News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Celts

Started by Julianne, June 16, 2008, 11:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julianne

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/british_prehistory/iron_02.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caledonians

The Celts (Kel'tz) were a diverse group of people whose empire once spanned the European continent. Archeological digs from Halstadt, Germany to the Orkney Isles of Scotland have uncovered evidence of Celtic settlements as far back as the late Bronze Age.

They settled in the region of the Danube River basin and soon began raiding and conquering their neighbors. The Celtic conquest continued until their triballands covered most of Western Europe, from the Danube to Rome and westward as far as current-day Belgium. 

Though their rise to power was quick, the Celtic domination of Europe was short, as empires go. Over the centuries following the Celtic Golden Age seen at Halstadt, the Celtic people were pushed farther west by new conquerors and empires, sprouting up in Athens, Macedonia, and, eventually, Rome. To the North, the Goths pushed the Celts southward as well, condensing the majority of Celtic society into Gaul and Iberia, which today make up France and Spain.

If the origins of the Celts are historically dubious, the name they identified themselves with remains a mystery. While historical accounts exist, as well as a few Celtic carvings referencing tribal names, Celtic writings don't make any reference to a racial name. The only surviving accounts to make reference to the Celtic people were written by Roman and Greek historians. In fact, it is from Greek texts that the Celts received their ethnic name, Keltoi, a Greek word for "stranger" or "outsider." This identifier was altered by late Roman writers and eventually adopted by the Celts as a means of identification in trade and war.

They were nomadic, in many ways, and little more than a loose conglomoration of independant tribes and family groups.

Predominantly in Roman histories, reference is made to the deep racial pride of the Celts, and their stubborn refusal to be dominated or ruled.  According to Roman chroniclers, a Celt would choose suicide over surrender.

However, far from the barbarians with which they were often identified, the Celts had a highly developed society. The basic structure of Celtic society divided the people into three classes: the royal clans, the warrior aristocracy, and the common people, often refered to as Freemen. And, though slaves did constitute a small percentage of the population, slavery was generally frowned upon in Celtic society. However, though Celtic social structure appeared loose and primitive to the Romans and Greeks, the Celts were by no means the "savage race" which the Roman scholars often slurred them by. Archeological evidence has shown the Celts to be an advanced race, for their era. They made use of chain mail in battle and utilised machines for reaping grain. There is also evidence that the Celts had begun extended roadways across Europe centuries prior to the Roman Empire's much-lauded road system, and it is widely believed by historians that it was from the Celts that the Romans and Greeks first learned the use of soap.

They placed high regard on thorough education and life-long study. The Druids, who are believed to
be the Celtic scholars and priests, were required to undergo a period of training which lasted around twenty years. Also contrary to popular belief, historians have concluded that the Celts had a written language as early as the third century, but made little use of it except on coinage and memorials, placing a higher value on the ability to remember vast quantities of information correctly.

Celtic society declined in the face of Rome's advancing power, however.  It would enjoy a brief period of renewal with the fall of Rome, only to be quickly conquered by the Germanic culture advancing across Europe. And so, the proud people who had once dominated the European continent would be lost to myth and legend, leaving more unanswered questions than roadsigns to their once-golden culture.

SirRichardBear

In this the Celts are much like the North American Indians having a related language and many customs in common but referencing to themselves by tribal names till like the Celts they adopted a common name  as a means of identification in trade and war against the Europeans.  Interesting  the American Indians of the early colonial period identified with the Scottish Highlanders seeing much in common in terms of language, weapons, and dress and often referred to the Highlanders as their bothers.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

CahirDochartaigh

Quote from: SirRichardBear on June 16, 2008, 11:59:12 AM
In this the Celts are much like the North American Indians having a related language and many customs in common but referencing to themselves by tribal names till like the Celts they adopted a common name  as a means of identification in trade and war against the Europeans.  Interesting  the American Indians of the early colonial period identified with the Scottish Highlanders seeing much in common in terms of language, weapons, and dress and often referred to the Highlanders as their bothers.

While I agree with your statement, it must be said that "celts" of the American frontier were most instrumental in the defeat of many native tribes. Our style of combat was better suited to war with natives than the landed ascendency of the coastal regions. One professor of mine actually pointed out that without Irish/Scot/Scots-Irish immigrants, the lands inhabited by natives would have been a much more difficult place to conquer. I agree with this, but unlike him I do not feel that there was any animosity based on race or culture between natives and celts. They were both tribal cultures, warring over small parcels of land, and mostly in small skirmish actions. They were both doing what came naturally, and I believe neither of them saw the future implications of their actions. Too often it gets chalked up to hatred and cultural disdain - which I don't believe to be the case.
Ar n Duthcas!

Dallan

Wow, fascinating stuff and the price of tuition is reasonable. Please keep it coming.
Fight'n

Julianne

wow...thanks Dallan :)

I have too much knowledge of my gaelic ancestry sometimes.  My  Scottish Grandmother was my rod and staff and I'm sometimes too proud of the knowledge and experiences that she so gracefully and unselfishly bestowed upon me.

In the tradition of the Celts... the best method is the passing down of the "way" through the stories and personal history.

I welcome all of the Celts to share their own knowledge here so to pass on to the next generation.

groomporter

I stumbled on to this site http://www.personal.psu.edu/ejp10/lingland/faqcelt.html which attempts to clarify some of what is known or not known about the Celts.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?