News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What be yer favorite Nautical novel?

Started by Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter, September 08, 2009, 07:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barret

I have to second the first post with a vote for the Patrick O'Brian master and commander series. I haven't yet read them all but I plan to, and I will agree that some of them certainly drag at times, but nothing else I have found gives as accurate a portrayal of the life of captain in the golden age of sails. O'Brian did a lot of research for his books and I have had several naval historians tell me that they are the most accurate fictional accounts they have seen. For example most of the battles plaid out in the books are taken from notes in actual ships logs about battles that really happened. He changes the names of the ships and where on the globe they are taking place but the maneuvers and tactics are real. This is just one of the many details that make me like these books. As for the dragging I think it serves as an interesting counterpoint and a reminder that the life of a captain wasn't all flash of the cannon and swing of the sword, but that they also had to play political games to get good commands and move through the ranks, not to mention most of them had families to take care of.

Taffy Saltwater

As a bit of light reading, I am currently in the midst of Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters, by Jane Austen & Ben Winters.  I may break down & buy this on CD as the sound of the banter is giggle inducing.
Sveethot!

Charlotte Rowan

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on December 15, 2009, 09:01:19 AM
As a bit of light reading, I am currently in the midst of Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters, by Jane Austen & Ben Winters.  I may break down & buy this on CD as the sound of the banter is giggle inducing.
I thought about getting that the other day when I was at the bookstore... I might have to, it sounds great!
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.