News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Santa Fe Renaissance Festival

Started by Zoë, June 25, 2009, 11:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoë

Since we are talking about other faires to go to later this season, I figured I would mention Santa Fe again.  It's in its 2nd year, and will run September 19th and 20th just outside of Santa Fe, New Mexico, at a living history museum called "El Rancho De Las Golondrinas."  I'll be there on "cast" and hopefully the rest of the CO crew that went down last year will be able to return.  I know those who I have spoken to are planning on going.  We had a lot of fun last year.  It's about a 6-hour drive from Denver, so it's manageable even if you leave on a Friday afternoon. 

It's a bit smaller than our faire (okay, a lot smaller) but it's interesting and has a lot to offer all the same.  It takes place inside a living history museum and is kind of geared toward the Spanish influence of the area rather than the Elizabethan take we have.  The SCA is there and they do full armored live steel combat and jousting.  It's of course a smaller event than ours, but you can still make a grand day of it and have fun.  Also, it's far cheaper than we are used to--imagine getting lunch for under $5...From a playtron point of view, I would suggest maybe going to the faire on Saturday and then touring around old town Santa Fe on Sunday, because that is a real treat.  (The faire is about 20 minutes from old town.)

Anyway, here's the website for the faire itself, although it hasn't really been updated yet although the dates for this year are there.  I expect that as we get closer it will get changed.  http://www.pet-flash.com/sfrenfair/

And, here's a link to a few pictures of the event last year, including one of yours truly and our own Captain Spleen, in the act of making trouble (or getting in trouble, perhaps; we were "arrested" by the Queen shortly after this picture was taken...us naughty pirates had commandeered the costume contest): http://www.openhands.org/eventsauctionphotos.htm#renpics

AND, one last link, here's a review I wrote of the faire for FaireNews.com last year: http://www.fairenews.com/399/santa-fe-renaissance-festivals-succesful-first-year/

Anyway, just hoping to get some people interested in coming down.  It's smaller but it's a lot of fun, and I think with a few more rennies attending we could really enjoy ourselves.  The people are great.

If you have any questions let me know...
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Hey- Arent You?

but..... will there be hamsters?

and...

is that THE Clan Tynker?  
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Francisco Paula

But but but the 19th is talk like a pirate day and not sure yet when they will do the pirate bash if i can i might try and drive down afterwards for a day.

Zoë

Quote from: Hey- Arent You? on June 25, 2009, 01:14:33 PM

but..... will there be hamsters?

and...

is that THE Clan Tynker?  

I will make certain that there are hamsters. 

And yes, it is THE Clan Tynker!  They're fabulous.  :)
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Taffy Saltwater

The Rancho de los Golondrinas is well worth a trip in and of itself.  If you get a chance to buy some rolls out of the horno (adobe oven), do so and think of me.  A bag of pinon nuts to nibble on is heaven on earth.  My family comes from northern NM (among the original settlers in 1598).  Another great place to visit is the colonial NM museum.  And if you rent a car and make reservations, eat at the Rancho de Chimayo or stay the night at the B&B across the street, or both.
Sveethot!

Hey- Arent You?

Quote from: Zoë on June 25, 2009, 03:03:05 PM

I will make certain that there are hamsters. 

And yes, it is THE Clan Tynker!  They're fabulous.  :)

OK, you have my attention.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Zoë

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on June 25, 2009, 03:32:59 PM
The Rancho de los Golondrinas is well worth a trip in and of itself.  If you get a chance to buy some rolls out of the horno (adobe oven), do so and think of me.  A bag of pinon nuts to nibble on is heaven on earth.  My family comes from northern NM (among the original settlers in 1598).  Another great place to visit is the colonial NM museum.  And if you rent a car and make reservations, eat at the Rancho de Chimayo or stay the night at the B&B across the street, or both.

There's also a place in Old Towne called The Ore House that has FABULOUS house salsa.  We order some from them to be shipped to us over the year because it's so good.  Their other food is good too. 
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Zoë

And also, if anyone is interested in being a volunteer performer (i.e. "guest" cast) please let me know and I will get you in touch with the volunteer coordinator.  She's a wonderful person and was very grateful for those of us who went down last year and I'm sure she would be ecstatic to have more people helping out.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Zoë

I just spoke to the volunteer coordinator for Santa Fe, and she is not sure if the local pirates who attended the festival last year are going to be coming back this year.  So it looks as though we are in need of a few swarthy pirates to fill in on guest cast.  If anyone is interested please let me know, or shoot an email to Dara Fogel at dara.fogel@gmail.com.  I really hope we can get some people from the CO faire to come down, as it's really a lot of fun and I think we'd all enjoy ourselves!
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

If and it's a HUGE IF Toki and I came, we'd be nobles and not pirates. Sorry but I'm a noble deep down with a bit O'Pyrate for my wild side
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Demetrius

If I manage to go this year you will have to remember to un-strap me from the top of the car.
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

Zoë

Quote from: Lady de Laney on July 16, 2009, 11:47:20 AM
If and it's a HUGE IF Toki and I came, we'd be nobles and not pirates. Sorry but I'm a noble deep down with a bit O'Pyrate for my wild side

That's fine too, there weren't that many nobles last year if I remember correctly, with the exception of the court and a few others.  My parents are coming as nobles also, so you can be nobility with them.  :)
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Norfolk

The Baroness and I are planning to be there.
Just call me "Your Grace"

Taffy Saltwater

Let me also recommend drinks on the patio at the Shed and the flourless chocolate cake at La Choza.
Sveethot!

Zoë

Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy