News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Started by Elinor Hakebourne, May 23, 2008, 04:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elinor Hakebourne

Has anyone else seen this? I just saw it today and really really liked it. Mind you, I haven't read any of the books except The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but seeing this movie sparked my interest in reading the rest in the series! For those who have seen it, what were your thoughts?

analise

I liked the movie for what it was.

It was, however, missing that special "spark" I found in C.S. Lewis' books. And plenty about it would bug me (characterization mostly) if I thought about it too much so I...don't.

I'll probably still buy it on DVD though, when it comes out.

Elinor Hakebourne

Yeah, books to movies, are always different than each other...The way I look at it? The movies intrigue me enough to read the books, and I get introduced to wonderful books that way! :) (Hey, I probably wouldn't have read the HP series if I hadn't seen the first movie!)

Guinevere of Leonesse

I've read all the books but in my younger years and I already saw Chronicles of Narnia, The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe and saw Prince Caspian last Sunday, my daughter enjoyed watching it too. It was good to see some chainmaille and armour. :)
The more you worry, the longer it will take.

beeboy

i saw it last sat and thought it was just ok

Lord Figaro

I loved it. I haven't read the books yet. But I probably will. Hard part with anything going from book to movie, a lot gets lost in the translation. If it's possible I try to see the movie before I read the book usually. But over all I really like the movie. A little darker than the first one of course. But still enjoyable.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

damsel58

Don't expect the book to be everything the movie was in this case. The Chronicles are first and foremost a children's series, and many people consider Caspian to be one of the weaker books. They added quite a bit to the movie to fluff it up action and length-wise. Don't get me wrong, I love the series (took a class in college on that particular group of writers, in fact), and I really liked the movie, but it was an... enlarged interpretation of a weaker portion of the series.

Kate XXXXXX

It's not due out here  until the end of June.  I've seen the trailer on the web site...  Looks OK so far.

Damsel58, you are right in that this is one of the weaker books.  I've thought that for about 45 years, since I first read them all.  My favourites were always The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (well, what a fab name, for a start!), and The Horse and His Boy, with The Silver Chair following close behind.  I always felt the end of The Last Battle was a cop-out.

RumbaRue

I saw the movie yesterday and thought it was very good. As with the first, the animation is fantastic!

My other half had one complaint about the whole thing, the crown looked plastic. ::)
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Mischka

I enjoyed the movie, but it was definitely different than the story.  The book had a lot of background/setup/prep for the "action sequence" and of course, the movie makes it all about the action sequence.  If it didn't, though, it would be a very boring movie.

Blushing

The first time I was disappointed, the second time I liked it a bit better, and the third time I decided I liked it after all!  (I saw it with different groups of friends.)

Yes, it is different from the books - which ARE brilliantly fantastic - but for an adaptation I think they did well.  (Although truth to tell after Eragon my expectations for book-into-movies have been adjusted.)
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

LadyStitch

I thought it looked visually wonderful.  Yes the story line had to be fleshed out.  I mean the BBC made prince Caspian in it's entirity and it was only an hour!  They cut out most of the journey to Aslan's Howe.  The girls weren't suppose to be part of the battle.  I didn't care for what they did with Caspian and Susan at the end.  I'm just curious how they are going to work Dawn Treader given how they did this one. 
Did I like it?  Yes  Did I have issues with it? Yes, but only because I love the books. 
The only negative thing that I have heard from people is the fact that Lucy is carrying around her gift from father Christmas and the only people she helps are Trumpkin and Reepacheep.  ::)
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

brier patch charlie

I want to see this movie, but I think I will wait till it comes out on DVD, only because it's cheeper than going to the movies.
Charles Coleman