News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Garb storage?

Started by ladypearl, December 08, 2008, 03:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miranda

Do you clip your kitties' claws?  It makes a big difference in the fight against shredding.  IF you are really ambitious, you can fit your kitty with soft paws.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754502
Lady Margaret Howard -The Order of St. Thomas More.

gypsylakat

my cats are pretty ok with the softpaws... but i "trained' my cats early to put up with me doing stuff to them.. if they see a towel... they know it's inevitable..
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Adriana Rose

For my hoop I have it hanging against the wall in the back of my closet by a thumb tack.

Nailin

I've got everything stored in two plastic rubbermaid containers - alas i'm still figuring out where to put the hoops currently they are living in my trunk
Chieftess Nailin'
Irish Penny Brigade
Daddy's Princess
IWG # 3894

LadyStitch

My theater department loves to do authentic Shakespeare so we have alot of heavy elizabethan skirts lying around.  Our instructor had us put twill tape anchored inside the skirt.  When worn it is flat against the waist band.  When we store it.  It  hooks onto the hanger notches. You aren't putting all the weight on little clips to hold the skirts.   The only problem was finding hangers that didn't crush under the weight.

As for keeping the fuzzy animals out.  The sticky tape works well for my husband and I in our small apartment is using the luggage we aren't currently using.  We have a large suit case we lay our stuff out flat and keep neat.  I use my husbands suit case as my night stand.  I haven't made full gowns in a very long time, but it is an option. 
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Adriana Rose

I have used the sticky vermin papers to keep the cats out of the stuff that they arent supposed to get into..
it doesnt hurt them its just that cats hate sticky stuff

Jack Daw at Work

I picked up a couple of large plastic framed garment bags that hang in a closet.  I put my kilts and other woollens within and zip up with some cedar chips and blocks.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Dance_Dance

If you have a backyard or a side yard, you might consider getting a storage shed.  They come in many shapes and sizes and if you buy on sale, they can be relatively cheap.  My mom and I have a shed in our backyard that's pretty old, so we take a few more precautions than someone who has a newer shed might.

For starters, we got a couple of plastic mattress covers from a moving store - the cheap kind work just fine.  After cutting them down the seams, we were able to tape them up to the ceiling and walls with moving tape.  They haven't come down all year - from rainy season to summer and back to rainy season.  This has helped not only keep out moisture but bugs as well.  Can't prevent spiders, though.

For spiders, rodents, and whatever other critters that might try to work their way into your shed, a few repellents will do the trick.  There's also plenty of non-chemical ways to keep critters away from your items, if you don't want to harm them or possibly surrounding nature.

Inside the shed, I would still use storage bins, tote bags, plastic closets, whatever you need for your clothes.  Not only will these add extra insurance against the elements, but they will make things easy for you when you need to pack up and head off to an event.  I don't really have tips on how to keep them fresh or how to fight against humidity sense I'm in a pretty non-humid area and I go to so few faires that I have plenty of time to wash and iron my garb before hand.

Also, save a corner in the shed for your all your jewelry and odds and ends.  I've found that plastic boxes made to hold beads also work great for holding earrings, bracelets, and thinner necklaces.  Also, many hobby and craft stores have deluxe versions of these bead boxes, where they have several drawers of different depths and storage separators.  You might find that useful to keep track of all of your odds and ends.  All else fails, different sized Ziploc bags can be good for storage as well.  When you're on the road and want to keep track of your jewelry and whatnots, an over-night bathroom bag can help out a lot.

I don't have any tips on how to keep your cats at bay - unless they're strictly indoor cats, then the shed in the backyard solves that problem.

I hope this helps,
-Dance