News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Computer Games?

Started by bellevivre, July 14, 2009, 09:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

There needs to be a section on Ren-esque computer/video games!

Example: I just finished GHOST Chronicles: Phantom of the Renaissance Faire, which was actually based on Bristol (they credited them in the credits)

Any other suggestions? (LOL Bard's Tale comes to mind!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

LadyShadow

A not so good one... But Total War came out with some for different time periods.

But I'm more interested in the one you just mentioned.  Where did you get it at?
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

bellevivre

Big Fish Games- it's a quick play- I finished in maybe 2-2.5 hours, but it was definitely fun just to be in a 'real' virtual faire for a while!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Mentioning the Total War series: I have all the original games-Shogun, Medieval, and Rome, but I have to say that Medieval II Total war is great! With expansion "Kingdoms" you can fight the Crusades (I used to have to down load a mod to cover this, and it wiped out all previous game options), Braveheart's battles, and the Teutonic campaigns in Eastern Europe. All will start at a specific time period and will last so far as long as you continue to play. Each term being roughly 4 months in Time.

They also have onout in the series covering the Revolutionary War.

tcindie

I liked a lot of the old sierra games... some of which have been remade by fans with updated graphics & interface..

Kings Quest 1
Kings Quest 2
Kings Quest 3
Quest for Glory 1
Quest for Glory 2

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I've been a HUGE fan of the Total War series since Day one of Shogun. I will say the latest version Empire while fun was also their buggiest version to date, bbut it now allows ship to ship combat. Medieval II was probably the best to date, but Empire is still good.

Other games that rock are Neverwinter Nights I and II, Balders Gate I and II and Dungeon Seige I and II. And if you like Post Apocolytic Fallout I and II are fantastic. Not so much a fan of Fallout 3. Civilization is also a great game.

I never enjoyed the Kings Quest games. I think that stems from the fact it took me less than 12 hours to beat KQ2
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

LadyShadow

Oh wow, forgot about Civilization.  Havent played that one in some time.  I think I'm gonna start bringing out all my old comp games now  :D
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

RSLeask

tcindie, I'm another huge fan of the old Sierra series games.  Particularly Quest for Glory, which is still one of the absolute funniest games I've ever played... the humor they wrote into it had me splitting my sides on more than few occasions, especially with the guest cameo by Groucho Marx in QfG2 (though I think 4 will always remain my favorite of that series).  Space Quest as well, just the punchlines you find in either series was incredibly funny.  However, the Police Quest series while it was under Jim Wells is what I truly enjoyed... actually having to use a fully procedural approach to police work in a game to be able to finish it.  Any of them were pretty amazing for their time.

Quote from: Lady de Laney on July 17, 2009, 08:57:18 AM
I never enjoyed the Kings Quest games. I think that stems from the fact it took me less than 12 hours to beat KQ2

King's Quest was epic for the fact that it was the first game series that almost entirely required the player to use non-lethal means to get around obstacles to score the maximum points (one such exception being the witch you cook in her own cauldron in KQ1).  That was almost unheard of in an adventure RPG.

The others I've always enjoyed with a medieval theme was the Baldar's Gate series.  AD&D at its finest, with a compelling story to boot.  And the typical humorous moments tossed in for added effect... getting "Larry, Darryl and Darryl's" autographs remains the shining moment of the first one.   ;D  Right up until the legendary "Bondari reloads".  I near busted a gut on that one!  Neverwinter Nights, by contrast... I don't know whether it was the 3Ed ruleset, the unfinished feel they left to the game, or the fact that the expansions didn't follow the original at all (which I found highly disturbing from a gamer perspective), but I've never really been much a fan of them... at least on the single player aspect.  I played it for a good long while on a multiplayer RP server, though.

And how could I forget?  Heroes of Might and Magic.  I absolute love these games, though I think 3 has got to be my favorite.  The combination artifacts they had in it, combined with the heroes with incredible special abilities (I still remember Gelu's army of sharpshooters)... I mean, wow.  I enjoyed 4 as well, though it was much more focused on the heroes.  By the end of a campaign, you could simply load up an army comprised entirely of heroes, and there was nothing that could stand in your way.
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

tcindie

I just dug up the link to Peasant's Quest last night too.. If you're familiar with Homestar Runner you may have heard of the game, but anyway it's like a parody of a kings quest game.. playable online.