News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Can't find my tartan!

Started by batninja, August 11, 2009, 08:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groomporter

Out of curiosity, I bounced it off a friend whose family has been merchants of Scottish gifts and kilt accoutrements and active in the local Scottish community. Their comment was:

I feel that it is similar to the wearing of a US Navy pea coat by a civilian. It may be a part of a uniform, but taken out of context, it becomes simply a garment.

I can understand the attitude of the Scottish veteran, but I think the above is part of how I see it, and part of the reason I don't feel guilty about wearing a vintage "Eisenhower" jacket as a civilian. (Watched too much Wild Wild West as a kid and always liked the look of short/cropped jackets  ::) )
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Zardoz

I wear a kilt all the time, I have to endure a lot of people with just enough info (generally wrong) about tartans to make them experts! I callthem the Tartan Police. What's funny to me, is they almost never have a kilt or any tartan on. A few years back at a Sci-Fi convention I was wearing my then new Caledonia kilt, and was in a hotel elevator with a couple friends. We were going like 20 floors from the top down to the ground floor, with a bunch of stops of course. A fellow in a business suit gets on and says in a sort of unfavorable tone:

"Nice kilt"

Me: "Thanks"

Suit guy: "Do you know what Tartan that is?"

Me: "Do I know...Uh, yeah, it's Caledonia"

SG: "Must be new, I've never seen it before."

I was playing along OK, but now I figure this guy is gonna go tartan cop on me...

Me: "It's a univesal tartan, I think it was originally registered in like 1820.."

SG: "Well I've never seen it before, Do have the right to wear it?"

Me: "Right? Yes, I bought it"

SG: "What I mean is did you get permission from......"

Me: "Where do you people get this crap?"

At this point two fortunate things happened, First, My friend Angie told the guy: " Man if you wanna debate your misinformation about kilts and tartan, don't do it with a guy in a kilt, at least not this one!"

Second, The door to our floor opened!

I love my friends!
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Thank you, Zardoz.  I keep forgetting that it's two words like the regiment. If there was anyone who would've known for a fact, free tartan or not, i figured it would've been you.  ;D
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Zardoz

Well, I'm far from an authority on all this, but I have access to a lot folks who are pretty well versed, including in this case active members of the 3rd Scots Battalion.  It just gets to me sometimes when I hear myths and legends about tartans and Highland dress repeated and laid down as rules.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Lairde Daniel

As a proud Scot (Robertson Clan), and a retired Army O6, I think this is just a little too far.  First, I know Fraser and for anyone to question his service is wrong.  Second the Black Watch is a listed Universal Tartan and as such can be worn by anyone, period end of disscussion.  I proudly wear my clan tartan but have others in that are universal and will wear them proudly also. 
Virtutis gloria merces
The Order of Culloden Moor

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Julianne on August 25, 2009, 09:36:29 PM
Fraser of Lovatt,  Inasmuch all you say is true then I, and more importantly a born
Scot, would consider you entitled to don it sir

*Born in Edinburgh, Scotland... August, 1967*

:P

Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Lairde Daniel

Virtutis gloria merces

irish

irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Angus

Quote from: Lairde Daniel on August 26, 2009, 09:42:56 AM
...First, I know Fraser and for anyone to question his service is wrong.... 

...did someone disrespect Fraser?  I must have missed a posting.
Chief cook, and bottle washer...

Julianne

Fraser disrespected?   ???

I probably have not made my own opinions clear.  My intention was to raise the subject of the protocol of doning the Blackwatch tartan due to the Scottish veteran who gave me his strong opinion on the matter.  He felt very disrespected when it was worn casually and assumed free.  He felt very differently on the "free" and "universal" part. :)
I am leaning toward his viewpoint but I'd never stand in the way of a man and his kilt ;)

Lairde Daniel

Understand.  All I can tell you is what the governing body of the Scottish Clans says, and that is the Black Watch tartan is universal.  As a 30 year vet myself, I find no issue with someone wearing a universal tartan.  Now if it is a regimental event, then of course you should not wear it, but otherwise do not see it as a tarnish, if anything it is a nod of respect.  I know Fraser and know his military background and just got a little protective when I thought his service was being questioned.  If that was not the intention, then I apoligize for any misunderstanding.  Hope this clears the deck. ;D
Virtutis gloria merces

batninja

I certainly didn't mean to stir up a hornets' nest with this thread.   Think I'll just stick to jeans.   :)

For the record, I'm an 11-year vet or the US Army (1989-2000), and have verifiable Scottish roots back to the 16th century.   :)

Seriously, this is still good information, and it's nice to get opinions from vets, Scots, experts and hobbyists alike.  For now, since my Dumfries-area ancestry is considered 'lowland', and not a kilt-wearing sect per se, I'm looking at the Galloway district tartan as my choice.

It ain't the years, it's the mileage.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Role with it, brother Batninja!  Can't wait to meet you at TRF!

*pssst, i'll be the big, long haired guy in Black Watch*  :D
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: batninja on August 27, 2009, 12:15:52 PM
Think I'll just stick to jeans.   :)

That is a sad statement indeed!  I hope that certain statements made here do not deter you from wearing a kilt that in my point of view is giving honor to those who have served.  You obviously have a respect for heritage just by your research alone and I see that you would be honorable in your choice of kilt.  :)

See you kilted at TRF... bonny knees and all!  ;)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Ach, lad!  I'm expect'n ta see ye in a kilt!  My grandfather always told me that if you marry a Scot, you are a Scot. 

When you come to camp, AHE,  ask for me and we'll have a pint (and some of my Cinnamon Apple Loki) and talk about The Order...

Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God