News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What Royal this year?

Started by Lady Elizabeth Howard, August 20, 2009, 06:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gauwyn of Bracknell

We saw and heard one of the Vulgarian 'ladies' belch, that would make the most sea worthy sailor blush - loved it !!  8)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

kcdcchef

yeah, the based the 2007 faire entirely on the vulgarian court. the theme of the faire was vulgarians invade canturbury, or simplified, vulgarians invade. it was a blast.

not all years does kcrf make up their royalty, but many years they do. and many years, they have 2, 3, and even 4 sets of royalty running around. but there is generally at least one true monarch running around, someone that is the real true grand poobah.

Butch

Here's a link to the Kansas City Star's recent article on the Faire:
http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/1428494.html

kcdcchef

so nice to FINALLY see the kcrf getting some love on the boards. huzzah!!! for the longest time, kansas city renaissance festival got ZERO attention on here.

Lady Elizabeth Howard

It just seemed stranged to me at first. The last three years I have been there was always a member of "real" nobility around. But I am looking forward to it greatly. I honestly can't wait. Neither can half our group. Kansas City was my first ren fest and I always look forward to it. And besides how often do you get to dress like Tudor nobility? Not often, and there is nothing funner, or more fun as my mother would correct me, for someone to wear.

Lady Elizabeth Howard

No, but after I heard they great reviews it is on my list of things to catch this time. We always try to attend the Queen's high tea and have nothing but good to say about it though.

kcdcchef

Quote from: Finvarra on September 09, 2009, 09:23:36 PM
I'm glad you enjoy tea.  It's had a higher gypsy content than I can tolerate for the past several years.

Chess match is at 3:30.  Try to get to the Royal Glade by 3:15 because it fills up fast.  Acoustics is horrible there too so try to sit as close to the front as you can.

totally. if you are not sitting down by 3:15 at the VERY LATEST, you are not going to hear most of the chess match. usually those who call the match yell loud enough so you can hear them, but that is it. one year a fop was calling it and you couldnt hear a word. last year, the members of the lord mayor company called it nice and loud. but wasnt as funny as years past last season. regardless, NEVER MISS CHESS AT KCRF. best part of the festival.

Lady Elizabeth Howard

Thanks for the advise. I will relay it to my group and we will try our hardest to be there.

Butch

Yes, I saw the match.  I was sitting on the Fae side.  It seemed that King Radisha (I think that's his name?) had lost his voice!  Nice match, even though some of the pirates arrived late!

kcdcchef

Quote from: Butch on September 10, 2009, 06:51:46 AM
Yes, I saw the match.  I was sitting on the Fae side.  It seemed that King Radisha (I think that's his name?) had lost his voice!  Nice match, even though some of the pirates arrived late!

pretty normal for chess there. from one year to the next, characters always showing up late. some like 5-6 minutes into the match even. one year, the guy calling the match was like 2 minutes late, and it was part of the act. or the year a pirate slid down over the top of you on a wire. that was amazing.

Emerald Shaunassey

Quote from: Finvarra on September 08, 2009, 03:06:36 PM
This isn't the first time KCRF has chosen to use fictional monarchs, but they have always been the "real" king and queen as far as the rest of the cast was concerned. 
BTW, there are actually three sets of Royals: the English, the Vulgarians and the Fae.

My favorite fictional Royals were the year of the Cinderella storyline ... absolutely wonderful!  My next favorite where King Richard and Queen Elenore and the multitude of Princesses and the two Princes.  Both years where joys to work the festival and interact with the Royal Court/Cast.  Even the attendants were a joy to work with. 

So yes, KCRF can do fictional as well as Historical Royal Courts and do them well.  My favorite historical court ... King Henry and Anne Boleyn from many years ago with Rnee O'Bannion portraying Queen Anne - she was a wonderful example and an utter joy to work with!

Ya gotta love King Salmonella and his Queen.  And Crown Prince Tricky ... <sigh>  now that's a court of Royalty any pirate could love!   ;D   LONG LIVE THE VULGARIANS!!!

Emerald
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.