News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Norm?

Started by Radu the Gypsy, January 12, 2011, 02:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radu the Gypsy

I'm a little surprised not to see any notice of Norman's passing on here.  Professor, you seem to be the one with the most information on it, would you be so kind as to post something so our friends in far away lands who may have known him are aware of what happened?  I'd rather see facts posted rather than the speculation and 4th hand stories that many of us (myself included) have gathered.

Adriana Rose

Please do.
I havent heard anything beyond the phone call last week and a smattering on facebook.

The Professor

I only got a few solid facts myself yesterday--what a lovely day for that!

Norm was alive and posting on Facebook New Year's Eve--his posts were typically Norm, laughing about spending New Year's Eve home alone and sick.

Brian Russell, one of our former guards, with Pete, became worried when he hadn't heard anything further.  Tuesday or Wednesday--I haven't bothered Brian, he's got enough on his plate--he went to Norm's apartment in Aurora and tried to get him to respond.  When there was no response, he somehow got entry into the apartment, and found the body.  There was no sign of any external trauma, there will be no autopsy.  When you find a 58 year old man who'd been suffering from blood clots in the lungs dead, you just kind of accept it.

Both Norm's parents are still alive, and have named Brian Russell executor of Norm's estate.  The last I heard, Brian was trying to find a will, if there was one.  The body has been shipped back to California for Christian burial there.  Saturday there will be a celebration of Norm's life, I sent out the details to those to whom I was asked to send them. 

It is hard, for all my loquaciousness, to put my grief for Norm's passing into words.  He was the soul of honor, dignity, decency, and kindness, at the same time together one of the merriest and grimmest people I ever knew.  He was a rock against which you could steady yourself, a surprisingly wise and kind friend when you had need of either wisdom or kindness, and when it was time to howl, he howled the loudest.  As is always the case when such a friend passes, I think we grieve more for ourselves in losing him than in his sudden passage to a world where I hope true nobles and heroes are welcomed with the respect and joyfulness their arrival merits.

I will miss him, I will see him as I saw Robin at Faire, look again, not see him, and mourn anew.  I feel so incredibly lucky--and wretched--to have known him.

With my best--

Rob/The Professor
"People?  YOU DIDN'T TELL ME THERE'D BE PEOPLE!"

Demetrius

Quote from: The Professor on January 12, 2011, 11:09:06 PM

It is hard, for all my loquaciousness, to put my grief for Norm's passing into words.  He was the soul of honor, dignity, decency, and kindness, at the same time together one of the merriest and grimmest people I ever knew.  He was a rock against which you could steady yourself, a surprisingly wise and kind friend when you had need of either wisdom or kindness, and when it was time to howl, he howled the loudest.  As is always the case when such a friend passes, I think we grieve more for ourselves in losing him than in his sudden passage to a world where I hope true nobles and heroes are welcomed with the respect and joyfulness their arrival merits.

I will miss him, I will see him as I saw Robin at Faire, look again, not see him, and mourn anew.  I feel so incredibly lucky--and wretched--to have known him.

With my best--

Rob/The Professor

Well said, Professor. Our condolences to his family and close friends, of which Norm had many.
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

Zoë

What a sad start to the new year. My most sincere condolences to his family and his wide range of friends. I did not know him very well myself, but I remember him buying soda from me on numerous occasions. He always had a smile and was pleased to see us, and we him. The heavens have one more bright star these days.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Adriana Rose

I remember last season he would come and get his arm full of roses and head off. Then he would come back to get more and he always said 'I gave my last one to a little girl who fell and needed a smile or a lady who looked like she was having a rotten time. Thats how all of us at the Garland shop will remember him.

Like Professor said I am lucky to have known him

Nighthawk

What a shame I managed to miss him... Best thoughts to all of you knew him and are now mourning his loss.