News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

If you could make garb to match a portrait........

Started by DonaCatalina, May 08, 2008, 02:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

operafantomet

Quote from: jmkhalfmoon on June 02, 2008, 03:07:18 PM
Thank you,  I figured that is why there were no full length images of the painting anywhere.  I love the redwork on the collar and cuffs.  The use of red seems unique, I've really only noticed blackwork in most paintings.
Although Italian, there are some redworked surviving chemises here:
http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/workbox/extcam.htm

:)

Sir Henry, you'll look smashing! I dig that portrait and his outfit.

HenrySidneyKG

Thanks for the moral support!  I did the embroidery for this image for a guildie of mine a couple of years ago.  It was 95 stitchouts on my embroidery machine at 45 min each!

And here is how it turned out after the tailor took my work and put approx 3000 (yes, that is 3 thousand!) freshwater pearls on it:

The embroidery I can do, it is the time and talent for contruction that sometimes evade me.

Sir Henry

jmkhalfmoon

operafantomet

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

I have about decided that this will be my next project for myself.
I may be bald headed by the time I get the French Hood made, so I expect lots of moral support.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

TiaLD77

I have the materials Gathered for this gown, I just have to get up the nerve to start it.

Quote from: GirlChris on May 12, 2008, 06:09:06 PM
Honestly, I would do the portrait of Lady Guildford.

I just love love love the chains and the pintucked foresleeves. So nifty!
I want to play with your head like a drunk kitten:)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

This is a recreation I have been wanting to do for some time. I can only assume that I am going to need a lot of 40% coupons to pull this off. Not to mention an Embroidery machine that can upload a Blackwork design from a disc.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gem

You people all know that blackwork and other embroidery call all be done by hand, right?  Ya don't need all that fancy modern technology....    ;)

Lady Rosalind

True, but I think most of us would like to be done in under two years...  ;D I will make the attempt this winter, when things die down a bit...  ;)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

There are those like me, gem, that have not done Embroidery since they were young girls.

Lady Rosalind is correct. Doing a gown from a portrait in 2 years time is doable with the aid of time, money, and modern technology. ;D
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

verymerryseamstress

Lady Kathleen, email me.  Did you know that I just bought a new Husqvarna embroidery machine that can do embroidery designs up to 14" x 12"?  I can help you.   ;)

I have a client who is thinking about having me make either that dress, or the Ditchley: http://www.marileecody.com/gloriana/elizabethditchley.jpg

*SWOON*

I'll be happy with either one. . .   Now, if only I could talk her into letting me do both! 
I'm your very merry seamstress.  How may I help you?

Taffy Saltwater

Sveethot!

jmkhalfmoon

Quote from: gem on June 09, 2008, 03:05:22 PM
You people all know that blackwork and other embroidery call all be done by hand, right?  Ya don't need all that fancy modern technology....    ;)

I do my blackwork by hand.  Great past time while watching TV/movies, but it sure would go faster with a machine.

Tudor-Diva

Ah heck, why not!  ;D

I am always looking for ideas about this dress, particularly color analysis and if you look closely, just below her bust at her waist, it looks as though there is a different fabric.  I would welcome any input from anyone who is experienced in Italian gowns or who has made this before.

This image was taken from this site:  http://www.monalisarevealed.com/
Stacy Bakri