News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Advice needed from foodies!

Started by Charlotte Rowan, July 21, 2009, 10:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlotte Rowan

My husband and I want to prepare a nice meal for my parents, who helped us out a lot (with money, time, emotional support, etc..) with our recent wedding and home purchase. I want to do something a little special, and I've found a few recipes that I think will be good, but I have no idea if they'll be good *together.* I'd appreciate any input from foodies out there who know how to compose a meal!

Here's what I'm thinking:
Appetizers: Cheese plate (I have no idea what kind of cheeses)
Main Dish: Salmon with Vanilla Champagne sauce (a Rachel Ray recipe - the sauce is made with champagne, heavy cream, and vanilla bean)
Side Dish: Butternut squash and Chickpea salad with Tahini Dressing (http://www.pigpigscorner.com/2009/02/copycat-time-warm-butternut-squash.html)
Wine
Dessert: Creme brulee and coffee

My main concern is that most of these dishes have somewhat of a sweet flavor... will it be too much? If so, what can I do to balance it out a bit? Also, any suggestions for which cheeses to serve, and what kind of wine?

Thanks in advance!!

Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Charlotte Rowan on July 21, 2009, 10:55:28 AM
My husband and I want to prepare a nice meal for my parents, who helped us out a lot (with money, time, emotional support, etc..) with our recent wedding and home purchase. I want to do something a little special, and I've found a few recipes that I think will be good, but I have no idea if they'll be good *together.* I'd appreciate any input from foodies out there who know how to compose a meal!

Here's what I'm thinking:
Appetizers: Cheese plate (I have no idea what kind of cheeses) - to go with the wine I would recommend Asiago, Edam or Gouda (no smoked cheeses)Main Dish: Salmon with Vanilla Champagne sauce (a Rachel Ray recipe - the sauce is made with champagne, heavy cream, and vanilla bean) - This dish practically screams for an Chardonnay like 'NO Unoaked Monterey Chardonnay 2007'
Side Dish: Butternut squash and Chickpea salad with Tahini Dressing (http://www.pigpigscorner.com/2009/02/copycat-time-warm-butternut-squash.html) -This dish is not really that sweet, but you might consider couscous with pine nuts and garlic butter for a small taste contrast. (cook the couscous in chicken broth instead of water)
Wine
Dessert: Creme brulee and coffee

My main concern is that most of these dishes have somewhat of a sweet flavor... will it be too much? If so, what can I do to balance it out a bit? Also, any suggestions for which cheeses to serve, and what kind of wine?

Thanks in advance!!
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

SirRichardBear

If your worry is the meal being too sweet think about a good hard bread with a nice olive oil garlic dip. 
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Lady Nicolette

First of all, what a lovely idea!  And the basics all sound great and like they will go well together with a couple of easy additions...

Since there are lots of sweet/vanilla flavors, consider doing some sharper and/or saltier cheeses on your platter, like a sharp cheddar, a gouda and some feta.  You could add a few types of olives as well with the platter.

Definitely a nice chardonnay with salmon, or how about more of the champagne that you'll be using in the sauce?  You don't want to use anything you wouldn't drink, after all, since the flavor will concentrate.

I would do a sort of spicy salad as well, maybe arugula with some nice baby or heirloom tomatoes, or a classic spinach salad, again to offset the sweet and add some color.  Or you could also do a second side of something liked braised rapini.

Have some nice mint leaves to garnish the creme brulee with, or you could dust the top with cocoa  powder or both, again for a color element.

Usually if a meal is lacking in a flavor element, just add something that adds the missing element.  Here, I suggested some tangy, spicy salty things.  I also like to have as many colors as possible, all white or yellow or green or brown indicates missing elements to round out a meal as well.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Charlotte Rowan

Thank you - great suggestions! I think this will be good...

Charlotte Rowan

We had this meal last night, and everything turned out great! I added a spinach salad with toasted almonds, rhubarb and goat cheese for some color and tangy and salty flavors, and I think, as you guys suggested, that was exactly what the meal needed. The food all turned out really good, and my husband even commented that everything went together really well!! :)

Most importantly, my parents enjoyed the meal and appreciated the gesture. Thanks again for the advice!!

Lady Nicolette

Huzzah!  It sounds like it was just a lovely meal!
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine