News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Has the popularity of Pirates passed?

Started by Obadiah Jib, July 30, 2009, 12:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackjack Roberts

maelstrom0370

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on August 07, 2009, 08:47:49 AM
So everyone is certain that Pirates are eternal?

Whether in the mainstream or more of a "Cult Classic", they'll always be around in one form or another.

Captain Jack Wolfe

Pirates have been around since man's first attempt to transport anything of value on the water.  In future centuries, pirates will be intercepting interplanetary shipments of goods.  We're not going to disappear, my brother.  Not ever.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Welsh Wench

Aye! As long as there are silk shirts billowing in the sea breeze and scuffed up boots and men in cavalier hats who look out from the rigging to the horizon with a faraway look in their eyes...

**SPLASH!!**

Thanks, I needed that. But did you have to make it ICE water?  >:(
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

Same here, i was piratin' well afore said talking pictures an I'll be a piratin' long after they stop making POTC flix.
O'course - they made it hugely popular and I think a lot o that will stick.

Resaon I became pirate?  We realized early on that the pirates had waaaaaay more fun at faire!  Better alcohol too!
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

Captain Jack Wolfe

Quote from: Welsh Wench on August 07, 2009, 09:22:07 AM**SPLASH!!**

Thanks, I needed that. But did you have to make it ICE water?  >:(

Blame it on climate change, or whatever it is they call it these day, darling.  ;) :D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

groomporter

Everything ebbs and crests. I occasionally have said I've been doing Scottish since before a "Highlander" was a TV cult. If you were old enough to see them in a theater you'll remember there was quite an increase in kilts at fair after the movies Braveheart and Rob Roy both came out in 1995.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

maelstrom0370

Quote from: groomporter on August 07, 2009, 10:20:09 AM
Everything ebbs and crests. I occasionally have said I've been doing Scottish since before a "Highlander" was a TV cult. If you were old enough to see them in a theater you'll remember there was quite an increase in kilts at fair after the movies Braveheart and Rob Roy both came out in 1995.
I'll never forget the year Braveheart came out cuz it was the first season the resort I used to work for started hiring UK students; among them, several Scots. I was embarrassed by how many Americans could suddenly trace their lineage to William Wallace!  :P

Capt. Bacardi

Quote from: Welsh Wench on August 07, 2009, 09:22:07 AM

**SPLASH!!**

Thanks, I needed that. But did you have to make it ICE water?  >:(

Well we where not going to use the rum...... :o
BLOODY HELL!!!!
..It is only a flesh wound..
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

RumbaRue

Regards to the question, probably not.

I was into a pirate group long, long before any POTC movie came out. In fact 13 years worth of pirate acting prior to any POTC movie....which is probably more than any of you have done.

Yup, I've been around for many, many years, and don't look a day over 30.

oh shut up Mad Jack!
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

HandsomeJames

I think you will see the same amount or a slight decrease in pirates at festivals.  Mostly what you will see are the hard core pirates and less of the "plastic" pirates.

I know in my ship added people for the first time in a couple of years.

Handsome James Bonney
-Bloodwake

groomporter

Quote from: HandsomeJames on August 08, 2009, 12:17:46 AM
and less of the "plastic" pirates.

In other words my booth help will have to give up playing "slap Jack" -kind of like "slug bug", they whack each other in the arm whenever they see a bad Capt. Jack Sparrow costume.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Captain Jack Wolfe

Like the one last year who had toilet paper stuffed in his saggy boots to keep them from falling down, which they did anyway?  ::)

Welsh Wench

Trouble with plastic pirates is, if you leave them out in the sun too long, they melt.  ;D

Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Captain Jack Wolfe

This one sure did!  It was sad.  Very, very sad.