News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gold colored cord, period?

Started by The Lady Mercedes, April 01, 2011, 04:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Mercedes

Quote from: isabelladangelo on April 02, 2011, 08:23:31 AM
The first ones are better.  However, as a noble woman, you'd probably be wearing something more like
this Mary Jane.  Nobles wouldn't want dirt upon their feet and would wear stockings and good shoes to prevent that.   ;)
I actually have a pair of brown strapless mary janes I plan on wearing, so the sandals would be for my "peasant" outfit but those are cute...thanks for the link!
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

The Lady Mercedes

Quote from: DonaCatalina on April 02, 2011, 09:31:02 AM
At most faires the terrain is rather rough so open toe shoes leave you open to things like rocks, stickers, fire ant bits, splinters from mulch, stinging nettles, fire ant bits.....
Renboots carries a Mary Jane that is similar to what Dreamshoes used to make.

Yea those kinda match my dress! lol

Becky10

Mary Janes always squarsh my feet (this is what i get for wearing nothing but sandals for 8+ years)
I am trying to find something that doesn't bug em terribly or the whole HA is just going to go out the window foot wise.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

operafantomet

Quote from: Becky10 on April 02, 2011, 07:23:36 PM
Mary Janes always squarsh my feet (this is what i get for wearing nothing but sandals for 8+ years)
I am trying to find something that doesn't bug em terribly or the whole HA is just going to go out the window foot wise.
Have you tried actual canvas ballet slippers? Like, the ones dancers use? They come in a variety of widths, from narrow to broad. If you find a pair you like, you could dye (=spray) them and put proper soles on them. If you remove the elastics and put a mock strap on instead, you'll have comfortable and very period looking shoes.

I don't know how allegorical this is (looks quite everyday to me), but here's a depiction of two weavers from ca. 1509 Italy. One is wearing "Mary Janes" and one is wearing sandals:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/siena/pinturicchiosiena1509.jpg

They would per definition be working women, of course, I just wanted to share an example of both being in use.

The Lady Mercedes

DonaCatalina

it is pretty, and the pendant is unique.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

The Lady Mercedes

Thanks! I can't wait to order then get my hands on it!  ;D

gem

I'm coming late to the discussion, but here's an interesting Italian painting c.1520:

http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/yourgarb/2009/Katherine-Baptist.jpg

It's hard to tell precisely what her belt/sash is made of, but it definitely has cordlike qualities to it. Other costumers think it's more likely to be a length of narrow fabric.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: gem on May 12, 2011, 08:15:39 PM
I'm coming late to the discussion, but here's an interesting Italian painting c.1520:

It's hard to tell precisely what her belt/sash is made of, but it definitely has cordlike qualities to it. Other costumers think it's more likely to be a length of narrow fabric.

One of the costumer's who does reenactments at Buckingham palace said that anyone under the rank of Duchess was more likely to wear a girdle made of a rolled length of silk fabric. Take that for what its worth...I don't even remember her name now.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

The Lady Mercedes

Silk fabric? Never would've thought of that one!  :o

Baron Dacre

Regarding shoes... Lady Dacre got her current one's on clearance at K-mart.

Leather (or leather-like) mary-janes.... We are on our feet most of the day, (Southern's court is "on" as long as the Queen is out which is most of the day), with Court Dancing (which is mostly up and down), progress, stage, etc... She is pretty comfortable in hers...

Esp with the dust at Southern (Remember with all the foot traffic our lanes our pretty much dust), you'll be happier with a closed toe shoe!
Gregory Fiennes
10th Baron Dacre of the South
(Baron Dacre)