News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wounds While Crafting

Started by Magister, May 12, 2008, 08:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish

Well, a few years ago, a friend was using her sewing machine. We heard a "!!PING!!"
Then she said... "OMG"!  :o
The pin holding the seam, managed to get stuck in my forehead!   ::)
I never felt it! (Good to have a hard head I guess! LOL! :P)
From that day on...I sew by hand!  ;D
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Nighthawk

Quote from: irish on November 06, 2010, 12:42:27 AM
Well, a few years ago, a friend was using her sewing machine. We heard a "!!PING!!"

:o Makes me think of that old Mel Brooks quote- "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when I fall down an open manhole and die!"

Adriana Rose

Hot glue is evil!

The high temp ones are the worst! Working on a project I got a blob of freaky hot glue on my finger, swear and remove not 5 minutes later a bigger blob on the same bloody spot! Holy hell that hurt, yay for a new scar.

Dinobabe

My grandma used to work a LOT with glue.  She taught me a trick.  Put a dab of glue on something, wait a bit, stick the most likely to get burned finger in it, wait as long as you can, then peel it off.  Do this several times shortening the dry time.  You will build up a great callous in a short time!  I usually just did it while gluing whatever I was working on.  Amazing how quickly you build up a tolerance.  The key is to purposefully continue to get the glue on your finger(s) WHILE you are working. ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

irish

Hot glue... :o
Keep a bowl of cold water handy! Put your finger right in it!
Helps a little..... :)
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Nighthawk

Quote from: Adriana Rose on November 13, 2010, 11:18:46 AM
Hot glue is evil!

The high temp ones are the worst! Working on a project I got a blob of freaky hot glue on my finger, swear and remove not 5 minutes later a bigger blob on the same bloody spot! Holy hell that hurt, yay for a new scar.
Oh... oh... That sounds PAINFUL!!

It's funny- I was uploading pictures of a sporran that I made, and I discovered that there was also a pic of my bruised thumbnail! Please feel free to point and laugh:

Becky10

Quote from: irish on November 06, 2010, 12:42:27 AM

That reminds me of a time i was making a mask. My sister came over and was screwing with my supplies and i went to smack her hand away so shed stop distracting me well i didnt realize she was holding an exacto knife. She yelled, i looked down saw it sticking into my hand moved my hand, it followed, then yelled lol
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Dinobabe

I hate it when sharp implements follow me around... ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Becky10

Slightly odd one recently, i got a splinter stuck in my tongue from biting my paintbrush that was broken on the end. I think I've accidentally ate so much paint now.

Dinobabe

Quote from: Becky10 on December 30, 2010, 06:05:46 PM
Slightly odd one recently, i got a splinter stuck in my tongue from biting my paintbrush that was broken on the end. I think I've accidentally ate so much paint now.

LMAO ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry to laugh but wait till you hear this!
I bought a new bottle of black food coloring.  The safety seal was too small to pull with my fingers so genius me thought why not use your teeth, after all, its edible.  (Do you see what's coming?)  Well apparently the bottle was under a bit of pressure so when my teeth broke the seal I felt this whoosh into my mouth.  I instantly knew what had happened!  I rushed passed hubby into the bathroom.  He thought I was sick or hurt so ran after me.  Then he saw me looking into the mirror and died laughing.... at my now distinctly black teeth, gums, tongue, lips, you name it!  Took several swishes of hydrogen peroxide and about 5 scrubs with toothpaste to get it off!!!!! :o ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Becky10

LOL!
Have you ever seen the Patriot with Heath Ledger? That reminds me so much of the tea scene!

I got in a food color fight once. Amazing how well that stuff can stay on.

Dinobabe

Quote from: Becky10 on January 02, 2011, 09:02:14 PM
LOL!
Have you ever seen the Patriot with Heath Ledger? That reminds me so much of the tea scene!

That is EXACTLY what came to mind when I looked in the mirror!!!!

Red velvet cake is worse! ::)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Becky10 on January 02, 2011, 09:02:14 PM
LOL!

Yeah... and if you're ever looking for a fun activity to do with small kids, and run across an article about making homemade face paints with the stuff...  DON'T!!!  Particularly if they're not YOUR kids!!!  :o  ::)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Becky10

But its the best when theyre NOT your kids! You dont have to worry about scrubbing them clean!

I got a dark blue cupcake frosting to the face. I fondly remember running, falling on my butt in the middle of the quad then *squash* all my senior pictures with friends i looked like a smurf lol

I needs to try that with my cousin. I feel the devil horns popping up.

Hoowil

Not an injury to anything but pride (and not so much even mine) but I thought it would be fun, once upon a long ago, to go after the miniature American Eskimo Dog that I had with some left over Easter egg dye for the local animal shelter's fund raiser animal fun day. Didn't really dawn on me that I was basically covering natural fiber with dye and vinegar. That poor dog was rainbow colored for nearly a year. I did end up getting a prize for the most colorful dog though...
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.