News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Help with Cavalier hat

Started by irish, May 08, 2008, 05:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish

What is the proper way to wear a Cavalier hat? Does it matter what side is turned up and where does the plume go?
Thanks!  ;D
{Thanks for the help with the plume. I found one at Maichael's}
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

willin

if your right handed you would most likely turn up the left side.
  the sharp end of the quill would affix to the band under the turned up brim with the plum  displaying toward the rear.
GOT FEET ?

irish

irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~

Cloverpogue

groovy. Now I will know what to do once I complete mine.
I always had that instinct to flip up the left side.
~Irish: I'll post my pics of mine when I finish it if you'll post yours as well. ;D
Now I need a quill...~here birdy birdy birdy...~
~The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves~ Keeper of the Pirate Joe Bear, Capn'Car'nage, Mistress of Mischief~

irish

I went to Michael's as some suggested and found perfect plumes. It was 2 to the package, so may use them both. It was suggested that A.C. Moore, also had feathers to use.
I am not at the completion stage with the hat, but when it is finished, I will post it!  :)
irish
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~

Lady Christina de Pond

Yeah i didn't know any better when i did mine and i saw several that were flipped up on the rightside so i thought that was the norm. Haaaaa! only after i  finished my cavalier's hat did i find out that Monday that if i was right handed which i am that my flipped up part should be on my left side. Ohhh well i still looked very fetching at fest
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Mythrin

My understanding is the Caviler hat is a shooter's-hat because Musketeers were the original "riflemen". I was told when I started reinacting in the French/Indian war community many years ago that the right hand side was flipped up so that the brim would not hit the shoulder as you brought your rifle to bear and the down left-side offered some protection to the powder in the rifle-pan.
Chris
Founding member of the Living History Company

"go Secret Squirrels"

Thorr

Quote from: Mythrin on May 09, 2008, 04:55:15 PM
My understanding is the Caviler hat is a shooter's-hat because Musketeers were the original "riflemen". I was told when I started reinacting in the French/Indian war community many years ago that the right hand side was flipped up so that the brim would not hit the shoulder as you brought your rifle to bear and the down left-side offered some protection to the powder in the rifle-pan.

I was under the same impression, but that it was to keep the hat from catching fire

PurpleDragon

Thorr and Mythrin are both correct.  Traditionally the Right side was the one turned up as that was the side to place the butt of ones rifle against that shoulder.  This was to avoid knocking ones hat off while "aiming" the gun, and also to ensure that the powder flash did not catch the hat on fire. 
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

irish

Help!!!!! I am about ready to pull out my hair!!! :o
How big should the brim of the Cavalier hat be? I made one from a pattern, and it doesn't look big enough.  :'(
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~

Lady Ann of Draycott

Quote from: irish on May 29, 2008, 03:00:32 PM
Help!!!!! I am about ready to pull out my hair!!! :o
How big should the brim of the Cavalier hat be? I made one from a pattern, and it doesn't look big enough.  :'(

Smallest I've seen is 4", others are 5" to 5-1/2".  Not sure if it's a personal preference or not.  I think 5" to 5-1/2" is most common.
Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

irish

I added the ribbon, just pinned it to the hat and the hat went all 'limp'..... lost it's shape....has no real shape to it. Maybe used the wrong weight of wool felt?  Is there a special weight I should of used? Any suggestions??
It is ok for one of the kids to use, but not for my b/f.
Thanks......
irish

edit~ I found out I used the wrong interfacing! It said just interfacing on the pattern, but didn't say what to use. I found a site that said to use buckram, which I bought last night. I think this will help....and ty for listening to me complain! LOL!  ;D
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~

escherblacksmith

yeah, I doubled the buckram on the one I made to help keep its shape.

fyi, keep in mind that buckram is largely glue and thread.  So, if the hat gets really wet, the buckram stands a good chance of coming apart.

--