News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Tudors

Started by daylight, May 21, 2008, 07:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyMeg

I actually rather like this show.  Historicall accurate?  Ha!  No.  But that's alright with me.  It's an interruptation, which means they can take a 'feel' of something or inspiration from something and play with it.  Like all the Camelot movies or the Robin Hood movies or any period movie at all.  Theatre does it all the time and yet... there's not alot of flak that gets tossed into the public about it.  We just go along with it and go: Its theatre, it does that.  Its TV, it does that... with everything and I enjoy it.  Greatly.  It's my indulgence.

The costumes, sure are a little rock and roll, but I like them.  I've always like the fantasy twist on historical stuff.  It's playful, fun, and in performances, costumes are meant to represent and symbolize a character, help an audience subconsciously interrupt the characters in their basic sense.  It's a visual thing.  Every single show does it. 

I like the cast for the most part, but I'm 21, so I like to drool at the guys...lol...  I'm a fan of Jonathan Rhy Meyers, but I haven't seen the new season so I can't attest to the change in voice.  Maybe that was a producer/director decision or something?  Who knows what they tell actors to do.

I like that it's getting a different group of people besides us crazy folks to watch something like that.  Maybe it'll inspire someone to come to a faire?  Or read up on history and get interested?  That's always a BIG plus.
|LadyMeg|
________
Galene, Nereid in pirate form
Lady Alethea Talbot

daylight

For me I just like the show. Does not matter if it is H/A  I don`t watch for a history lesson I watch it  because I like it. It is fun to watch all the stuff that happens and a lot happens in one night so you really have to watch every time it is on. I just like the tudors in fact I love it both me and my husband watch it  together. He really likes the show.  What can I say but I`am hooked on the tudors ;D

Kiss-me-Kate

I love this show too.  Don't care if is H/A.  Just like attending/working at fest, it is an escape for me.

~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

CountessofPhoenix

I think one of the things I like is that the show reminds us that these were people just like us. The whole Henry, Katherine, Anne thing is not too far off from the Charles, Diana, Camilla situation. Remember the tabloids!!! As we read history books we sometimes forget that these were people just like us, and that is the lure of The Tudors. Flesh and blood, and honey there is some fine flesh being shown here!!!! ;D
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

greenknightslady

I love the show. I don't think anyone ever claimed that it would be historically accurate, did they?
I love the story of Henry and his wives and I am glad to see that there will be another season. I was afraid it would end after the whole Boleyn fiasco. I enjoy period shows and movies and they ispire me when I am ready to sew a new costume. Not to mention they made a crazy King Sexy as h-e- double hockey sticks.
I watch it for what it is, entertainment, not a history lesson...
Wenches Rule! Court Ladies Drool!
No offense...

Obadiah Jib

While not historically correct I will say 3 good things about the Tudors.  1:  The CGI back shots of the buildings and cities are wonderful!  2: The characters of Queen Katherine and Thomas Moore are well done in spirit.  3:  The series might introduce a few more people to a time period we here on RF.com all love.  Who knows, some of them might pick up a book to get a better picture of the story.
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

nliedel

It's some of the very little I've got, so I watch. I too am bothered by the fast and loose history, more than anything else. Although it's not nearly as dreadfull as, "The Other Boleyn Girl." Mary raising Elizabeth, bah! Tell that to Kat Ashely.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

renfairephotog

Best Buy has the first season dvd on sale this week.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

daylight

Hey thanks for the info. I got to watch some of the first season and that`s all, but I got to watch all of season 2 so I was wanting to see all of season 1 as well

Miranda

I do watch it....for the glorious train wreck that it is, Smut with a Henrecian flair.  My biggest issue is the complete muck up of the Charles Brandon and Mary (Margaret) Tudor subplot...mostly because they've completely eliminated Lady Jane Grey from the "Tudors Historical Record" by doing so.
From a costuming stand point, I was irritated by 3 things.  The Degas Ballerina Masque dresses, unbalanced headgear, and otherwise appropriate dresses without smocks....this was a big deal for me in one episode because Anne Boleyn was wearing a dress with two piece sleeves, and you saw bare elbow where there should have been smock.

Mostly, the "What in God's Name was That" moments are priceless,  so watch with your friends and make a drinking game out of it.
Lady Margaret Howard -The Order of St. Thomas More.

Lady Caroline

I agree with every single point already made!  And I still LOVE it to bits.  Glorious eye candy.

Season two was much better than the first, I think I cried for one reason or another, in every single episode.  But the final episode, during the execution, I was literally sobbing.  Actually I sobbed during every execution in season two. (and there were so many!)

The fantasy of the costumes is beautiful.  The actors and actresses are beautiful.  The sets are beautiful.  All unrealistic, of course, but that's the point, I think.

I think I read somewhere that JRM was sick during much of the filming of season two, which might account for the voice change?

Can't wait for season three........

daylight

I to am looking forward to season 3 and can hardly wait for it to get here. I love alll the costumes and the grander of all that it is.

FortuneRose

I too will admit that Its a guilty pleasure of mine.  Historical accuracy...  heck no, but fun none the less.  I enjoy it.
LLVW

Danni

We gave it two episodes, and then quit. As a costumer, I was ready to drag theirs out into the street for some good old fashion drawing and quartering (sleeveless, shiftless ballgowns and pleather jerkins?). The prop master too, using guns that hadn't been created for another hundred years!

I know people love the drama in it, and I love a good drama, but I found the liberty that they took with, well, everything, too distracting to concentrate on story. I think if they had just created a fictional village in a non-descript era, with non-famous characters, it would have been great. But instead, I have people at work who are arguing with ME about English history, because they think what they saw on The Tutors is accurate! I fear that this is what the youth of our nation will believe at face value.

The Lady Mercedes

While I am not pleased w/all the inaccuracies, I am hooked on the show & can't wait for season for this coming spring. However, I am concerned about how far they'll take it...
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!