News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What age did you start faire?

Started by beeboy, May 20, 2008, 03:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoowil

Faire? 17
Faire in garb? 17
SCA? 15

Methinks my daughter may have a winner. Faire, in garb at 4 months. Well, in a smock and leggings.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Azen

I started at 19, and wore garb to the first faire I went to.

Drake Starsong

This year would mark my 15th year - my parents took me for the first time when I was 9 ( they always said between 6 and 9 but we found conclusive evidence its 9 hehe) - I didn't accually start dressing up in garb untill 19 though - so this will be my 5th year in garb!

Wow..more than half my summers been spent  at the fest...I suddenly an feeling very nostalgic  ;D
Yo ho Yo ho!

CatAshtrophy

My first faire was when I was 14. I went to Scarborough and it was a great day. I've been been going 8 years already and it doesn't seem possible.

Cilean

I went to faire when I was 14 and by 15 I had my gear I was at Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire. I was a playtron until 1986/7 when I became a hawker for the Dye Spot and an Interpreter for the Deaf.  My children were I think 1 month and 3 months when they began at faire and have been involved with the SCA since birth. It has been a wonderful ride!

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Rosekrystal

eloquentXI

17- it's only been about a year for me. But it's enough to say, I can almost promise I will never stop going from this point on.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

DT_Masters

That depends on how one looks at it.

In '82, I was in San Diego on ROTC cruise and came across SCA, so I checked it out when I got back home ........... but didn't really go in for it. I was 21 then.

The llama wool parka was probably bought on a whim in 1984-1985.

In '87, I started belly dancing and in 88, I was part of troupe. We mostly did nursing homes, church festivals. Granted, that's not faire, but it was when I started making, having garb, buying swords, belly dance jewelry, metal wear, patterns, head dresses.

First Ren Fest of decent memory, assuming that I didn't attend "one" when I was part of the troupe, was TX Ren Fest in probably 1991 though it might have been 1990. 20 or 29 then.

groomporter

Attended MNRF in it's first year back in 1971.

Started doing modern fencing demos at MNRF with a local fencing club one weekend a year around about 1983.

Started doing MNRF as a full-time participant in 1989.

Became a crafter in 1995.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Scotsman

Lady Guinness and I started about 20 years ago - MDRF
Garbing since 2006
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

act2redux

wish I could say different...first faire, first garb a couple of weeks ago at 55!

Lady Ann of Draycott

The first time I ever went to a faire was when I was 17 or 18.

The first time I went to a faire in garb I was 43.  :-[  Yeah, well...better late than never! At least now I can afford to buy garb!  ;) 
Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

DonaCatalina

Quote from: act2redux on May 29, 2008, 01:59:19 PM
wish I could say different...first faire, first garb a couple of weeks ago at 55!

better late than never!  ;D

I think my first year was 1982 or maybe even 1983. But we didn't start seriously garbing until 1992ish.

Huzzah for Faire!
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lord Figaro

I begged and pleaded my mother to take me (figured she studied history with specialty in the dark ages, thought it would be up her alley) But allas she always replied "no I'm not interested in going, and no one else would go with. So it took me many years later, after I met my wife. Her and I broke up and she moved back home here to MN from where we lived in GA. We stayed in touch and I came to visit a few times. As luck had it, I visited during the MNRF run back in 99 I think it was.  I was hooked the moment I walked through the gates. So much so I bought my first piece of garb that very day and built from there, with a few pieces each time I went. When I went down to GA I went both times it ran back then in spring and fall, and if I had no one to go with, I went solo, I loved it so much. So for me I guess it works to 9 years so far. Only the last 4 have been in what I would call full garb.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Cobaltblu

I was 30 last summer.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.