News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Millinery?

Started by Duckie84, June 11, 2009, 03:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckie84

I want to be able to make my own hats, partly because I am always up for knowing how to do cool new things and partly because hats can be expensive.

I already make the gypsy hat. similar to this one (no i didn't make this one)

and can make the mop caps as well.

I'd really like to learn to make tall hats similar to Lady de Laney's. If anyone has any info sites etc please share.
What does the color blue taste like?

gem

Margo Anderson has hats in her Accessories pattern:
www.margospatterns.com

But I think Lynn McMasters's patterns are considered the best:
www.lynnmcmasters.com

Duckie84

the fact that Lynn McMasters has seperate patterns for the different types makes me happy and sad at the same time.
Happy because you know exactly what you are going to get.
Sad because that is all you are going to get.

Thanks btw.
What does the color blue taste like?

Margrett

May I recommend Missa's site at http://www.sempstress.org/patterns/hatmaking/index.shtml? She has instructions for multiple kinds of Elizabethan hats, and does not charge but requests a donation of what folks can afford if they find her site useful.

I've personally taken a hat class from this wonderful lady at the Bristol Renaissance Faire--and she knows her stuff and teaches user-friendly techniques.

Margrett

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I have met Missa(Semptress) at Bristol back in 2006. She does know her stuff and does outstanding work.

I fall back on Lynn McMasters, my mentor, when it comes to Hat patterns. Her instructions are so easy to follow. They can be tweaked here and there to come up with something entirely different.

When I made my Cavalier Hat, I used the Elizabethan tall Hat pattern and added 2 1/2' to the brim. I need to make another one with the better buckram that I get from Judith M Millinery.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady Rosalind

Thanks for the reminder about Lynn's hats! I have two patterns on the way now... I have been struggling with trying to get a better silhouette for the Margo tall hat pattern, for a black silk hat I am making for this fall. I may scrap it and start over!