News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

RENDEZVOUS 2010- Planning

Started by eloquentXI, July 18, 2009, 06:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rani Zemirah

That really is a wonderful idea, although it might be easier handled in a bit smaller increment than a whole day.  Perhaps a half day, with a switch off around lunch time, so people can meet and hang with more than one set of locals, and participate in different activities.  Just a thought...

This sort of thing is why I would like the longer weekend, just so everyone can get as much Scarby in as possible!  I was there for 3 days, and I still didn't get to everything I wanted to see and do!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Rani Zemirah

Oh!!!  Another thought!  LOL  This year I stayed in the campground at Cedar Hill State Park with the Bayou Scoundrels, and it would have been a wonderful venue for an after-Faire bonfire/cookout/gathering, if we had been able to arrange it beforehand, and since there is plenty of time I'd just like to throw the idea out there!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Anna Iram

I swear Rani..you and I are so often on the same bandwidth. I go to send ,my post and Boom you squeek in ahead of me! :)

I was thinking the same. Such a lovely idea, I'd want to go with several different groups!

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Anna Iram on July 22, 2009, 08:29:42 PM
I swear Rani..you and I are so often on the same bandwidth. I go to send ,my post and Boom you squeek in ahead of me! :)

I was thinking the same. Such a lovely idea, I'd want to go with several different groups!

Two peas, that's what we are...  :D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on July 22, 2009, 08:27:31 PM
Oh!!!  Another thought!  LOL  This year I stayed in the campground at Cedar Hill State Park with the Bayou Scoundrels, and it would have been a wonderful venue for an after-Faire bonfire/cookout/gathering, if we had been able to arrange it beforehand, and since there is plenty of time I'd just like to throw the idea out there!

Rani the camping idea looks great to me and I think my hubby would like it too.  Would you fill me and everyone else in a bit on what Cedar Hill is like?  Ya know, showers, privies, that sort of thing...
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

eloquentXI

Blue and I have discussed this a couple times.

And that is the big question at hand, how do we have a few key activities without planning out every single waking second that people have when they visit Scarby. Its a tough balance.

Right now, we're merely brainstorming to see if anyone has any better ideas than what we've come up with. And for those who have experience to help us out too.  ;D

We have discussed seeing if we can have the Pavillion behind the Cat 'n Fiddle rented out for the RF group that weekend or at least be able to hang our banner so that we have a covered area to sit, have something to drink, a place for our traditional During/After Parade Meet n' Greet that will house all who come.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Rani Zemirah

I'd love to!!!

*The campsites in three of the areas are all hook-up sites, with water and electric, for RV's and such, although tents are also allowed.
*There are very decent facilities, with toilets, showers with plentiful hot water, sinks and mirrors.
*They're basically clean, with the normal wet floors of a lake facility from people tracking in water, but they spray them down a couple of times a day.  
*There are dump areas for trash and septic, and hooks to hang your camp trash bags so the small critters don't get into them. 
*Each site looked to have a covered picnic table with nearby fire ring complete with attached yet movable heavy grill top for cooking.
*Each person must pay an admission fee of $5 per day/night, over and above the camping fee of $20 per night (2009 prices), so that's a consideration for a gathering.  Not sure if there is a group usage rate, though. 
*Memorial weekend was absolutely packed, and we all had our camping reservations at least a month in advance.
*There are primitive sites, but they are all hike-in, so car camping at these isn't really an option.

If I think of anything else I'll update this post, but this isn't really a camping or lodging thread, so I'll stop here. I will say that it was a great place to camp, though...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Welsh Wench

Eloquent has a very good point.

As one of the planners for Rendezvous in TN, may I offer a suggestion?

Keep it simple.
One activity a day.
Optional.

Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

eloquentXI

Well everything will be made optional, because I know there will be people who will wander on their own accord.
Which I welcome gladly, because experiencing our faire for yourself is what we hope!

I know our two usual Scarby happenings, that have been for at least two years now is we have the Pre-Cannon Shennagens, where we all meet up before cannon in the FoF parking lot, get dressed, everyone has the usual morning drink and chat, go up and watch the cast play and be amazing at front gate, until Boomer sounds at 10. Then, during/after parade, (cannon sounds at 1 PM) we have our RF.com Meet 'n Greet. I know as a local, these two things will happen that weekend because its tradition for us.

Beyond that, everything is still up for consideration!

Rani Zemirah

Elo, please also remember to not plan so many things that you and Blue don't have time to wander, chat and enjoy Faire (and the RenDezvouz) also!!!  We want you two to have fun, without falling over from exhaustion!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

eloquentXI

Oh I won't, don't worry.
I know that maybe two of those suggestioned happenings are going to happen, if that. These are only ideas.

And I'll have plenty of time to do what I like, I'll make sure of it!

Rani Zemirah

Ohpleaseohpleaseohplease... Musical Men!?!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

eloquentXI

No decisions are definite yet, we've still got a lot of time between now and then.  But it is a consideration.  ;)

I know that there is a favor being made for the 2009 Rendezvous. I think we need to continue the tradition, don't ya'll think so too?

Yrose

Quote from: eloquentXI on July 22, 2009, 11:39:26 PM
I know that there is a favor being made for the 2009 Rendezvous. I think we need to continue the tradition, don't ya'll think so too?

I did see the commemorative pin, if that's what your talking about, for sure. I love the idea, wish I had one for the first two I've been able to attend.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

Hercules

Ms. Blue mentioned tailgate parties post-faire too. I like that idea because I hang out after wards in the parking lot waitng for the crowd to disperse. 
Save the Earth (it's the only one with beer)!