News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Accuracy question

Started by DuchessOfHoundshire, August 17, 2009, 09:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuchessOfHoundshire

I have a shirt from years back that I still love to wear, however have somehow lost the leather bodice that did SOOOO much justice to my...well...um...you know whats!  I just found a corset that is simple yet elegant and am wondering if it would be appropriate to wear over the shirt instead of replacing the bodice?

Thank you for your help!

gem

Hail and well met, Duchess!  Welcome to the forum.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.  Maybe you could clarify for us?

If you're wondering if it's OK for you to wear a beautiful corset to Fair as outerwear, SURE!  People do this all the time.

If you're asking if it would be historically accurate to do so... no.  No more than wearing your bra as outerwear is historically accurate for the 20th/21st century (yet, anyway!).

But, as many of us will tell you, you don't need to be historically accurate to dress up and have fun at Fair!

My *only* caveat about wearing a corset as outerwear would be that it's probably best if it has something decorative about it, and doesn't necessarily *look* like a plain utilitarian undergarment.

So "yes" to something like this:

And probably "no" to something like this (not the greatest photo, sorry!):

Have fun!