News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Duchess

Started by LadyShadow, January 08, 2009, 07:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarlett

I loved this movie.  But then, I love Keira Knightly in anything, as well as costume dramas.  ANd it DID WIN an Oscar last night for Costume Design!  Yay!   How the thin, willowy Keira wore those wigs is still a mystery to me.
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Leyla

Quote from: Scarlett on February 23, 2009, 07:48:12 AM
I loved this movie.  But then, I love Keira Knightly in anything, as well as costume dramas.  ANd it DID WIN an Oscar last night for Costume Design!  Yay!   How the thin, willowy Keira wore those wigs is still a mystery to me.

I heard her in an interview talking about the wigs.  Apparently one was so heavy they had someone standing behind her with a pole propping the thing up while she spoke.
The costumes were gorgeous, but I didn't like the movie.  Ralph Fiennes is a slimeball.  I know we aren't supposed to like him anyways, but he grosses me out.  And the supposed love interest...could they have found anyone more bug-eyed.  At least they could have made the love interest appealing for the brief time they were allowed together.  I can handle a sad ending here and there, but this was just down-right depressing.  The beautiful costumes just didn't make the overall movie worth it for me. 

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Actually in the extra's on the DVD they talk about some of the wigs. Some where so big and heavy she had to wear a brace on her neck that also supported the wig. Mainly it was the one that catches fire in the movie from my understanding, but there may have been others.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

The Lady Mercedes

As I said in the other post, good book, good movie. I also liked Marie Antoinette-I'm reading the book too. Besides the renaissance, I love the 18th & 19th centuries for clothing. Wish cothiers paid such attention to details & fabrics today...
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Because of the very busy I have had, I did not get my 18th Century gown made. Perhaps over the winter, I will.

I do have several Regency clothing ensembles to make for myself and my husband for a trip to upstate New York in July for his town's 200th Anniversary. We are going to look as though we stepped out of a Jane Austen novel. Really!!!
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde