News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Need quick help for hiding bone lines in a bodice: wool felt or cotton batting??

Started by gem, September 01, 2010, 01:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

So now that I've finished the "working parts" of my curved-front linen gown, I need to decide how to help conceal the ridges from the hemp cord through a single layer of medium-weight linen.

Today I bought both wool felt and some cotton batting, which seem to be about the same weight/thickness and will do about the same job coverage-wise.

There are cons to both, however:

--The wool felt says "dry clean only," so I'm a little concerned about how it will hold up over time. Can I ignore that advice and give it a gentle washing once it's inside a gown?

--The cotton batting is washable, but it's advertised as "warm." The *last* thing I want to add to a bodice is a layer of warmth!!  :o

I don't need the front to be totally smooth, but just sort of smooth out and soften the ridged lines of the bones. I know we've talked about using wool felt before, but I don't remember if we talked about it in a future-washability sense.

Recommendations?

Gramercy!!

DonaCatalina

I use cotton tent canvas or cotton oil canvas for bodice lining.
Since I wear a heavily bobed corset, I don't actually bone the bodices. The canvas is usually thick enough to keep anything from showing through and is still washable.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

operafantomet

Try washing the wool felt gently (lukewarm both for washing and rinsing). I don't see any sensible reasons of why the wool should not handle water! If - or rather when - everything goes well, I'd use that for interlining.

gem

Thanks!  Anea, you're right: the wool felt has *already* been subjected to heat, water, and agitation, so it should do fine in a gentle bath.

Looking forward to getting started on this sometime this week. Um, later this week. Hee! Next step: brown linen bias tape for guards.

isabelladangelo

Gem, for most dry clean only things, I actually stick 'em in a pillow case and throw them in the washer on the gentle cycle and then air dry em.  I've never had a problem. 

However, given that this is wool (and will shrink!), I'd either try the gentle bath or try washing a sample of it in the washer and see how it goes.  Either way will cause some shrinkage but that's true of most fabrics.