News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I HATE THAT COMMERCIAL!

Started by *Teach*, January 14, 2009, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peddlin

I love the eTrade baby, and now he has a friend that sings!
Peddlin M'Crack
Countess of Tyrone
Ette
IWG #3790, Local 96

Elizabeth Talbot, Countess of Shrewsbury

Quote from: Peddlin on February 03, 2009, 07:09:09 AM
Did I hear him say, "You're gonna love my nuts?"

*rofl* Yeah, you did.
Castleteer
IWG #3880/IWG Local #77
Wandering Pirate
Endearing Noble

Ozium

Well we may be free from the ShamWOW guy.
Wonder if he had a shamwow handy.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0330091newsham1.html
Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

midnightferret

The commercials I despise most are for pharmaceuticals and personal care items.

Why? Because they propagate unhealthy and inaccurate information. Like our society needs more of that!

If your feet/crotch smell enough to require special sprays, GO TO THE DOCTOR. Seriously. If you/your partner are TOO BUSY (?!) to take a decent amount of time for sex, then a lubricant is not going to solve your larger relationship problem. There is NO SUCH DISEASE as overactive bladder disorder. YES, some people have to go a lot, but THAT'S NOT WHY. Ditto for "restless leg syndrome." Get some exercise and quit smoking. Covering up your symptoms does not solve the problem! Men: if you are over 30, smoke, and can't see it, then it probably doesn't work well anymore. Eat some oatmeal and lower your cholesterol. HAH. You may have to change your other meals as well, besides just breakfast, to do that, despite the info in the Quaker Oat and Cheerios commercials.

Oh yeah, and if you think that you should take drugs that are not FDA approved in order to lose weight, might I suggest counseling instead? Your weight is not your biggest problem. Magazine pictures of pre-teens who are supposed to be "women" are your problem. Finally, cats and dogs are obligate carnivores. That means that they will seek out and are healthiest on a meat and bone diet. Feeding them "healthy fruits and vegetables" in some kind of new extruded dog food made up mostly of corn by-products is NOT the way to go. Stupid commercials are going to be the death of us all, I tell you! And our beloved pets! GAH! [/rant] Whoops. Got a little carried away, there.

Carl Heinz

Ah, the blessed remote.  If switching channels or the mute don't solve the problem, there's always the off button and a good book at hand.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Lady Christina de Pond

Ok i hate the dexatrim commercials all of them " I was a size 10 Now i'm a size 2" give me a break if your a 10 you don't need to lose anything
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Peddlin

A lot of us would love to be a size 10!
Peddlin M'Crack
Countess of Tyrone
Ette
IWG #3790, Local 96

*Teach*

Quote from: Lady Christina de Pond on April 02, 2009, 12:16:23 PM
Ok i hate the dexatrim commercials all of them " I was a size 10 Now i'm a size 2" give me a break if your a 10 you don't need to lose anything
See that just sets off another tyrade from me there
Size... is just size
I am a pretty good sized guy, had a doctor visit/check up and he came in ready to rip me a new one because of my weight. He couldn't thought. When he checked my numbers, I had better ones than most of his skinnier "healthier" patients.
I keep hearing things like... 2/3rds of the population is obese
Really?
If that is the case, then why don't clothing stores have clothes for larger folks? Macys, Dillards... most chain clothiers all stop at XL or XXL... even Walmart stops one size away from me on most clothes.
I just don't get that... Us larger folks make up the vastly larger percentage of the population (and we wear clothes!) and we cant find anything to buy!
grrrrrrr
ok... dunno why I went of on that tangent, but I needed to... stupid stores
I really hate shopping for me because of this

*no rum for them!*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

LadyElizabeth

The size thing is only important in that it physically makes someone feel good or bad.  I don't mean, "looking in the mirror I'm fat" kind of good or bad, I mean physically feeling healthy or not.  For me, my healthy weight is around a 6 or 8 and so when I'm a 10 or 12 I feel horrid.  I don't think I look really fat or anything, it's just I physically feel bad at my current weight.  That's why I'm starting a more serious workout and diet regime as of today.  Size doesn't matter, feeling good and healthy matters.  If you feel good and healthy at size 10, great, if you feel good and healthy at size 16, great, but don't choose a size for yourself that you aren't healthy and feeling good about yourself.  I guess it takes more than just a single "choice" and for some people it takes complete revolution in lifestyle, but I think it's important in life to be our best, which includes feeling our best.
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

maelstrom0370

Quote from: *Teach* on April 08, 2009, 02:00:57 PM
Quote from: Lady Christina de Pond on April 02, 2009, 12:16:23 PM
See that just sets off another tyrade from me there
Size... is just size
I am a pretty good sized guy, had a doctor visit/check up and he came in ready to rip me a new one because of my weight. He couldn't thought. When he checked my numbers, I had better ones than most of his skinnier "healthier" patients.
I keep hearing things like... 2/3rds of the population is obese
Really?
If that is the case, then why don't clothing stores have clothes for larger folks? Macys, Dillards... most chain clothiers all stop at XL or XXL... even Walmart stops one size away from me on most clothes.
I just don't get that... Us larger folks make up the vastly larger percentage of the population (and we wear clothes!) and we cant find anything to buy!
grrrrrrr
ok... dunno why I went of on that tangent, but I needed to... stupid stores
I really hate shopping for me because of this

*no rum for them!*

Unfortunately, I think most of that decision is based purely on the almighty dollar.  It's saves the regular stores money by not having to carry a wider variety of sizes and forces the larger members of our species to head to "Big and Tall" stores to find clothes that fit right. Since those stores are still considered "niche" stores (2/3 of the population or not), they can charge more.  I wear a 34 length in pants.  Good luck finding those at Meijer or Wally-World, so I'm forced to get by with a 32 or spend $10-$20 more at the Big and Tall stores.  Being blessed with the arms God gave an orangutan also means I get to pay more if I want a long sleeve shirt that fits right.  Isn't economics (and evolution) fun!?

KeeperoftheBar

I suspect it is also psychology.  Almost everyone would like to be a little thinner and a little richer.  For example, I have a cousin who is to go to her nephew's wedding in June.  She bought a new dress a few sizes smaller because she wants to lose some weight.  There is not a chance of a snowball in Hades that she will lose the weight so she will have to buy another new dress the week before. 
I suspect that stores carry little in the large sizes because they think people will buy the small stuff, fail to reduce to fit and take what they can get in desperation.  But then I have been accused of being cynical...
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Lady Neysa

Quote from: *Teach* on April 08, 2009, 02:00:57 PM
grrrrrrr

I find all kinds of cute stuff in the smaller sizes, but try to find it in a larger size...no dice.  I can never find anything to buy because it seems like the clothing manufacturers think that all plus sized women should wear god awful ugly prints and shirts with weird necklines instead of a simple, normal collar.   :-\

Tipsy Gypsy

I can never find anything to buy because it seems like the clothing manufacturers think that all plus sized women should wear god awful ugly prints and shirts with weird necklines instead of a simple, normal collar.   :-\

If it's any comfort, petite sizes are the same way. Apparently they think that we actually want to dress like Shirley bleeping Temple. Gads. :P
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Tipsy Gypsy

..to return to topic, though, the Maxxoderm cream commercial is annoying as hell. Oh lemme guess how this 'snake oil' works- apply vigorously??
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

kcdcchef

the commercial i now love..................

free credit report dot com, about the renaissance faire. hehe. makes me go into withdrawls every time it comes on. "............green tights, slippers, and fake sword fights............................................"

too funny.

as far as the hated ones, oh man, i could do without another verizon and the network commercial until i die. there is a funny clip you can find, worst job ever relating to the verizon guy. if i find it i will post it.