News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Serena dei Fiore

Started by nliedel, May 26, 2008, 09:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nliedel

I'm cast in the MiRF cast this year as a flower selling singer (in Italian, from Venice). Among other things, she's sometimes allergic to roses, but it comes and goes, I need help with a list.

I need to get married. I came to England with a betrothed, but the stinker died on the way to England and I am now in a strange land, living off the kindness of his mother. I need to find a husband, or my parents will drag me back to Venice and make me marry a pox riddled old man with no teeth, and we ain't talking chicken pox here.

I am coming up with a list of things I am looking for in a husband in 1568.  I've come up with, must have all his teeth, must own at least sixteen sheep, preferably of noble birth, but anyone making at least 50 pounds a year is doing good enough for me.  Being older, and not desirous of more children, he could be a widower with children, but they should be old enough to be apprenticed out somewhere. I don't cook, I don't clean. I need someone to help with that. He must possess manly calves. That was the six pack of the sixteenth century, and since I am from Venice and read, he has to read.

These ideas should be silly and no man should be able to possess them all, because this is a game. A couple times a day I'm going to drag my list out and go looking for eligible males. I'm going to look for twelve year olds with their moms (in good humor) and see if we can't strike a deal, as well as older men, people having fun with it. Drunk young guys are right out. My character is a tad over eager and smiley, just like me. I can hide my nature for a while, but there's a limit.

I also am going up to twelve-fifteen year old boys and telling them what beautiful wives they have then act astonished when they are their mothers. I figure it's a good way to get rid of roses. Maybe tell father's if they buy roses for their daughters it will make them more marriageable. Remember, I'm playing by the old rules, they choose to join me, or not. Of course being the mother of an eleven year old in real life the embarrassment factor for these twelve year olds is high and every mother loves that.

I got my parchment paper for my list and my husband offered to make it look old for me. It's old now, but it's brand new in 1568. Oh and I'm  going to write part of it in Italian (calligraphy from the Internet) and part of it in English. I figure I can have problems with the English words and have people read a line to me. Tell them I had help with it and then ask them what something silly means.

This character is shaping up. She loves love, but she's overeager and joyous,  just bouncy. A little too bouncy. It keeps me from finding someone.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

DonaCatalina

It seems like first on the list needs to be a man with all his teeth.  ;D

Maybe a man who likes a wife who can handle their own money?
Maybe one who can't read so YOU can keep his accounts FOR him.  ;)

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

captmarga

Lady Mary Brandon at Scarborough has a schtick like that... she starts off with a sign on her Shuttlecock racket..."Husband wanted - must have jewelry", "Young, noble", then by the end of faire it has deteriorated to "Must be able to chew"...

fifty pounds is a hefty sum... so start and the top and let it slide, especially if you have seen those people before!

Run with it and have FUN! 

Capt Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

Marietta Graziella

This sounds like a marvelously fun character!

Perhaps incorporate some attributes from your native Venice to the list.  Not wanting to be drug back home is different than missing parts of your home land.
Can he pole a gondola?  Or at least have good balance?  :D
Does he look good in stripes?   Perhaps have a gondoliers style hat and try it on him to "see how he looks".
How good is he at gesturing with his hands while he speaks, like your dear old Nonno used to do.
When approaching the 12 year old boys, inquire about your "future mother in law", is she a strega nonna?  (being either a witch or a mid wife type of person).

Adding in as many Italian words (that you would of course try to translate for them amid lots of gesturing and perhaps drawings in the dirt) will make it more memorable.

While in TN at RenDezvous my group came face to face with some teenagers.  The one boy was wearing a shirt with a great deal of writing on the front.  I proceeded to read it in Italian, getting "stuck" on some of the words forcing the boy to act out what it meant.  It was very fun.  He played along and his friends had a good laugh.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on June 20, 2008, 02:50:41 PM
Perhaps incorporate some attributes from your native Venice to the list.  Not wanting to be drug back home is different than missing parts of your home land.

The wierder the better... you can make up 'fashionable' traits that men in your village had that made them popular.

Can he pole a gondola? 

Oh, would that be a beautiful (innocent) double entendre to use! Brilliant!

How good is he at gesturing with his hands while he speaks, like your dear old Nonno used to do.
That would be a fabulous lead in to a group-- find a guy who talks with his hands and introduce yourself to them as admiring such an 'expressive, passionate man.'
[/quote]

I used to love the BUM EQUIPMENT Tshirts when they were in style. I would give the guy an impromptu anatomy quiz and ask why he had his bum labeled as being in front when "even our village fool knows that your BUM is behind you."

Now I refer to everyone (even the 12 year old boys) as 'ADMIRAL' when they wear their 'Old Navy' shirts.
Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

NicoleDeLaMer

I would love to meet Serena! She sounds like a lot of fun.  :D
Since she's from Italy, I would include something about how you DON'T want an artist. They are too concerned with sucking up to clergy to do you any good.
Member of...
The International Wenches Guild
The Cleaners' Guild & Association of Certified Personal Assassins