News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Important Information Regarding GLMF'S Future

Started by wyldfire, August 03, 2009, 09:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyldfire

For our family that may not be aware, the following flyers were distributed at GLMF yesterday.  Please take the time to read through this, and to help us save our faire.  Please be aware that this IS serious.  It IS possible we could not have a faire next year.

This isn't "just a rumor", this isn't "something that always happens to GLMF", this is fact, this is time to unite.

The Flyer:

Certain members of the Trumbull Township Board of Trustees have  for years tried to close this show for personal reasons.  They have filed dozens of frivolous lawsuits (which they have never won), costing tens of thousands of dollars to defend.

Now they are trying a new tactic, one which may work.

If you do not want to see this unique form of family entertainment gone forever from N. E. Ohio, we urge you to call them direct and let them know how you  feel.

They are:

RON TAMBURRIO
6666 Dawsey Road
Rock Creek, Ohio 44084
440-474-4216

JOHN T. MCMAHAN, III
6419 St. Rt. 166
Rock Creek, Ohio   44084
440-474-4204

WILLIS CLAY
4695 Hoffman Road
Rock Creek, Ohio  44084
440-563-5476

ALSO, FOR THOSE IN THE AREA, OR CAN ATTEND:

Township Trustee Meeting
Thursday August 13 @ 7:00 pm

If you can make it, please show your support.

Place:  Trumbull Township Fire Hall
1 mile North of the faire on St. Rt. 534

Also, please visit Trevor's board for information.  http://tay666.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=bs
Mrs. Sot *LOL*  That there's funny.....I don't care who you are!!!!

Capt. Morgan

I implore our distant Faire Family to make their voices heard as well. You have travelled many miles, spent money at local places and have helped stimulate the economy of Trumbull township...you have just as much invested in our Faire as we do!
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

mehan

Wanting to get my "far and away voice" heard and I can send duplicate letters - but of the (really long) list on Trevor's site - which contacts would you say would get the most "bang for my buck"? 

trevor ylisaari

I would say probably the best 'bang for the buck' would be the Ashtabula County Commissioners.
Trumbull Township does not collect a sales tax. Only property tax.
So any monetary arguments would fall on deaf ears.

The county though, does collect the sales tax on all the stuff we rennies do.
The bed tax from the hotels, motels, etc.
The gasoline tax from the gas stations.
The sales tax from all the other places we frequent.

Also, since it is the county that funds the sherrifs department, and the prosecutors office.

Athena

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

renfairephotog

This is horrible news. I've never been to GLMF but have friends that have been. Some traveled from TN to GLMF this past weekend.

Fight the fight.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Raine

Good afternoon,

I do a lot of advocacy work and would like to forward letter/and or calls.

While, i attend the faire 6 to 8x a year (since 7th season) I am unaware of the issue(s).

Please provide back round info and/or a link to assist my efforts.

glad to help, raini

Raine

Fot it- Please ignore previous request, i was able to connet to the link given.

I inquired; as his photo link/site is blocked when i attempt to connect while at work.

reviewing now, raini

trevor ylisaari

Yeah, my site gets blocked by many work, school webfilters because of words like weapons, swords, exocutioner and such. Even found out one was blocking me because the word "wench". [shrug]
Go figure.

Scotsman

Any locals out there I implore you to do this:

Contact local business, hotels, restaurants, grocery stores, liquor stores and such. Let them know their pocket books are going to be impacted. The economy rules.

When they understand the impact on the local economy, the business will show up as well and speak for you. They benefit from the faire too.

We MDRFers love GLMF and would hate to see it go away!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Terry Griffith

3 letters sent to the addresses in Wyldfire's post above.  Any other addresses that should get a letter?
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

HawkMom

A friend of mine told me that one of the Renn faires in TX also was running into problems.  To show how much Fair cash flows through the community.  They stamped the Festival Logo and such on every bit of currency that went through the festival to show it contributed to the economy of the area.  I though a brilliant idea. 
The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill, but man's relationship with his hawk.      --- T.H. White

wyldfire

Quote from: Terry Griffith on August 06, 2009, 05:21:25 PM
3 letters sent to the addresses in Wyldfire's post above.  Any other addresses that should get a letter?

Hi Terry!!!!

There are more addresses at:  http://tay666.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=bs&action=display&thread=1980

Long Live Avaloch!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D
Mrs. Sot *LOL*  That there's funny.....I don't care who you are!!!!

KNIGHTNLADY69

All of us New Yorkers have sent letters!!!

Sir William and Lady Julie Ann (aka Mistress Lillith), Blok, and Jesar
~Live by the Sun, Love by the Moon~
Sir William and Lady Julie Ann (aka Mistress Lillith)
...and Woody Square

Old Tinker

me Belle and me have sent letters also.
me thinks, some just do not understand the $$ involved, that are spent at a ren fest and the surrounding community, or mayhaps a vendetta against this type of entertainment.
good Scotsman's idea is perfect, when you start gett'n the chamber of commerce (business's) involved, politicians start to listen (a'lot of campaign $$, come from local business's).
i be the Old Tinker and his Belle...
Loveland "Castleteer"
Travel Safe, Travel Far