News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Freaking the *cast*?!

Started by cowgrrl, May 08, 2010, 08:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowgrrl

So today we visited Scarby all dressed in 'danes.  I wore my anti-Twilight t-shirt that says 'Of Course Vampires Sparkle' in big letters & '(for about 2.6 x 10 [minus sign]4 microseconds before they burst into flames)' underneath in small letters. 

During the day I had various cast members almost break character because they would read my shirt & start laughing.  During the parade someone dragged over our resident beast hunter (Magnus) so he could read it. 

So, have you ever worn something or done something or said something that pulled or almost pulled a cast member out of character?  I don't mean something that you do specificially to try & make them break character (which I would never do) but something that just happens.

Blue66669

HAHAHAHA!!! Opening Weekend of Scarby, Twig was getting playfully harrassed by some guys. I was walking past, and screamed, HEY TWIG!! KICK HIM IN THE TAINT!!!

She started to giggle, then came over and gave me a hug. I think she considered it for a moment...
Blaidd Drwg

ladylissame

I think my favorite would have been KYRF 2008. We were at the joust and sitting the section that was cheering for England and Spain. Our captain came up with cheering for Spangland. When the king came out to ask who everyone was cheering for (Scotland, France...) he came to us and we shouted "Spangland!". He was doubled over in laughter, holding onto the fence. I think we broke the king. A little later when the jester came out and did the same thing, we shouted the same reply. The jester was speechless with laughter and the king was up in his box, laughing all over again. It is definitely one of our favorite memories.

LadyFae

My oldest daughter has caused a few almost character breaks.  The first time was her very first Fest, the moment we walked throught the front gate and the queen spotted her.  My daughter had just turned 1 and I had her dressed as a fairy with her hair in little "water spout" pigtails all over her head- the queen saw her and started saying, "Ooh, ooh- look at her!  Look at the little fairy!" and was very giggly and bouncing up and down.  Of COURSE I had to take ourselves over to meet the queen!  =D  Then last year my oldest daughter (who loves Twig like crazy) brought a recorder along (part of her fairy character) so that she and Twig could "speak" to each other and to play duets.  Now, my oldest had only just turned 4 and does not know how to play her recorder, other than to blow into it with great enthusiasm BUT she had practiced moving her fingers on the holes.  She got so excited to play with Twig again that she forgot where to put her fingers.  That didn't stop her however, Twig and my daughter played together- Twig played beautifully, as usual and my daughter moved her fingers furiously, never touching a hole, and making Twig laugh out loud!  Twig had to cover her face and turn away to regain her composure but it was fantastic to watch!  =D
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Dinobabe

One year at Bristol I asked the cast costume designer to critique my new dress that mom had made the week before we went up.  We were in the nobles glade.  He had this beautiful Spanish accent and was talking about historical aspects, etc. and all of a sudden dropped it and said in typical Chicagoan "Care if I drop this accent, it's killing me?"! :D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Aniroaldawen

The closest I've come was on Jolly Rogers Fan Club Day at KCRF last year.  The hardcore JR fans who are at almost every (or every) show usually all sat together on a bench about three rows back. For one show on their fan club day, we all moved to the front row, with our cloaks/shawls/shirts draped over our normal faire-cleavage.  Since the guys know us, they knew something was up, but didn't know what until they sang Curvy Girls and got to the line "All you need to do is flash me your curvy silhouette"--at which point us fanclub wenches stood up, flung back our cloaks and shawls, and "flashed" where we had painted the name/s of our favorite Roger/s on our chests with body paint.  Staring, giggling, and fist-pumping ensued from our pirates.  But they still managed to finish the song. "I got warmer all of a sudden!" commented Beard. ;-)

Al-Nimer

Quote from: cowgrrl on May 08, 2010, 08:44:11 PM
So today we visited Scarby all dressed in 'danes.  I wore my anti-Twilight t-shirt that says 'Of Course Vampires Sparkle' in big letters & '(for about 2.6 x 10 [minus sign]4 microseconds before they burst into flames)' underneath in small letters. 

During the day I had various cast members almost break character because they would read my shirt & start laughing.  During the parade someone dragged over our resident beast hunter (Magnus) so he could read it. 

Here is Brittney's reaction:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

cowgrrl

Well, I did it again.  Opening day I'm sent on a Faire errand by a bellydancer which requires me to go a bit into the faire & then back to the front gate.  (Note:  I'm in danes).  As I'm walking back to the front, over a bridge, I see George Boelyn & a cast 'friend' of his walking towards me.  Someone says something to George & he starts play crying & whining.  As I get about even with them I say 'Oh get over it!' in my best teacher voice.  Cue a shocked look on Georges face & peals of laughter from his friend.

Nighthawk

I called Virg Mommy.

She didn't appreciate it.  8)

Zardoz

Well, I speak 4 languages; Texan, English, Bad English, and Bad Texas German  ::)

On TRF "Octoberfest" weekend a lot of folks do their German accent and throw in the 4 or 5 Deutsche worten they picked up from TV or whatever. When anyone tries it on me, I'll rattle away at them in German for a while.  ;D
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Delireus

KCRF has a little 'mini faire' a few weeks before they open, where only like 100 people come, you can't wear your garb, and the cast gets to practice performing in front of an audience. My boyfriend and I went last year and I wore this crazy tye-dyed dress, it was really vibrant.

All afternoon, the cast would come up and break character for just a tiny second and go "ooh, i love your dress, hey so-and-so, come see this girl's dress!" then realize what they said and get right back into character. It was a lot of fun!

- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

Lady Renee Buchanan

In 2009, Steve & I went to the St. Louis Ren Faire, which is supposed to be a recreation of a French village, not a typical English village.  At the gate upon entry, there were a couple of cast members who welcomed the patrons in very basic French, "Bonjour, comment allez-vous?"  which means, "Hello, how are you?"

I speak French, so I started rattling off about how it was our first visit there and how happy we were to be there, and we expected to have a wonderful time, etc.

It certainly was beyond the 4 words they were taught in their basic cast preparatory lessons, and it stopped them short.  Dead silence.  Gotta give credit to one of the guys, though.  After a few seconds, in French-accented English, he came back with, "Oh, you must be from Canada.  You Quebec people speak so funny, no one can understand a word."
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Amyj

Party. Garb.
Pirate Bob's 50th birthday fell during St. Louis Faire last year and since his actual party was a "Tacky Aloha Party" I decided that "Party Garb" was in order.  It wasn't supposed to be worn more than once, so I didn't put much worry into the strength and longevity of it...but we got so many requests for us to wear it again...I'm going to have to reinforce my bodice!  ;D
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

Lady Christina de Pond

i never ment to do it but i didn't realize it until hours later

I have a thing for crosses and Irish stuff so i really like Irish crosses well we had some filthy rotten guys who liked to play in the mud and well one had this absolutely gorgeous celtic cross on his back which you could still see part of it when he wore his half shirt but since for part of the show he was shirtless you could see the whole cross. i told him afterward that it was a gorgeous cross he said " thank you M'lady" and then quickly added " i did it myself"
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Mairte

In my first years when I didnt wear garb I usually wore t-shirts with sayings on them.
The one that got the most reaction was "Procrastinators Unite! Tomorrow."  ;D