News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Weddings at Faire

Started by Tygrkat, May 20, 2008, 05:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tygrkat

I'm getting married at Sterling this summer and I'd love to hear from others who got married at Faire, or who are planning a wedding at Faire at some point in the future. Is there anything you wish you would have done differently? Something that helped make the day go more smoothly? How did you/ will you handle your non-rennie friends and family? Why did you decide to get married at Faire?

For us, we couldn't imagine anything more perfect than declaring our vows in front of friends and family in such a beautiful, romantic settiing {plus, we're not really 'religious' and don't want a 'church wedding'} and then having an ENTIRE FESTIVAL for post-ceremony revelry and merriment! A hearty mug of ale, a jousting tourney and a pub sing beat the pants off of a Dj and the "Electric Slide" ANYDAY!!!

;D
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

knarlyknot

I was married at TRF in 1999 for many of the same reasons that you listed.  You'd be surprised how non-rennie friend and family may react.  My Dad wore tights to our wedding!  And even my husband's 80 year old grandmother dressed up, and had a fabulous time riding in the rikshaw I might add.  We did the typical pictures and then we did one with everyone who dressed up.  The only downside I had was people assumed we were cast so we had complete strangers sitting in the second row of the chapel, my dad had to move them down so he would have a place to sit after he gave me away.

Tygrkat

I don't think we'll have too much issue with people thinking our ceremony is part of 'the show' as Sterling does them at 9am, so hopefully that will help with keeping the ceremony intimate - we're only inviting 50 people to the ceremony & private reception, but letting EVERYONE know the date so if they want to join us later and lift a tankard with us, they are more than welcome ! :)

I'm hoping some of my more uptight family members will get into the spirit of things too, Knarlyknot! My Stepdad and his wife had a Renaissance-themed wedding last March {my mom passed away in 2005 and he re-married} and one of my sisters and her husband and kids go to BARF every year, in garb , so I know some of them will 'get it', but I think this will be the first time at a Faire for most of them'.

Did anyone include any special info with their invitations? I'm planning to include maps from the hotels where folks will be staying to Sterling, and I will mention that 'dressing up' is definitely encouraged but certainly not required, but I'm wondering if there is any info I could provide to help those new to Faire feel a bit more comfortable?

lys1022

We got married at Sterling as well, the first year that the wedding gazebo was in place as a matter of fact. :)

If you haven't ordered a cake yet, you might want to consider just ordering a selection from the Mile High Cake booth.  We did that, and it worked out PERFECTLY!  We had five different flavors, and the pieces were big enough that most people could share and taste all of them.

I'm still annoyed that I only got one bite of my Black Forest Cake, though!  I kept getting pulled away, and by the time I got back to it, they'd cleared the tables.  WAH!  :(

Another thing that we did, that I don't know if they still do, is rather than have a sit down meal, we just got everyone food coupons and let them eat while they were out and about at the faire.  Every guest got a main dish, a dessert, and a drink coupon. 

Anyway, I hope that your wedding goes as well as ours did. :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

knarlyknot

As far as extra info in the invites, we said that dressing up was encouraged but not required and that if they chose not to dress up that very casual was the way to go.  Mid-day in October can be muggy and hot and we didn't want people showing up in typical wedding attire only to be uncomfortable the rest of the day.

Tygrkat

Lys, we are doing something similar for our cakes - we chose to go with having the sit-down meal at the reception {easier on the non/not-yet-rennies  ;) and a bit more initimate}, and with that Sterling offers 4 cakes of our choice from a list of 8 or 10 different flavors. We picked A strawberry tall cake, a super chocolatey one, one with amaretto mousse and white chocolate, and  fourth that I can't recall at the moment because I'm too focused on when I'll be able to get my dress right now  :P

Knarlyknot, that is a good point, I'll need to remind my guests that aren't coming in garb to dress for a day outdoors in August  :)

Tygrkat

Here's a little update for those who may be interested  :)

My gown is currently under construction and should be here before the end of the month. Some of you may remember the Wee Wench from our previous home - she's making the gown, and judging by all the other work I've seen, it should be stunning. I'll be sure to post pictures when I can  ;D

Also, my Fiance and I went to Sterling yesterday and had a look at the wedding chapel, as we hadn't really thought to check it out while at Faire last season, and it's PERFECT. We could hear the frogs in the pond singing below, and there was a bird's nest in the rafters....*sigh*....and strawberry blossoms along the stairway leading to the chapel (which, for those of you who haven't seen it, is an open-air pavilion}

AND the Bad Dog Tavern...we love it! Robin forgot her key so we didn't get to go in, but one of the screens was loose so we peeked in and it looks perfect, and smelled lovely, like fireplace and stone and wood....we are super excited, and I have some great ideas for simple decorations....

;D :) ;D :) ;D :) ;D :) ;D :) ;D :) ;D :) ;D :) ;D :) ;D

Trillium

We had our reception the next day at my parents house.  We lived an 1 1/2 - 2 hrs from faire and that way anyone who didn't make it to the faire (or didn't want to) could still celebrate with us at the reception.

And expect strangers at your wedding.  We only invited about 25 people but the chapel was full of spectators.  It's just part of having a wedding at the faire.
Got faerie dust?

Tygrkat

Hi Trillium!  :)  We were originally going to have the reception at my Mother-in-law's house, but the planning would have been a bit overwhelming as the Grandmother-in-law has a tendency to micro-manage and complicate any family event...so having the reception at Faire will help to alleviate any tension around that....

...we're having the ceremony at 9am, and opening gate is at 10:30, so that should cut down on the wandering strangers, but I have a feeling we may get a few unexpected "well-wishers" as the reception starts at 1:30pm and is in the main Tavern. I'm sure there will be signs indicating that a private party is in progress, but I also know I should expect the unexpected...the more the merrier, I suppose  ;D

knarlyknot

Wow, the chapel does sound amazing, magical even!  The only advice I have left to give is don't expect perfection, go with the flow and remember to have fun!

Tygrkat

Thanks, KnarlyKnot! We were definitely thrilled when we saw it - I didn't stop smiling the whole time we were there {of course, being on the grounds at Sterling does tend to have that effect  :)} and you're right ~ we couldn't dream up a more magical place to have our wedding

If there are no major catastrophes, and everyone has a great time, that is my idea of a perfect day, so I think once things are under way, I should be able to relax and enjoy my Husband, My Friends & Family, and all that the Festival has to offer... ;D

Lady de la Warr

We are getting married September 20th at PARF. The ceremony and "official" reception will be private. They have a feasting glen that is sort of separate from the faire, so no spectators will be allowed or be able to get in. In fact I believe you need a food ticket to get into the feasting glen. The faire issues tickets to the bride and groom to pass out to the guests. That gets them in the gate (so free admission for them - really we're just paying for it) and then they show their food ticket to get into the glen for the ceremony and then they give their food ticket to the attendant at the reception when they go through the food line (at least I think that's how it works). That way you have no crashers or people who think this is part of the faire (i.e. think you are cast).

It's very expensive so we have had to limit the official wedding to family and close friends only. However once all the official stuff is done we plan to meet up with everyone at the Swashbuckler's Pub - where I hope that anyone who is part of the Renfest community who wants to show up that day will meet and celebrate our most joyous occasion with us  :)

Our cake, flowers and reception are part of the wedding package. The photographer and officiant are our responsibility. They recommended a photog and officiant and we went ahead and hired them. We figured these people are experienced doing faire weddings so know how its done. We have written our own ceremony and it's going to be unique and will include some theater as we are integrating our faire personas into the ceremony. There will be a lot of improvisation and probably some impromtu theatrics so it's going to be memorable and fun!

We too are telling guests that garb is encouraged but not optional. I'm not sure how many family will dress but I hope most of them do.

And.......we are having it at faire because.............well.........it's FAIRE!!!

Scotsman

Quote from: Lady de la Warr on June 07, 2008, 04:26:32 PM
And.......we are having it at faire because.............well.........it's FAIRE!!!

... and I was invited!  ;D

I still can't believe Lady Guinness and I made the list - we are so excited!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Tygrkat

We are getting married September 20th at PARF. The ceremony and "official" reception will be private. They have a feasting glen that is sort of separate from the faire, so no spectators will be allowed or be able to get in. In fact I believe you need a food ticket to get into the feasting glen. The faire issues tickets to the bride and groom to pass out to the guests. That gets them in the gate (so free admission for them - really we're just paying for it) and then they show their food ticket to get into the glen for the ceremony and then they give their food ticket to the attendant at the reception when they go through the food line (at least I think that's how it works). That way you have no crashers or people who think this is part of the faire (i.e. think you are cast).

The Bad Dog Tavern at Sterling is an indoor pub, but  it's right on the lanes, and I'm not sure how they handle ticketing, or 'privacy' for the reception - the guests' admission to the Festival is covered in the reception package as well, but I don't know if they hand them out to us to give to the guests or what - I guess I should figure that out  ;)

It's very expensive so we have had to limit the official wedding to family and close friends only. However once all the official stuff is done we plan to meet up with everyone at the Swashbuckler's Pub - where I hope that anyone who is part of the Renfest community who wants to show up that day will meet and celebrate our most joyous occasion with us  :)

We're in the same boat, keeping the guest list for the ceremony and reception to no more than 50 people {the minimum for having the reception at Sterling} and are also extending the same invitation to join us at the Festival to share in celebrating the day to all of our R/F faire-mily and friends  ;D
So far only my Fiance's Grandmother has voiced any issue with our limited guest list {to my MOH/Sister-in-law-to-be, not us, but that issue is a different post and forum unto itself  :-\} but we only have the budget we have to work with, and most everyone else is understanding of that, thankfully.

Our cake, flowers and reception are part of the wedding package. The photographer and officiant are our responsibility. They recommended a photog and officiant and we went ahead and hired them. We figured these people are experienced doing faire weddings so know how its done. We have written our own ceremony and it's going to be unique and will include some theater as we are integrating our faire personas into the ceremony. There will be a lot of improvisation and probably some impromtu theatrics so it's going to be memorable and fun!

Our cakes, decorations for the wedding pavilion, and the reception itself are included as well. We chose our photographer early on. Shooting our wedding will be his first time at Faire, but he's a photographer who shoots some weddings, not a "Wedding Photographer" and he's thrilled to get to shoot something unique. We still haven't found a suitable officiant yet, but we have the contact info for the Sterling J.O.P, and he officiates the Renewal of Vows weekend at Sterling, so he's no stranger to weddings at Faire  ;)
We are writing our ceremony as well, although we haven't created Faire personae yet, we're hoping for everyone to really enjoy themselves and get into the spirit of things...

We too are telling guests that garb is encouraged but not optional. I'm not sure how many family will dress but I hope most of them do.

I couldn't agree more....HUZZAH!!!  And many wishes for a joyous marriage to You and Yours, Lady de la Warr!!
;D :D ;D

Lady de la Warr

Quote from: Scotsman on June 09, 2008, 06:13:07 AM

... and I was invited!  ;D

I still can't believe Lady Guinness and I made the list - we are so excited!

Of course you made the list Milord (and Lady)!! You are the best man (or what would that be in "period" speak???)

We have several close friends who are also members of the forum. We truly regret we can't accommodate everyone - but like I said - the pub is the destination after all the "official" family stuff so anyone and everyone who wishes to do so is quite welcome to join us in the festivities!!

To the pub!!  :)

Milady Tygrkat33 - HUZZAH to YOU!! I wish you the very best, most joyous marriage as well! I wish you much luck in your search for an officiant. And very much luck with the Grandmother situation. I guess some folks just don't understand that we aren't made of money! I'm sure it will all work out for you just fine.   :)