News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wedding story

Started by mehan, August 16, 2012, 01:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mehan

I lurk on wedding forums because I just love weddings and love looking at the pictures and hearing the stories.    Today I read this story - and wondered after reading the line about the "dress she got at a renaissance faire" meant she was one of our fairemly. 

I went to the most amazing wedding last week - and it was planned in only 24 hours. It was such a special day that I wanted to share it with all of you.

My fiance's sister was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was 27 years old. After her diagnosis, she met a wonderful man and fell in love. He stood by her side when her cancer returned as Stage 4. Two weeks ago today, she went into the hospital and it became clear that she did not have much time left. The night before she went into the hospital, her boyfriend had confided to my fiance that he was planning on proposing to her in two weeks. When the doctors told us it was time to begin hospice care last Thursday, her boyfriend proposed to her that afternoon in the hospital. The entire family sprung into action and began planning a wedding for 2 pm the next day at the family home. Aunts and uncles secured the food and a donated 2 tier wedding cake. Cousins got flower arrangements, bouquets, and compiled music, and my fiance and I tracked down Star Wars Cake toppers as per the bride's request. The doctors wrote letters to help the groom get a marriage license on short notice. Everyone sent out emails inviting every family member and friend we could think of.

The next day, 100 people showed up, on short notice, on a work day, at my fiance's mother's house to witness this special wedding. The bride wore a beautiful gown she had purchased at a renaissance fair. The bridesmaids showed up in purple dresses and the groomsman all wore their suits with matching purple ties that had been bought that morning. The groom, of Scottish heritage, wore his kilt. The hospice chaplain presided over a beautiful ceremony and it was followed by a wonderful celebration. Friends brought drinks and dishes to contribute and the bride's cousins performed a touching song. The two things that stood out that day were the love the bride and groom had for one another and the love and support of their friends and families. It was a beautiful day.

I wanted to share this story because with wedding planning, I often get overwhelmed thinking about the details and wondering what people will think of this and that. This wedding, which was the most beautiful and the most special that I have ever attended, helped me to realize that those details are not what is important. My fiance's sister passed away this Tuesday, four days after her wedding. All of us in attendance feel so honored we got to witness her happiness on this special day and the love between her and her husband. It is a wedding none of us will ever forget.

Merlin the Elder

Truly a bittersweet story. Love is a wonderful, yet sometimes painful thing.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...