News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Quick tip for refreshing garb between washes (or for non-washables)

Started by gem, September 19, 2009, 02:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I'm sure that I've mentioned this before, but we've a lot of newer members, and I thought I'd throw it out again.

I steam pretty much all of my garb in the dryer (this is also how I pre-treat wools before sewing).  It's a fabulous way to shake a lot of wrinkles out and generally give new life to your garb, either for non-washables, or for between washing/ironing/drycleaning  Kind of similar to Dryel or home dry-cleaning kits, but without the cost or chemical smell.

Take a bath towel (preferably one you've washed most of the fuzz/lint off of already), get it completely wet, squeeze out a little of the excess (but don't wring it out--you still want it *wet*), and toss it into a dryer.  Set the dryer to high.  Add your garb pieces.  Run for about 30 minutes (until the towel is dry).  Promptly rescue the clothes from the dryer and hang up.  Voila!  Lovely fresh unwrinkled garb!

This works fantastic on silk and wool (you'll never see another wrinkled kilt or crushed silk chemise), really well on cotton gauze and linen (tough creases may still need the iron), and pretty well on heavier cottons.  This is the *only* way I ever "cleaned" my peacock blue velveteen Irish dress (b/c I didn't pre-shrink the fabric before sewing; silly me).  Use caution with delicate synthetics/beads/embellishments, or with mixing colors that might bleed when wet, and don't ever do this to an item that is stained without actually cleaning it first.

I just did my brown linen gamurra and gold-shot chemise (which have been sitting crushed in the bottom of my sewing tote all summer), and they look *fabulous.*

I've been wanting to try adding a little essential oil to the process to get some fragrance benefits, but I'm a little nervous about staining something.  I'll have to experiment.

McGuinness

There has also been another little quick tip around our faire for several years now. A former costumer was very allergic to Febreze and it couldn't be used on any of our costumes, ever. Instead, she used a 50/50 mix of vodka and water. The alcohol kills any odor-causing bacteria and doesn't leave behind any perfumes or the like. Some still use it and the costumer has also let us know that she started using the flavored vodkas and said they work just as well and leave behind a faint smell of lemon or whatever kind it happens to be.

Lady Rebecca

^That's what we used this summer for all the non-washable opera costumes. If you're not allergic to Febreze, though, I would still go with that.

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Casche

I know Texas Christian Univ theatre department uses the vodka/water mixture... except they call it a "secret formula" so no one decides to drink some during a show, heh.  It's serious stuff, after a few sprays, the boys' costumes smell fresh again and the dressing room loses the boys' locker room smell. And it doesn't mask the scent, like febreze, so none of that nasty mixed-smells smell.

isabelladangelo

I have yet to find any piece of garb that is truly non-washable.   For my beaded stuff, I either throw it into the bathtub with enough oxyclean to make the water slightly glossy looking or I stuff it into a pillow case and throw it into a washing machine on low.   

Dayna

Absolutely, and if you're worried about beads rubbing against each other, lay the garment on a sheet, safety pin around the edges here and there and a few in the middle scattered around.  The sheet will keep the beads from coming into direct contact with each other.
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I hand clean all of our non-washable garb using Amway's L.O.C. The Undergarments are Gentle Cycled washed and hung to dry.

There is a product called FRESH AGAIN that kills the enzymes that cause odors to linger in clothing. I used that a lot when I worked at the Costume Shop.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

SweetPandora

I was told that I could hang some of my non-washable garb up in a room with several incense sticks.   The smoke sanitizes the garb and gives it a great scent ;)  Good luck!

Taffy Saltwater

Thanks for the hint about the vodka/water mixture.  I used it on some very vintage furs that were smelly, left them to dry and they came out odorless.  I didn't know vodka could be used externally.
Sveethot!

Hoowil

For some smells, particularly the BO type, you cna also try freezing. Roll it up, toss in a bag in the freezer, and let sit a few days. It'll kill most odor causing bacteria and some must smells, without getting the peice wet at all.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

dragongirl

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on December 02, 2009, 01:27:58 PM
Thanks for the hint about the vodka/water mixture.  I used it on some very vintage furs that were smelly, left them to dry and they came out odorless.  I didn't know vodka could be used externally.
Vodka is also wonderful on glass.  I use it to clean my cut crystal glass from the 1920's.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Celtic Lady

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on September 25, 2009, 03:48:37 AM

I hand clean all of our non-washable garb using Amway's L.O.C. The Undergarments are Gentle Cycled washed and hung to dry.

There is a product called FRESH AGAIN that kills the enzymes that cause odors to linger in clothing. I used that a lot when I worked at the Costume Shop.
My aunt used to be a distributor for Amway years ago and my mom always bought their products. It is a really good product. Just use a little and it rinses out easily. Great for cleaning up greasy spots.

Betty Munro

My vodka never lasts long enough to try it on a garment.  Darn pyrates, they'll drink anything when the rum runs out!

Seriously though, I just bought a llama or alpaca wool sweater, and I'm afraid to wash it ... I assume the vodka trick would work on it ... has anyone used it on wool?  I assume all wool, whether it be sheep or alpaca or llama would all react the same way?  Plus it would be nice to get rid of that slight animal odor.  I guess since it is hand spun home crafted it didn't get the commercial odor eliminator, and it still kind of smells like a farm animal. 

Miranda

The vodka fix works really well, especially if you put in 5 or so drops of lavender or tea tree essential oil into the mix.  Nasty sweaty smells are caused by bacteria.  Alchol is an antimicrobial, hence why it works so well, without the added perfumes of the commercial product.
Lady Margaret Howard -The Order of St. Thomas More.