News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

First PA Visit in Many Years

Started by Khaalis, August 27, 2009, 05:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khaalis

Hello all. It looks like m'lady and I will be part of a Sterling Invasion to PARF for the Celtic weekend (Sept 12-13). It has been many years since I was last at PARF, so I was hoping to get an idea of what the best of the best is now.  We can pass on seeing Don Juan and Miguel since they do Sterling as well, but there are a lot of other shows that appear new. Also, what would you recommend as must see vendors and faire fare? Thank ye greatly.
Rogue, Merc and certified RenRat

McGuinness

For faire fare - what types of food do you like? The new owner that took over a few years ago is a former chef and has done a great job with the kitchens, IMHO. The Rusty Scupper is new with fresh seafood and the like. The onsite microbrew is good too, if you like that sorta thing.

Same with vendors - anything in particular you like to shop for? I can let you know my favorites who have it.

I don't get to see many shows since I'm cast, but the plot shows are good this year, especially chess and the jousts. The new "Music with Her Majesty" show has been getting rave reviews - I saw what they were working on during our rehearsal period and it was really good back then. If you like to dance, come to the Peasant Dance shows and we'll teach ya all you need to know (insert shameless plug here). I'd definitely check out the faire's website (www.parenfaire.com) to see what special events are going on that weekend too.

If you haven't been to the grounds for years, you'll be surprised. Lots has been changing lately!

will paisley

Do not, repeat, DO NOT miss Looney Lucy and Ploppy on the Swashbuckler Stage.  They have two shows, and both are completely different.  Do not bring children unless you want to pay for their therapy for many years to come.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

BubbleWright

What Goody said: " There is a .pdf for the daily schedule and another link for a suggested itinerary of shows that includes a map".

http://www.parenfaire.com/Assets/PDFS/dailywrit4.pdf
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Lady de la Warr

Do not miss the archery demonstration. It's amazing what that man can do!

Six Knight's C*ck & Bull Tavern has a to die for cheeseburger! (had to be creative on the name since that one word is censored).

And check out Odd Fellows Leather - they have some great pouches and mug straps.

will paisley

Quote from: Lady de la Warr on August 27, 2009, 01:55:32 PM
Do not miss the archery demonstration. It's amazing what that man can do!

Six Knight's C*ck & Bull Tavern has a to die for cheeseburger! (had to be creative on the name since that one word is censored).

And check out Odd Fellows Leather - they have some great pouches and mug straps.

Ditto the plug for Odd Fellows Leather - I finally found an over-the-shoulder pouch there that's big enough to replace the one I've been using for 7 years, for about half the price you'd expect for something of that size.

Khaalis

Thanks everyone. I have looked at the site, and though it tells me a lot it doesn't tell me enough. LOL

As for food, we will definitely have to check out the Crab Cakes, Crawdads and my dose of Beef on breed (Bull Tavern). There were a number of other items that looked interesting, but some I'd avoid (like the Mexican, as it's just a tad too far afield for me). Some of the things that caught my attention... better Steak-on-a-Stake than ours (we don't have cheese or pierogies), Fried Apples, and for the Lady... of course the "For Love of Chocolate" shoppe.

As for vendors... my typical interests lie in: period passable jewelry; festgear; pirate accessories; Celtic paraphernalia; leather; pointy objects; favors, pouches and other accoutrements. Thanks for the tip on Odd Fellows – definitely have to check them out as my pouches are in dire need of being replaced with something better.

Ok, WHERE is the trebuchet (even though m'Lady may kill me...)?

As for Lucy, I miss her (she used to be at Sterling) so I will definitely have to go by and see her.
Rogue, Merc and certified RenRat

McGuinness

Quote from: Khaalis on September 02, 2009, 07:18:45 AM

Ok, WHERE is the trebuchet (even though m'Lady may kill me...)?

It is installed at the end of the joust list (Bosworth Field).

will paisley

As for vendors... my typical interests lie in: period passable jewelry; festgear; pirate accessories; Celtic paraphernalia; leather; pointy objects; favors, pouches and other accoutrements. Thanks for the tip on Odd Fellows – definitely have to check them out as my pouches are in dire need of being replaced with something better.

There is all manner of pirate stuff at PARF.  There's at least one booth that's nothing but pirate stuff (though much of it tends towards t-shirts and bumper stickers rather than garb - still, it's great for showing off your inner pirate during the week).  There's also a pirate ship up the hill from the Globe Theatre that's full of nothing but pointy things, and most are pretty inexpensive.

Lady de la Warr

As for food, we will definitely have to check out the Crab Cakes, Crawdads and my dose of Beef on breed (Bull Tavern). There were a number of other items that looked interesting, but some I'd avoid (like the Mexican, as it's just a tad too far afield for me). Some of the things that caught my attention... better Steak-on-a-Stake than ours (we don't have cheese or pierogies), Fried Apples, and for the Lady... of course the "For Love of Chocolate" shoppe.

Regarding the Mexican - they have a chicken taco salad which is surprisingly delicious. I usually have one when I go up there for lunch. It really is tasty. And their pierogies are TO DIE FOR!! Make sure you get them with onions - they are awesome!!

And yes Will - Odd Fellows Leather is a WONDEROUS place!! He is making me a custom pouch for my period reproduction eating utensils that I hope will be ready soon  ;)

Damien Ryan

Human Chess, and the Archery exhibition are awesome....master will is insane with that bow!!! 

I thought the joust was a bit short this year, i dunno.