News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Finding the basics?

Started by Ludovi, August 18, 2009, 08:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ludovi

Okay, I've been reading the character assistance threads so far, and the question still remains in my head... where do you find the information? Books are expensive, and getting them in my hands would be difficult, but if I were to reference internet, where should I look?

I don't have many ideas about what I'm wanting to do, but the few I do have I don't know where to start.

McGuinness

It isn't always 100% accurate, but Wikipedia is helpful as at least a starting point. I personally check the "Today in History" on there most mornings and have found some character ideas from the events and births and deaths listed on there. Just a general old search in Google or another search engine can get you some results too and the Tudorplace website has some good info on nobles and notable figures.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

For my character, I did a lot of research as to the lifestyle of Earls and Countesses during the Elizabethan era. What they wore, how they behaved, the  language, their standard of living, etc.

I also watched a lot of movies to get more of a feel of the clothing I wanted to make. RESEARCH is key to any character one decides to play.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Serenity

I don't know where you are, but surely you have a public library somewhere nearby?  Saves the expense of buying the books until you know which one(s) you desperately must have!
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798