News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gold coins at Faire

Started by Baron Frederick, August 07, 2011, 04:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rabbi

As I am a fairly new recycled rennie (stepped away for over 20 plus years) I do not know about other fest but All volunteers and cast will be wearing a Skeloton key of some kind to represent that we are Keypers of Magic. Special VIP will also be wearing a key as well but located in a different place. Signs and program information will indicate this information so patrons and guest will know the difference. example Key on right side = volunter key on left side = paid cast key on hip or wrist VIP. Have not worked out all the details yet but what I have in mind.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Adriana Rose

Im not sayin that i hate 'em but they sure are a tad annoying. And I am not a volunteer I am a merchant, I like keeping simple cash is easier. When people pay for roses in the coins I dont mind because that is only 2 or 3 but when you get beyond that there is really no place to put them in a register.

If you want to use them thats cool what ever floats your boat.

KeeperoftheBar

Because of the cost and life of paper money, it would not surprise me, in the currrent economic conditions, that the Goverment begins to phase out all paper less than a $20 and replace them with coin.  $1s, $5s and $10s might go the way of th "Silver Certificate"

Personally, as a taxpayer, I would encourage it.  Guess I should write my Congressman...
Nah, who am I kidding, when has the Gov't ever done something to save money.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Merlin the Elder

For singles, it might make sense, perhaps even $5. Above that, the problem of counterfeiters may end of being more costly to deal with... I don't know, it's just a thought.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Dinobabe

Quote from: The Rabbi on August 09, 2011, 06:31:49 PM
As I am a fairly new recycled rennie (stepped away for over 20 plus years) I do not know about other fest but All volunteers and cast will be wearing a Skeloton key of some kind to represent that we are Keypers of Magic. Special VIP will also be wearing a key as well but located in a different place. Signs and program information will indicate this information so patrons and guest will know the difference. example Key on right side = volunter key on left side = paid cast key on hip or wrist VIP. Have not worked out all the details yet but what I have in mind.

Great idea, the only problem I see is the left vs. right.  Same problem I have with visitors to my earthquake information booth.  They all assume CA has the most earthquakes because that is the state we most often hear about.  They would be wrong, it's Alaska.  They have even argued with me about it, it is my job to know this people! ::)  People won't care about what side it's on, just that it's there.  You may want to go with another symbol or at least have them in different colors (think Star Trek; blue=medical, yellow=engineering, red=command) maybe with a bright ribbon.  Otherwise I like it! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Dinobabe on August 10, 2011, 01:50:24 PMGreat idea, the only problem I see is the left vs. right...
Probably should leave politics out of it...especially the red and blue ;)

Color difference is a good idea, maybe even adornment at well, like gold, silver, and jeweled.  Naturally having different keys increases your cost, unless you plan to make them yourself...

Dinobabe

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 10, 2011, 02:26:11 PM
Quote from: Dinobabe on August 10, 2011, 01:50:24 PMGreat idea, the only problem I see is the left vs. right...
Probably should leave politics out of it...especially the red and blue ;)

Color difference is a good idea, maybe even adornment at well, like gold, silver, and jeweled.  Naturally having different keys increases your cost, unless you plan to make them yourself...

Cheeky!  lol ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Merlin the Elder

Getting back to the issue, I had seriously considered heading to faire next time with $1 coins.  Based on what I've seen here, I shall shelve that idea.

Rogue Hidesmith

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 11, 2011, 01:10:54 PM
Getting back to the issue, I had seriously considered heading to faire next time with $1 coins.  Based on what I've seen here, I shall shelve that idea.

I bet the privy attendants(if you have any at your local faires) might appreciate it. They're little more then volunteers at my home faire.
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Merlin the Elder

Not to worry...I would always tip, just not with the heavy coins.

Betty Munro

My kid saved all year and brought a pouch of quarters to use for rides.  Rides costing sometimes $4.00 ... 16 quarters ... ooops, the vendor wasn't amused.  (He was polite, and happy to take it, but I could see the look on his face), I felt bad.  Won't make that mistake again.  After carrying the rest of them on my belt all day - too heavy. 
As far as faire minted coins ... please, no.  I don't want money I can only spend at a specific place, even if it is beloved faire, and even if I can turn it in for cash back ... I don't want to stand in line at the end of the day.
Cash really is the way to go.
just my 2 cents ...

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 11, 2011, 01:10:54 PM
Getting back to the issue, I had seriously considered heading to faire next time with $1 coins.  Based on what I've seen here, I shall shelve that idea.

I have for the last couple years tipped (that is tipped) with dollar coins, and will continue to do so.  If someone does not like it, then I will not tip with the coins.  So far I have never had a complaint.

By the way, I like your CD you gave me - which one is you?
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on August 11, 2011, 04:27:29 PMBy the way, I like your CD you gave me - which one is you?
Well! You're the first to mention that it didn't end up a Frisbee.  Glad you like it.

Which one am I?!? ROFL! I had to pull out the CD insert to check... I guess it has been a while since the photos were taken. I'm the bassist...the good looking one—well, that long ago I was, anyway...kinda, maybe... But my beard was definitely cropped short in those days, and looking at the photo, I even still had some hair.

If you followed the lyrics in the insert, you'll know that we didn't take ourselves any more seriously than anyone else did, otherwise we would have been on Circus of the Stars or American Idle [sic].

Addilay

Truly, if saved for tips only, the coins are fun and not an annoyance to the majority of vendors/performers at faire. The coins are heavy so we take $20 a day and use them for tips. I will admit if we run short at the end of the day, our last meade may be bought partly with coin.

The patron that used $50 in coin and didn't tip is an exception to the rule, but if the pubs and food vendors out there would prefer no coin consider MasterCard or Lord Visa or place a sign requesting no coin at the tip jar.

I will say as a former waitress/bartender, I was happy with any form of monetary tip and the more the merrier!

We have also used it as a learning experience for our son. He regularly tips performers and vendors without a reminder because he enjoys using the coins.
Of Course!  More wine!

Lady Renee Buchanan

Disclaimer:  We don't use coins.  Never even think go making a special trip to the bank to get them.

Here is what I find funny:  In England, they did away with all bank notes under L5 (five pounds, we don't have the correct symbol).  So most people have pockets full of coins, because one of the most common pieces is the L1 pound (which used to be a note, but now is a coin).  They actually have 8 different types of coins, for the different denominations, and only 4 paper notes, 5, 10, 20, and 50 pound notes.  So if faire is a recreation of England, and especially Renaissance England, the paper money would be anachonistic.

Does this have anything to do with merchants/vendors taking coins or patrons carrying them?  No.  But I just found it funny.

Have a great day!    ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich