News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

DSLRs

Started by Manwariel, August 03, 2009, 08:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbaldock

Quote from: Manwariel on August 14, 2009, 03:47:58 PM
I'm definitely leaning toward the D40 after that website and other research I did. What lens do you recommend for sports/action, namely the joust?

Is this accessory kit worth $40 more than this one?

For Sports / Action shots, like the Joust, it's easier to "stop" the action when shooting with large aperture lenses.

A Simple Reminder - The smaller the "f/" number, the larger the opening that light passes through to reach the Film or Digital Sensor, per unit of time.  So, for a given scene, when you have an f/2.8 lens, twice as much light gets through than a f/4 lens - so you can use twice the shutter speed to "stop" the action in the scene while getting the correct exposure.  There's also the third variable - Film Speed or Digital Sensor Sensitivity.  With a Digital Camera, you can turn Up the sensitivity (ISO number) to compensate for having a smaller lens aperture, but if you turn it up too much, the image ends up "noisy" (brightness levels aren't represented correctly).
(NOTE: I found a detailed explanation here - A Tedious Explanation of the f/stop by Matthew Cole)

So, I'd recommend buying the fastest Nikon Zoom-Telephoto lens that you can afford.  For example, going from most expensive to least expensive:

$2,400 - AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (P/N: 2185)  (Crazy high price, but you get what you pay for.  Equivalent to 105-300mm on a 35mm camera when used with a D40.)
$1,680 - AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (P/N: 2139) (Vibration Reduction I version of the expensive lens.  Equivalent to 105-300mm on a 35mm camera when used with a D40.)
$1,400 - AF VR Zoom-NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED (P/N: 1996) (Will give the equivalent of 120-600mm on a 35mm camera when used with a D40.)
$850 - AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II (P/N: 2192) (Vibration Reduction II version of the $700 lens.  Equivalent to 27-300mm on a 35mm camera when used with a D40.)
$700 - AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED (P/N: 2159)  (This is the one I bought earlier this Summer, before the VR II version came out.  Equivalent to 27-300mm on a 35mm camera when used with a D40.)
$490 - AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (P/N: 2161) (Will give the equivalent of 105-450mm on a 35mm camera when used with a D40.)
$250 - AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED (P/N: 2166)  (This one has a plastic Bayonet lens mount, so always grab the camera and not the lens.  Equivalent to 83-300mm on a 35mm camera when used with a D40.)

I would't spend the extra $40 to get a no-name brand Flash in the $100 Kit.  It would probably be better to save up (or put it on your Christmas Wish List  ;D ) and get the Nikon SB-400 for ~$115.

Hope this helps!

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

DeadBishop

Wow, for only a $50 difference, I'm surprised you're not going with the D60.  Much better option, IMO. 

R/F.com member since 2003

Manwariel

I did find the D40 for $375, which is significantly less than the cheapest I found the D60 for, $540. I read several places that people prefer the D40 to the D60, and I don't remember what else made me lean toward the D40...What makes the D60 better? I know it has more megapixels, but heard the difference between 6 and 10 isn't that noticeable.

Edit: I did quite a bit more research, and I'm pretty sure I'm going with the D40.

dbaldock

As a continuation of my previous post, the large aperture telephoto lens that I would like for shooting wildlife, but can't afford, is the:

$4,600 - $4,900 - AF-S VR NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED  (It's not too big, compared to the 400 - 600mm lenses, but it's still pretty dog-gone expensive!  Equivalent to 450mm on a 35mm camera when used with a DX type camera, like your D40 or my D90.)

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Manwariel

The D3000 is almost out. http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3000-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G/dp/B002JCSV5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250968719&sr=8-1

Would you recommend this over the D40 and D60? It looks pretty spiffy.

dbaldock

Quote from: Manwariel on August 22, 2009, 02:20:59 PM
The D3000 is almost out. http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D3000-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G/dp/B002JCSV5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250968719&sr=8-1

Would you recommend this over the D40 and D60? It looks pretty spiffy.

Well, it looks like Ken Rockwell says that the D3000 is probably going to be the replacement for the D40, and that it will be his recommended starter camera.

Quote from: [u][b]KenRockwell.com[/b] - [i]D3000[/i][/u]
Recommendations

Buy a D40 today, or wait for a D3000.

I expect to love the D3000 when I get my hands on it.

I'll miss the 1/500 sync of the D40, but will love the 3" LCD and Gen II performance.

Honestly, if you already own a D40, I see no reason to buy a D3000, but for people who ask what to buy, the D3000 may become my top recommendation since I suspect the D3000 replaces the D40.

Price and Availability

Price

$599.95 at introduction, including the excellent 18-55mm VR lens.

Announced

30 July 2009.

Available

Expected late August 2009.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Manwariel

I decided for sure on the D40 and was going to wait several months before purchasing a camera, but today I saw an hhgregg add listing a deal where you can get the camera, the 18-55mm lens, a 55-200mm lens, a case, and an instructional DVD for $550 + tax. So I went out and bought it. :D

I just can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get the ends of the strap through the metal loops on the camera.  :P

dbaldock

Wow, sounds like you got a great deal!  Enjoy taking pictures!

Sorry, I can't help on installing the Nikon Neck Strap.  I just reused a Tamrac neoprene strap from one of my older film camera bodies when I bought my D90.  I prefer that type of strap with the quick release snaps on each end, so I can remove the strap when using the camera on the flash bracket or tripod.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Manwariel

I got the strap on :)

I am having fun with the camera!  ;D

Tixi

I absolutely love my Nikon d40 - it's simple yet versatile, and has almost all the features as my husband's D90 minus a couple of very advanced ones that I'd never use anyway. The size is small yet substantial, the photos are beautiful, and I am very happy with it.

I've been in the honeymoon phase (with the camera, not the hubby) for almost 3 months now with no problems. He's already had to send his d90 in for repairs! Shhhh! The stock lens is pretty good, but I prefer his mega zoom. We have a macro, too. It's nice to be able to swap lenses.

dbaldock

Quote from: Manwariel on August 23, 2009, 06:15:27 PM
I got the strap on :)

I am having fun with the camera!  ;D

You know, these two statements, when taken together, might be misinterpreted.   :o   ;)

Manwariel

Uh...I don't want to know.  :P

dbaldock

Quote from: Tixi on August 25, 2009, 03:10:19 PM
... He's already had to send his d90 in for repairs! Shhhh! The stock lens is pretty good, but I prefer his mega zoom. We have a macro, too. It's nice to be able to swap lenses.

What sort of issue(s) required service on his D90?

In June, I bought a Nikon USA Factory Reconditioned D90 from Adorama, along with new Nikon 10mm-24mm and 18mm-200mm lenses.  So far, in 2 months I haven't had any problems with mine after shooting ~750 pictures.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Wooln

To answer your question about what broke (This is Tixi's/April hubby by the way).. The built in flash broke, it would not lock back down.

I LOVE my D90, it's a great camera (Photostream here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/blair_wright/), I had a D50 before this one and we recently purchased a D40 for Tixi and she loves it.. Nikon and Canon are both very good platforms IMO.

I have a few lenses now and I would consider the best all around lens the 18-200 ED VRII, it may be a little expensive but if you only want to carry one lens it can cover pretty much everything.

Cheers! See you at Faire

dbaldock

When I ordered my Nikon D90 from Adorama in June, SanDisk had a Mail In Rebate going on their 4GB Extreme III SDHC cards.  I bought 2 cards and received a $30 rebate.  Yesterday, I went to Fry's Electronics and found an AData 16GB SDHC card on sale for $30, and bought it with the Rebate money.  So, it's basically a FREE 16GB card!  8)  It's not quite as fast as the SanDisk Extreme III (22MB/s vs 30MB/s) when transferring data to a PC, but it's plenty fast enough for use in the D90.

When saving pictures in the highest quality and largest image size JPG's, a 4GB card holds 549 shots, and the 16GB holds ~2,200.  That should be enough for a 1 week trip to central California, or a few weekends at the Texas Renaissance Festival ... LOL!   ;D

Take Care,
David Baldock