News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Owain Phyffe

Started by Julianne, September 03, 2009, 03:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julianne

There has been much rumour and accordingly many people who have sent multiple messages via several avenue
that Owain Phyffe...is not appearing at AZRF next year.

I have delayed even posting a message such because I find the idea so absolutely ludicrous I find it too hard to believe.

Notwithstanding my respect for the judgement of the people who first brought me the news...all fine and upstanding people...I just can't believe this would be a fact yet.

If the Faire Management is looking for some guidelines....then let your voice be heard.

I, for one, think this a tragic and dire mistake.  Many a newcomer to faire has been enchanted by Owain, gained his loyalty and made AZRF legendary.  Owain is one of the few things that makes AZRF very special.
Keep him please.

Marcos Charron

J

If this is true, then it is a huge mistake for AZRF and a unspeakable loss for faire goers.

Maybe a petition is in order?

V
At the faire or in the wood shop, that's where I am!

Lady Renee Buchanan

I know exactly how you feel, if the rumor is true.

Owain played at Bristol for many years, then all of a sudden, gone, there no more.

He also played at the Olde English Faire at Jubilee College in Peoria, IL, which was wonderful.  This is a small one-weekend faire, very charming, and very informal, so you felt like there was more of an interaction between the performers and the audience.  Then one year, with no forewarning, gone, and hasn't been back.

It's really heartbreaking.  I hope it's only a rumor.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

irregularjoe

Hi folks, it's no rumor.  Owain received a letter from ARF noting only the economy for reason that ARF would not be honoring his contract for the upcoming season.
I received a message from his wife Paula on the day after they received the letter and communicated back to verify.  Between that and spending the long weekend with them in Michigan, as it stands today, and I repeat, as it stands today, he will not be at ARF for 2010.  All of the information that I received two weeks ago from his wife Paula is as it stands after talking with both of them.  I hope that there is time for reconciliation.

Marcos Charron

Damn!

Let's hope things change before faire, no Owain will be a sad thing indeed.

Viscomte

Norfolk

For the past several years, the Baroness and I have started our RenFaire season with a trip to ARF for the President's Day 3-day weekend.  Our home Faire is Colorado, but we thoroughly enjoy ARF, and have been made to feel quite welcome there by Julianne, irregularjoe, et. al.

Last year, one of the highlights of our trip was joining all you ARF regulars for Owain's last set of the day.  It is difficult to imagine a more fitting, or more touching, thing for a group of renrats than what transpired in the pub during Owain's rendition of "A Health To The Company".  We were not, of course, there for the last singing of that lovely song on the last day of your Faire, but I can well imagine there wasn't a dry eye in the pub on that occasion.

Aye, Owain will be sorely missed!
Just call me "Your Grace"

Julianne

I want to do all we can to prevent Owain's departure from our fine faire.
There is time for reconsideration on the part of our owner.

Do what you can faire folk.   PLEASEpleaseplease reconsider AZRF gods that be.

irregularjoe

In case you have not seen it folks, there is a petition for Owain.  Cut and paste this into your browser and sign with a brief message for impact.

www.thepetitionsite.com/1/we-want-owain-phgfe-at-the-arizona-renaissance-fest

Mr. Siegel has also signed it at post # 26 with some less than encouraging words and mentioning only possible guest appearances for Owain.  Something would be better than nothing but I'm not sure it would be economical for Owain to make guest appearances unless they were consecutive weekends.  Either way, I'm going to be selfish here and say that I want Owain back full time :o)

Marcos Charron

Joe

Thanks for posting this.

I signed and encourage others to do so now, let our voices be heard, so we can continue to hear Owains.

Viscomte

holierthanthou

Quote from: irregularjoe on September 14, 2009, 11:33:39 AM
Either way, I'm going to be selfish here and say that I want Owain back full time :o)

Joe... it's not selfish to want Owain back.  Those that hear him love him and want to keep him around.  We have all of his cd's.  I was on cast at Colorado Renaissance Festival.  Owain was always on time for morning meeting and just a pleasure to be around. Owain is family to my hubby and I. 

He is special to so many.  This year I worked a booth across from the stage that our patrons referred to as Owain's stage.  (Even though several other performers are there throughout the day).  I had many comments and complaints that he was no longer there this year.  At least three a day.  He was a highly noticeable loss to CRF.  He would be a great loss to Arizona. 

I do hope you get him back. We weres hoping to visit your festival this year.  Owain and Paige (the elephant) were two of my heartfelt reasons to go.
There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish a small candle.

Norfolk

"He was a highly noticeable loss to CRF."

holierthanthou doth indeed understate!
Just call me "Your Grace"

Marcos Charron

Fellow Folk

The time has come for our voices to be heard. We need to let the faire owners know that this performer is as much a part of our family as we are to each other. We need to act now and before Owain gets snapped up by some other venue for that time.

Vote now!

V

irregularjoe

Hi Folks, it seems the petition may be losing a little steam.  Please, if you haven't already, go to the link below and share your thoughts on the loss of Owain for 2010.  It would be nice to have about 200 signatures altogether.

Joe

www.thepetitionsite.com/1/we-want-owain-phgfe-at-the-arizona-renaissance-fest

Marcos Charron

Joe

Maybe it's time to cross post to other forums?

V

Julianne

I too noticed the extreme lack of numbers within that "petition".

Renaissance Festival owners have their own set of problems and headaches as independent business owners.
It's true that we can't possibly understand all of the reasons behind this decision.  There are always two/hundred sides to everything.

We did what we could...there is nothing more to say.

Change is inevitable and AZRF is a great faire and what's done is done.