News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Can you guys use a potter?

Started by 609wood, September 14, 2013, 07:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

609wood

TFR has glass blowers, smiths, broom makers and paper making but sadly does not have a working potter.
There is a lot of pottery and ceramics sold at TRF every year but sadly no working potter. Local junior colleges teach pottery and ceramics and they also have pottery sales to fund Capitol projects like new wheels, pug mills and such. If you guys could get together with them you could setup a booth and they could bring their wheels and demonstrate throwing in exchange for being able to sell pottery. There are easily enough junior colleges between Houston, Austin and DFW to let them each have 1 weekend. Sorry my contacts are long gone.

So what do you think?

DonaCatalina

This is something that would have to go though George and Terre. Terre is sometimes on this forum; but not often. It would probably be up to the potter to contact TRF about setting up a demo booth.
I doubt they currently have the time to go out and recruit a potter for a demo.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

609wood

Thank you for the reply. I will see what I can do.

Rani Zemirah

I'm guessing even a demo booth is going to have to pay quite a bit to vend at TRF... and it's not easy to get in. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

dbaldock

There was an announcement on the TRF Facebook page on 24-AUG-13 -

Quote from: TRF
This season we have something special for you.
Lords and Ladies, I introduce to you the NEW TOWER SHOPPES.

This offseason we have built 10 new shoppes across from the Tower Stage in the German area.
In previous years we had some games in this section.

These shoppes are not like any other, as they will be used strictly for new artist that we are welcoming to the Texas Renaissance Festival every year.
We wanted to build a place for you to be able to easily seek out the new artist that will be joining us and keep them in a central location.

The post also lists the new artists who will be there this season.  If you don't have contact info for a specific potter out at TRF, you could get in touch with the Main Office about the Tower Shoppes.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Tink

There was a potter out there last year doing demos - his booth was right next to the one in which I worked.  No idea if he'll be back this year, though.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Rani Zemirah

You know what I would really like to see at Faire?  An area where demonstrators could not only show how their crafts are made, but also give mini workshops to anyone who wanted to learn.  I would LOVE to sit at a potter's wheel for 15 minutes and be guided through throwing a pot, or take a turn at shaping an iron tent peg (ok, so maybe forge workshops aren't all that feasible, but still), or learn how to plait leather, inkle weave or fletch an arrow...etc.

I already know how to do several of those things... but there are people who have never even imagined they could try their hand at something like that... and would JUMP at the chance!  Granted, probably not the Lady in the $2K nobles garb... but the couple who have just gotten into Faire, and are wondering if it's really worth it to invest in garb of their own... or the ones who already have a few pieces of garb, and are thinking about maybe making their next piece... or just anyone at all who is looking for something a bit more involved than just watching while someone else does all of the fun, cool and interesting things! 

I know that a great many of these things can be learned through the SCA... but the majority of people who go to Faire have either never heard of them, or aren't interested in joining something that is going to cost more time and money... but everyone is an impulse shopper... and something that looks fun and interesting in the moment will always get people to hand over a few $ to give it a try... especially if they have kids who are a bit older, and who show an interest. 

These kinds of things capture people's imaginations... and bring them back again... and again. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Randal

There is a potter at TRF. They are located in a tent in front of the Polish Pub. Flintstone Pottery.
David and Darcy are a couple of the nicest people you'll ever meet.
David does demo's, and will let you throw a piece of your own.
They also have many beautiful pieces ready for sale.
Vive Ut Vive

Singed

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on October 02, 2013, 11:40:42 PM
You know what I would really like to see at Faire?  An area where demonstrators could not only show how their crafts are made, but also give mini workshops to anyone who wanted to learn.  I would LOVE to sit at a potter's wheel for 15 minutes and be guided through throwing a pot, or take a turn at shaping an iron tent peg (ok, so maybe forge workshops aren't all that feasible, but still), or learn how to plait leather, inkle weave or fletch an arrow...etc.

Actually Dollywood in Pigeon Forge does exactly this with both forging and glassblowing. 

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Singed on October 14, 2013, 02:31:44 PM

Actually Dollywood in Pigeon Forge does exactly this with both forging and glassblowing. 
[/quote

Interesting... and this is at TRF? 

Quote from: Randal on October 14, 2013, 01:59:35 PM
There is a potter at TRF. They are located in a tent in front of the Polish Pub. Flintstone Pottery.
David and Darcy are a couple of the nicest people you'll ever meet.
David does demo's, and will let you throw a piece of your own.
They also have many beautiful pieces ready for sale.

Really?!?  I will definitely have to check these places out!  I really enjoy hands-on demos, even if it means getting a few spots on my skirts!  :D  They're just cotton, and will wash... but those types of memories will last forever! 

Thanks for the info! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on October 14, 2013, 06:26:46 PM
Quote from: Singed on October 14, 2013, 02:31:44 PM

Interesting... and this is at TRF? 

Dollywood is Dolly Parton's amusement park in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, Rani.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rani Zemirah

Well, I thought as much... but since it was a thread about TRF I wondered if it wasn't perhaps some new attraction I wasn't aware of.  Not sure why it would be included here, really. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede