News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Renaissance Guitar Songs

Started by Moldy Forest, December 14, 2008, 02:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moldy Forest

Hey everyone I'm hoping to pick your brain for a moment. What are some good period songs for the guitar? Are there any music/tab sites that cater in this type of music? Thanks- Justin
Chik-fil-a is the best restaurant ever. The End.

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Moldy Forest

Awesome thanks. ;D Have you tried the books before? Any one specific ones have songs that you think are best?

DonaCatalina

I don't play....I just listen to Owain Phyfe.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady L

Along that same line of thinking...anyone know of piano sheet music for ren songs? I have Danny Boy, maybe Greensleeves or something else? Please, no drinking songs, my Mom doesnt' like that. TIA.
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

MonikacGraf

As long as you know chords I've found a few collections that are good: Golden Encyclopedia of Folk Music from Hal Leonard, Tom Glazer's Treasury of Folk songs and One Hundred English Folksongs edited by Cecil J. Sharp

Moldy Forest

Quote from: MonikacGraf on January 21, 2009, 10:50:14 PM
As long as you know chords I've found a few collections that are good: Golden Encyclopedia of Folk Music from Hal Leonard, Tom Glazer's Treasury of Folk songs and One Hundred English Folksongs edited by Cecil J. Sharp
I will definately check those out. Thanks :)

Prof. John Bull

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but....

One of the best starting places for period sheet music for guitar (and lute) is Fred Noad's The Renaissance Guitar.  Used copies are available inexpensively at Amazon and it contains a well-chosen cross section of authentic period music transcribed into modern notation.  There are also performance notes and fingering suggestions which are helpful.

Guitar isn't really a period instrument.  The steel string acoustic guitar we see today is a 20th century innovation, with the classical nylon-string guitar having become common no earlier than the 18th century.  While there were guitars in the 16th century, they were small instruments, quiet, more like a lute than a guitar in their sound, tuning, and construction.  The lute, on the other hand, was common throughout Europe in the 16th century, and its literature works well on modern guitars, though there are occasional fingering problems posed by the wider fret spacing we have today, and it is often necessary to tune the g string down to F#.  Noad covers all this in his book.

Quote from: Lady L on December 20, 2008, 01:16:27 AM
Along that same line of thinking...anyone know of piano sheet music for ren songs? I have Danny Boy, maybe Greensleeves or something else? Please, no drinking songs, my Mom doesnt' like that. TIA.

You might enjoy "Mel Bay Celtic Fiddle Tunes for Solo and Ensemble."  This comes in several versions, among them a piano accompaniment.  It's not really written as a piano solo but does have a wide selection of the better known fiddle tunes with a reasonable piano part.