News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Finished Projects

Started by jcbanner, May 07, 2008, 06:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbanner

There was the "Finnished Projects" thread on the hacker infested board, how about we start somethig new over here?  Does anyone have any intresting ongoing projects? Trying anything new, either new type of project or working in a medium that you havent used before?

Hoowil

I'm working on a set of decorative, yet functional, bronze lacing rings. Tried to cast twenty of the buggers at once, and mess up on my math, using about 2/3 the metal I needed, and only ended up with eight. Now I get to start over. And I have to wait till August to get access to the casting equipement again, because it's at the local community college.

Also trying to work on a design for pewter mugs and goblets. I have not worked with pewter before, and have been having trouble finding a suitable supply of metal to experiment with.

I'm still working on sketches and plans to build a collapsable frame to clip on over a stroller to look like a gypsie wagon, complete with patchwork fabric cover.

I've been doing small metal castings for about two and a half years. sewing and minor carpentry I've been dabbling in since about the time I could walk.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Ginette

I would love to see pictures of what you're working on Hoowil! That sounds like a tough projuct, best of luck.
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Hoowil

Quote from: ginette on May 08, 2008, 07:34:53 AM
I would love to see pictures of what you're working on Hoowil! That sounds like a tough projuct, best of luck.
Which one?

This is the base design for the rings, which I'm planning on also using for clasps, buttons, and whatever else comes to mind.

Working in lost wax, the peice is about 1/8" thick. I've got a working mold of the base, thankfully, but need to modify each one for the final cast. The sprue at the top will be cut off, and finished to match. The rings i have so far have a 12 guage half circle that comes off the sides of the two lower points. They haven't been cleaned or polished at all yet, and have some finishing work still to do, as well as making sure my stitching holes go through the metal. I don't have any other work in progress pics at the moment, and come to think of it, I'm not sure where my camera is.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Angelhood

I'm working on a braided rug, although not too period since I'm making it out of old denim jeans! But it's still fun.

WindChime

I'm working on some favor to be giving out at the KYHRF and the ORF as soon as I get caught up with getting ready for the KYHRF.
Chime'n Penny / Cheiftess Clan O'Maille
Irish Penny Brigade
Guppy #90
Castleteer
IWG #3740 Local #57
Lost Viking
FOKTOP
Booth Owner @ KyRF & ORF
Keeper of All Bells & Chimes
RESCU Rally Captain ORF &  KyRF

DeadBishop

I have a current renaissance related project.  You're reading it.   ;)

R/F.com member since 2003

Element of Air

I just finished a hair pice that can be worn at Fair or club for Kim Stalkwell. I hope she likes it. here are some images of the finished piece. It falls to the mid upper back, right where the bra line is.

and then a close up.

She wanted specific colors and so I tried to go off the memory of them to get this. Although there is WAY to much pink. Unfortunately I could not locate a purple or maroon colored lox tubing.

Royal Duchess of Air, Music and Beauty in the court of Queen Bonnie.
FOKTOP
Royal Order of Landsharks, Guppy No. 25

Hoowil

Quote from: DB on May 08, 2008, 10:21:14 PM
I have a current renaissance related project.  You're reading it.   ;)
Most excellent work!

Baron Doune

Well not ren but this weekend...

Arsinoe Selene

Sort of currently, but not because of school...
A pirate top, from a Simplicity pattern (pieces cut out of test fabric)
Some sort of pouch to put on my belt, just big enough to hold wallet, keys, cell, Advil. Either leather or fabric, I'm not sure.

Really in the plotting stage. After the 22nd, I will be free to do what I want, though.

jcbanner

A friend of mine needed something to attach a goblet to her belt. Goblets don't hang too well from a regular tankard strap, so I tossed that out completly and came up with something new.

(if you click on the pictures, you will be linked to a new window where you can see a larger picture.)

thats my goblet in the picture, her's is silver plate (or looks it atleast.)  It turned out to be a perfect fit.

(thats an odd glare on the picure, didn't even notice it till i downloaded it a few mins ago :-\ )

All the edges are sealed with beeswax and a touch of flame. I left the inside portion unstained so that it won't sweat the color off onto the polished metal it will be holding. I'm quite plesed with how it turned out since it was basicly being designed as being made.

Tami MacLeod

wow great job indeed, i love it
how much do they cost?

jcbanner

Thank you. I hadnt really thought about making them to sell. (I'm a hobbiest really, so I don't sell too much) but if someone asked me to make them one, I'd guess about $25 would be suitable to cover my cost and time

Magister

This is an amazing start to a new "Finished Projects" threads.  I am always awed at what all of you come up with!

Just a "outside chance", but I was able to locate some of the old thread on the Google Cached service.  I may try to copy some of it over  here in the next few days.  Don't let this stop you from posting your new work.  It's all fantastic!

- Mag
Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade