soft tank, partlet (because that's really what youre describing) then dress. I have a silk organza partlet i made that works very well when i do high Tudor- you tie the collar closed but the shirt opens from the edges of the neckline, so you have a nice 'frame' for the cleavage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts