News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

looks like it will be another wet weekend

Started by duffy, July 21, 2009, 05:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaroncois

That would be awesome! I hope it happens.

Dustis

Maybe I have yet to see it...but...does Sterling really have an ongoing theme that they're known for? Sure we have themed weekends but, for example, Scarby is known for their fearies as is a few more faires. Does this mean Sterling might be known for pirates?

Aaroncois

I suppose if they actually build a pirate village then it might be, but as of now I can't think of a particular theme beyond the main story of Ol Bess visiting the sylvan village of Warwick.

Aaroncois

Yeah, it's hard to picture how a pirate village/ship would fit into the Village of Warwick as it exists today. Putting it at the jousting field would certainly put it in the "center of the action" so to speak.

At the least, a pirate village and a replica pirate ship would be unique and potentially a huge draw for the faire. Hard to picture a pirate ship big enough to hold even a fraction of the people who'd want to be on it, however. Designing attractions for enormous crowds must take a special skill.

SterlingFan

I can't wait for the jousting to be moved !  It would be nice to have a clean & dry place to sit lol.
The Jousting area used to be up near the area where the maze is now.

I like the idea of turning the present Joust site into a pirate area !  I've thought for many years now that Sterling Creek should be utilized in some way.  Maybe punt boat rides too (like those in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England) link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt_(boat).

Oh, & the weather is looking pretty good for this upcoming weekend so far - my attempt at keeping this on topic ;) hahahaha ;D
Home Faire: Sterling Renaissance Festival

"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here !"

duffy

i think to build a pub that looks like a ship on the edge of a man made pond would be the way to go. pirates and rum go hand in hand and you wouldnt have to worry about it having to float. actually building a pub and a bunch of shops all that look like ships would be great. it would make sterling the pirate capital of ren faires and that could only be a good thing.

as for the weather, it rained on us again. been there 3 sundays this year and it rained everyone of them. see you there next sunday, wet of coarse.

Aaroncois

Quote from: SterlingFan on August 02, 2009, 04:43:08 PM

:o

No kidding, really?!? Wow - how long ago was that? I've been going since 91 and it's been where it is now that whole time.

I wish I knew where to find more pics of SRF prior to when I started to visit. It was so sylvan and lovely then. Not better, really, just different and, dare I say it, quieter. That's not a good thing for the faire as a business, but as a patron I sure did like the feeling that I had the place to myself.

Tygrkat

Keep your collective fingers crossed for great weather next weekend ~ it looks like we will ACTUALLY be there next weekend (probably Saturday) and we'll be bringing another couple with us who have never been to Faire, but get more excited about coming the more we talk about it!  ;D

We will also DEFINTELY be there Closing day (Aug, 16)...a happy occasion as it will be my husband's birthday & our 1st wedding anniversary, but bittersweet since it's the last day of Faire.
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

Tazworth

Oh dear gods...don't move the Trial and Dunke again. Finally, this year us dunkers have shade for the second dunk. We have been waiting so long for this day to come. LOL.

PARF has a replica pirate ship that is used by the swords/weapons sellers. You go inside to a showroom of steel weapons. It's really cool and I think something like that would go over well at Sterling. However I like the idea of having it as another sit down pub style place. The weapons in the PA ship wouldn't fly at Sterling as they are all (except for very few) resale items instead of hand made. Mostly fantasy stuff like LOTR swords and Excalibur...things like that. Not saying anything wrong with them. I have some pieces from there. Just saying they are supposed to be handcrafted by the booth owner at Sterling.

So yeah for topic sakes. Weather was hot but gorgeous on Saturday. Sunday was wet in the morning, beautiful throughout the day after say 11:00. THen a downpour during the final Dunke...about 4:45 or so. But again, it was so great to see they patrons stay put. They took cover during the deluge, and then re-emerged from their shelters smiling and laughing and again enjoying the day. One last rain shower ended our day as pub sing came to a close. A great weekend for sure!!

Ya know...if a moderator wanted to move parts of this discussion to it's own topic in regards to the joust field....I am sure it might be a good thing. Plus Sir Douglas may find it easier and may be interested in what we have to say.....just a thought....suppose we could start our own thread too LOL
Brett aka Tazworth
Founder of Family of Faire

SterlingFan

Quote from: Aaroncois on August 02, 2009, 07:08:59 PM
Quote from: SterlingFan on August 02, 2009, 04:43:08 PM

:o

No kidding, really?!? Wow - how long ago was that? I've been going since 91 and it's been where it is now that whole time.

I wish I knew where to find more pics of SRF prior to when I started to visit. It was so sylvan and lovely then. Not better, really, just different and, dare I say it, quieter. That's not a good thing for the faire as a business, but as a patron I sure did like the feeling that I had the place to myself.

I began going to Sterling in 1979, two years after it opened & the joust field was up on Caliban's Way.  I don't remember what year they moved the joust. 

My Mom has a lot of pics of the earlier days that I need to go through.  When I find some I'll scan them & post them for you guys !  I know what you mean Aaroncois about the feeling of having the place to yourself.  I felt that way the last time I went on July 26th - arriving right at opening then quickly heading down to the lower sections is very quiet & peaceful in the morning !
Home Faire: Sterling Renaissance Festival

"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here !"

Lady Rebecca

Personally, I thought the rain yesterday was wonderful. It felt very Scottish to me. I also thought it was interesting that both the earlier rain and the later downpour seemed to be cleared up when people started playing bagpipes...

Ozium

I don't mind the rain or the heat, but why does it have to be humid this weekend?

Oh well, we will make the most of it just the same.
Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

MMario

Quote from: Lady Rebecca on August 03, 2009, 06:12:00 PM
thought it was interesting that both the earlier rain and the later downpour seemed to be cleared up when people started playing bagpipes...

*grin* someone else noticed that....