News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The end of an era...

Started by LadyNiniane, July 30, 2008, 08:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyNiniane

:(

This announcement just in from Mother Pockets:

"We will not be doing the Soup Kitchen at KCRF...

It's been a wonderful 20 years, and there are many things that will never be the same, probably for any of us."

If you are a performer or vendor at KCRF, you will know what kind of an impact the Soup Kitchen has had over the years there, and not only with food for the belly.  And if you were ever a member of one of the high school or college madrigal choirs that come to the faire, you will really remember it.

I know that there are a number of performers and vendors who read this forum, and more than a few of you who were caught short last year when the kitchen was cut from the faire budget.  Please pass the word that folks will henceforth need to make alternative arrangements to get themselves fed at KC;  in particular, if you know of a school group that is planning to bring a choir, please tell them to make certain that they have made suitable arrangements for getting their students fed.  The general contact information for the choir directors has told them that their students could eat at the Kitchen;  when the kitchen plans were canceled by the front office last year, many of those students were left hungry for the day.  It would distress many of us to see that same situation occur this year.

'Tis a sad day indeed...
:'(

----------------------
Lady Niniane
Queen's Gambit - I'm the white-haired fiddler

Craigmeister

This is very interesting.  I'm planning on just my 2nd trip to KCRF this year but I feel affected by this.

If festival management is downgrading the treatment of the performers & employees, there's something wrong.  Someone is not trying hard enough to think about others.  If the talent doesn't like the way they're being treated, they'll perform somewhere else.  If the workers are being gypped, they'll work somewhere else.  It is almost assured that the replacements for both of these groups won't be as good as the current ones.  That will relate in fewer attendees & an overall downgrading of the fest.

Is this a financial move by the management?  If so, what happened to the money that was being spent on the kitchen?  Did a panel of people analyze what could happen if their workers & the talent were less satisfied each year?

Maybe I'm so interested in this is b/c my favorite faire in OK shut down unexpectedly last year.  One of my faires in KS has been put on hold the last 2 years as well.  This has been v-e-r-y disappointing.  I know that several of the performers at these faires have been let down as well.

Although KCRF is a lot bigger than the faires I'm missing, I hate seeing people taken advantage of & in some cases, mistreated.  I also know that a lot of performers don't make much money at faires.  If they have to travel a long way, pay lots of money for gas & then have to buy their own food when they usually don't, it can prevent them from performing.

I wonder if the management can find a way to cut costs somewhere else to afford feeding these people.  Is there anyone from KCRF's management that can explain this situation in this forum?
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.