News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Campgrounds Update

Started by mpullen, January 26, 2010, 06:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpullen

Cross-posted from the RobinandCompany yahoo group.

Please, if you have questions about the campgrounds, send me your questions or catch me on the weekends when I am onsite.

I have volunteered to assume the responsibility for the layout and coordination for both the Patron and the Participant campgrounds.

Eric and the other Faire management staff have more than enough headaches and last minute details to take care of.

For the benefit of folks who recently joined the Yahoo group, here's the big picture:

There are two camping areas: Patron and Participants.

Patrons

The Patron's campgrounds is split into two sections: Reserved and Open. The reserved area is for groups who have and are presently clearing their areas and are responsible for the cleanliness and maintenance of good order for their areas. If they violate the rules (set fire to area, alcohol usage by minors, illegal drugs, trashing their area, violent behavior, etc) they loose their claim. They also have to haul out all their trash at the end of each weekend. No one not a member of the group or invited by a group may camp in this area, even if it looks empty on a weekend.

The general area is just that, open for one or more individuals to camp. Groups can setup in the area, but cannot stake out more area than they need. One side will be for quiet camping, with no generators or loud music after 10 PM. The other side (close to the fire circle) is for everyone else. Same restrictions as the reserved camping area. Alcohol usage by minors, illegal drugs will get you arrested by the local sheriffs who will cruise through the area. There will be a trash dumpster by the entrance along with three port-a-johns.

If you are camping in Patrons and not involved with a booth construction, DO NOT enter the Faire area during the week. The campgrounds entry gate (where the billboards are located) is now blocked off for security reasons during the week.

No in-ground fires. Fires must be in fire pits with 3 feet of cleared area around the fire pit. Boundary stones are also preferred.

Participants

This includes vendors, performers, shop workers, grounds keepers, etc.

Some vendors will be camping in their booths or behind them if they are along the access road. Others will be "day-trippers" who come out in the morning and leave at closing.

For the folks camping in or behind their booths, Faire management is your point of contact.

For the day-trippers, I need to level out a parking area for your vehicles. The soil in the campgrounds is best described as "loose sand". Do not park along the access roads. Do not park in other than the designated parking area. I have marked a parking area by the sea container.

For the other folks, there will be two sections, one for generator users that is along the access road, and another for quiet camping which is closer to the center of the campgrounds. I'll try and put up signs showing these areas Signs are posted. Please do not setup camp in the quiet area if you are using a generator. I need to get all this area levelled out and compacted so that vehicles won't get stuck.

The Participants campgrounds will not get gravel roads and RV spots laid in, as this area is the Faire expansion area for year 3 and beyond. The wooded area will be cleared after year 2 for the Participants camping.

There are some electrical outlets being installed in the campgrounds. These are NOT for general usage. They are for folks who have medical conditions and have the requirements in their contracts. I have the list of these individuals. Anyone else "plugging in" will be warned and if still violating, will receive their extension cords in 1 ft long cut sections. First and only warning. Additional loads would cause the power source to trip off. Do you want to be responsible for the injury or death of a fellow Faire mate? I think not.

No in-ground fires. Fires must be in fire pits with 3 feet of cleared area around the fire pit. Boundary stones are also preferred.

No parking or camping within 30 feet of the Faire fence.

For those with RVs and travel trailers, I'm looking at getting a contact name and phone number and their schedule for the port-a-john service company and how much they will charge to suck down the black and grey water tanks. You will have to be there to connect your hose to their truck and they probably want payment in cash. Otherwise, there is no dump station at the Faire. Closest one is probably at Bastrop State Park.

I think I covered most of the points, but will probably remember a few more later.

RenStarr

Question for ya Mike,
I'm with Phoniex Risen, we've been working on the camp site and it's coming along real nice.  I plan on camping some full weekends, but I'll also be making some day trips due to work/school.  I wish all my weekends where free, but that's just not in the cards for me at this time.

What about access to the clan's camp site when day tripping?  Will there be the $5 charge per person to park at the camp site and spend part of the day with clan members when NOT camping?  I know parking out in the general parking area (out past the front gate) is always an option, but if one stays later into the evening that's a walk back over to that parking lot and I wonder if one will actually have access from the reserved camping area back over to the general parking lot.  Teach tossed out the idea of a season pass to the camping area.  Is that something you would consider?

With this faire being so close to the Austin & San Antonio area, I'm sure I'm not the only clan member that will be wondering what to expect when making a day trip.   
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

mpullen

I had to find a solution to the TRF Patrons campground problem of uninvited guests.

My solution is that everyone in the campgrounds has to have a wristband (worn on wrist, belt, mug, wherever convenient and visible). $5 each for the weekend and must have a Faire ticket.

If I make exceptions, then there is no control over access.

Hate to take a hard stand, but until someone comes up with a better solution, I have to go with what I have planned.

RenStarr

QuoteHate to take a hard stand, but until someone comes up with a better solution, I have to go with what I have planned.

Think about a camp ground season pass for 2011.  Too late for this season, but something to consider for next year.   ;D
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

rengypsy

seems reasonable for 2011. no problem. we will incorporate it into our plan for next year.  great suggestion.
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

Bonny Pearl

Hi Mike,

I didn't see anything anywhere about the fee and little kids, so figured I'd just ask here.  Does the $5.00 per person include kids?  I'm talking about children coming in with parents, under 13, etc.

Just want to be sure we have the proper funds in cash when it's time to visit camp this year with our 8 year old.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

mpullen

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on February 01, 2010, 11:29:25 AM
Hi Mike,

I didn't see anything anywhere about the fee and little kids, so figured I'd just ask here.  Does the $5.00 per person include kids?  I'm talking about children coming in with parents, under 13, etc.

Just want to be sure we have the proper funds in cash when it's time to visit camp this year with our 8 year old.

I was thinking the $5 would apply to anyone 6 years and older to follow the Faire admission ticket requirements (under 6 no charge for Faire).

The biggest problem with older children is that it is difficult to tell a child's age as they get older, and how many parents carry something that can be used to prove their age? Let's face it, most 6 years olds are about the same, but some 13 year olds look alot older (just as some 18 year olds look younger). So, will we have to hold up the entrance line while parents prove their childrens ages, or just use some common sense and if they look under 6 years old (even if they are 8 years old), then they get in free.

Like I said, if there is a better solution, please let me know.

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: mpullen on February 01, 2010, 11:42:23 AM
Quote from: Bonny Pearl on February 01, 2010, 11:29:25 AM
Hi Mike,

I was thinking the $5 would apply to anyone 6 years and older to follow the Faire admission ticket requirements (under 6 no charge for Faire).

The biggest problem with older children is that it is difficult to tell a child's age as they get older, and how many parents carry something that can be used to prove their age? Let's face it, most 6 years olds are about the same, but some 13 year olds look alot older (just as some 18 year olds look younger). So, will we have to hold up the entrance line while parents prove their childrens ages, or just use some common sense and if they look under 6 years old (even if they are 8 years old), then they get in free.

Like I said, if there is a better solution, please let me know.

Nope nothing to add.  Just wanted to know about charges for the kiddos. I know it can be difficult to figure out the ages of kids, but most kids will tell the truth if you ask them and not mommy/daddy lol!  Kids are quite proud of how big they are. ;)

Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

rengypsy

we are honorable people. we will expect the same from our patrons.  parents will have to declare the age of the child.  we must approach this from a basis of trust.  if the value of the faire experience is worthwhile, which we sure expect it to be, then parents will surely desire to pay the nominal fee for entry for youth of 8.50 + camping.  simple.

rengypsy
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

The Rogue Gambit

hi, got a simple question about camping. What is the latest you are allowing people to show up and set up camp on friday? just curious because i planned on getting out there about 6 pm on friday and was just making sure before i go out there.

thanks
Gambit, Whiskey boy, Kilt boy, and many others......

Captain Kilian

OK, so i have the opposite question, and sorry if it has been answered elsewhere already.

When is the earliest you can arrive and be let into the campgrounds on friday. I live in San Antonio, so driving up - would like to get their early so i can set up, sit down and chill as soon as possible!
"I'd like to thank all the little people...that just never saw it coming." - Me
Royal Order of the Landshark, Guppy 14

*Teach*

Noon
Just called Mike to confirm and that time is very firm.

*Even offered rum to get in early and nope, nada*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

mpullen

The campgrounds opens at noon each Friday.

There will just be me at the booth from when I get out there (around 8 AM) and I will be busy checking Participant passes until the paid booth attendant arrives at noon.

If you are coming for camping, please bear to the left on the entrance road before the ticket booth, so that Patricipants can enter on the right and people leaving the area can pass between the two lines. Plus this will help keep the lines shorter and reduce the cross traffic.

That said- If the line for the campgrounds gets too long (gets to the highway), I may open the camping area earlier.

Please bear with us if you have to wait a few minutes. You can help by having your ticket receipt print-outs ready, or cash in hand if you need to purchase tickets. Exact change helps speed things up also. It's not hard math: $15 for Faire ticket and $5 for camping means a nice crisp $20 bill.

ravic

Forgive me if this has been asked & answered elsewhere......

I will not be camping when I come up but I would like to go visit my friends after faire. Will there be a ticket stub or somesuch from my day's visit? I have no problem paying the campground fee but I am curious as to whether I will need to purchase another faire ticket, one that I would not be able to use.

Just curious....

mpullen

Quote from: ravic on March 02, 2010, 11:08:06 AM
Forgive me if this has been asked & answered elsewhere......

I will not be camping when I come up but I would like to go visit my friends after faire. Will there be a ticket stub or somesuch from my day's visit? I have no problem paying the campground fee but I am curious as to whether I will need to purchase another faire ticket, one that I would not be able to use.

Just curious....

Make sure your hand gets stamped at the gate. That's proof that you had a ticket for the Faire, so you can purchase a camping wristband.