News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Things to do in Scarborough Faire Area

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, November 16, 2009, 05:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: eloquentXI on January 18, 2010, 04:18:35 AM
Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on January 17, 2010, 08:30:05 PM
I hate to tell this to anyone living in a state full of cattle, but I don't eat beef.  Hubby does though. 

Pork? Chicken? Which reminds me, if you like Italian food, I've got a recommendation for food at faire if you don't eat meat at all.

I eat pork sparingly, and I love chicken.  Just not a big fan of red meat.  I live next to Iowa, whose motto is "Iowa corn-fed beef," so I get a lot of flak from the people I work with, but I don't have this "thing" about eating animals, I just don't like the taste of red meat.  I know I'll find lots of delicious food on our vacation, and I can always accompany blue to eat vegetarian, of which I also eat a lot of.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Queen_of_Navarre

while your in Waxahachie go dine at the haunted, but charming Catfish Plantation.
http://www.catfishplantation.com/
Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

CelticOne

Just had a thought for Italian food that I loved when I lived down there. Taste of Italy  I could eat the garlic rolls they serve as an appetizer and be happy with that. ;D
The mind is like a parachute, its best when open.

Merlin

Quote from: Queen_of_Navarre on January 21, 2010, 06:48:49 PM
while your in Waxahachie go dine at the haunted, but charming Catfish Plantation.

There's a lot of haunted stuff in Waxahachie.
Oooo...you should go see the Munsters Mansion while you are there too. It's pretty awesome.
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

mieljolie

Quote from: Merlin on January 21, 2010, 10:51:54 PM
...you should go see the Munsters Mansion while you are there too. It's pretty awesome.

That is so cool!  We are big Munsters/Addam's Family fans.  I checked out their website at: http://www.munstermansion.com/NewSite/index.php.  But, it says it's only open in October.  :(
Royal Order of Landsharks - Guppy No. 85

Ryk Rakham

Quote from: Queen_of_Navarre on January 21, 2010, 06:48:49 PM

I brought this one up earlier and I'm going to second the queen here. This is a cool place. The fish is incredible, the prices are good and it has been featured on the food network as one of the top seafood places to eat and on the travel channel as one of the best "haunted" places to eat. We haven't had any paranormal experiences there, but a friend says she felt something cold brush her cheek while she was in the ladies room! Dinner and a haunting....
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Phoenix on January 21, 2010, 10:14:09 PM
Just had a thought for Italian food that I loved when I lived down there. Taste of Italy  I could eat the garlic rolls they serve as an appetizer and be happy with that. ;D

Last year we ate here after Faire, still dressed and were treated like royalty.  The food was excellent !
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

wildthingjew

Quote from: Merlin on January 17, 2010, 10:33:51 AM

Texas de Brazil is a great choice if ya like meat! It's in downtown Fort Worth.
is the texas one good, my 11 year old and i go to the one here in illinois, we get into love field airport on thursday evening at 8 and have to pick up the car from hertz at airport do you think that we can make the restaurant before they close at 10? is it worth the rush and the money?
jamie, mother of miss katie scarlett

Lady Kett

Wildthingjew - there are 2 other Texas de Brazil locations in the DFW area. One on Cedar Springs Road is much closer to Love Field. Their website is here: Texas de Brazil.

There are 2 other restaurants that I know of that are a similar concept -

Boi Na Braza
Fogo de Chao

We like our meat in Texas! :)

Merlin

Quote from: wildthingjew on January 23, 2010, 05:35:14 AM
Quote from: Merlin on January 17, 2010, 10:33:51 AM

Texas de Brazil is a great choice if ya like meat! It's in downtown Fort Worth.
is the texas one good, my 11 year old and i go to the one here in illinois, we get into love field airport on thursday evening at 8 and have to pick up the car from hertz at airport do you think that we can make the restaurant before they close at 10? is it worth the rush and the money?

Absolutely!...It's only about 15 minutes from the airport in beautiful downtown Ft. Worth.... get a cup of lobster bisque and forgo the rest of the salad bar to save room for all the meat.
Scour the internet for a coupon if you can find one because it is pricey but there seems to be 50% coupons around at times.

lys1022

While Fort Worth is a beautiful city, please do NOT let some of the comments that have been posted here scare you away from touring the many options of activities in Dallas too.  The occupants of the two cities tend to be very territorial and playing Diss The Other Half Of The Metroplex is a local past-time.

Just sayin'...
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

LadyStitch

I want to drop in the Pocket Sandwich theater.  They have shows running Thursday through Sunday night.  During Rendevous they are doing Sherlock holmes.  I know that we have stuff going on but it is an option. 

As for food, it depends on what you want.  There are a lot of great smaller chains and mom and pop places here in dallas.  Depending on where your staying, there may be some nearby.  I know the rogue and I want to try "Barb-B-Cutie" up in Allen.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

VIII

Quote from: Lady Kett on January 23, 2010, 07:48:45 AM
Fogo de Chao
We like our meat in Texas! :)

FOGO DE CHAO!

Eat like a KING!
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Merlin

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on November 17, 2009, 06:27:15 PM

I forgot to ask this.  How far is San Antonio from the Scarborough area?  I've always also wanted to ride a boat on the Riverwalk, and since we're getting there on Wednesday afternoon, we have 2 full days until we want to be back to our hotel on Friday for the Rendezvous activities.  We fly into Dallas, so is it feasible to get in the rental car that afternoon and drive to San Antonio and spend a couple of days there?  Thanks.
In case this has not been answered yet, Austin is about 3-4 hours from dallas and San Antonio is another 1 1/2 hrs further south from there.
If you want to do the Riverwalk & San Antonio that is a whole weekend in itself.
Google San Antonio Mission Trail.
Stay in a bed & breakfast in the King George historic district. Visit the Alamo and the riverwalk;
drive the mission trail; ride a horse drawn carriage for the city tour.
Eat Mexican food in the Mercado district and take the haunted San Antonio night tour.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess