News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What's in your cooler???

Started by Sir Smithwick, September 28, 2009, 11:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keno

Well.. I may not be going to texas faires this year but when I have to pack and cook for the group (and my friends group since I wake up before their cook)  I bring two coolers of need to be cold food, one with room temp foods and some home canned pre-made stew and fruits, jams.  I like to cook..
This years travels 2013

Performing
Travelers Cross Faire in Strang, Oklahoma

Vending
Iowa Renaissance Festival in Amana Colonies, Iowa
Iowa-Minnesota Pirate Festival in Clear Lake, Iowa
Des Moines Renaissance Faire in Des Moines, iowa

Breandan

I have a fridge, microwave, and a small stove, so I just bring normal food for me, and TV dinners for the wife, since they're one of the few things she can keep down with the morning sickness
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

batninja

Thoughts from an old Eagle Scout...

Although I'm going to attempt a Dutch oven shepherd's pie (if I can a decent recipe), Friday night is usually tin-foil dinners, prepared the previous evening at home, served with beans and bread. 

Saturday morning is sausage/egg/cheese breakfast burritos.  Onions are chopped and cheese is grated earlier in the week.

Saturday night is Sloppy Joes.  I prepare the mix and meat earlier in the week and freeze it.  Drunks are generally not good in the kitchen, so I try to keep Saturday night simple.  Chips, cheese and crackers round out the menu.

I rarely stay to go back into the festival on Sundays, so it's Pop-Tarts and fruit, just something to munch on while breaking camp. 

I have a large plastic bin for dry foods, including snacks, crackers, and the like.  In addition to the food mentioned above, I pack bottled water and juice, milk, beer and hearty amounts of Dr. Pepper.
It ain't the years, it's the mileage.

Lady Laura

Speaking of plastic bins, we started using these for our dry food and kitchen supplies, and our clothes in our tents. They're easy to pack and keep everything VERY tidy and dry! 

"Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk."
-Sir Francis Chichester

midnightferret

Food cooler Halloween Weekend:
I think Morgana's bringing meatloaf this year.
ingredients for scratch biscuits and sausage gravy
loaf of homemade honey oat bread
little smokeys with cheese in 'em
cheeses of some kind
crackers
Period Shortbread
chips, dip, condiments and sundries

Drink Cooler Halloween Weekend:
50-100 bottles of homemade beer: Honey Kolsch and 1492 Pale Ale
Cider, water, gatorade, sodas, and sundries

I dunno about the other weekends yet!

Sir Smithwick

Great responce to this post.  Friday is looking like steak instead of chops and backed potatos with maybe a salaid.  Saturday is looking like burgers because my drunk behind will only be able to cook this simple meal.  Keep the ideas coming my menu is not set in stone.  What I really like to cook is some lamb for myself <the rest of my group is not interested in this> or if anyone has a different idea please post it would like to hear other ideas.

CahirDochartaigh

We generally come equipped with three coolers.

Two for intoxicating beverages, one for food.

Our Clann Braggot is coming across superbly - year three of tweaking the recipe (thanks to us having a professional brewer in the group)

We've got two Loki's in the works - Gingerbread, and Pumpkin Spice

We always bring at least one bottle of Powers Irish Whiskey

We all bring sixers of whatever odd brew strikes our fancy. Barleywines are ALWAYS included.

Then we fill the rest with whatever cheap beverages we can find. Usually the almighty HIGH LIFE in the "special edition" (ha!) camo can.

In the past we've always had wine on hand, but since this year we've been allowed a "guys only" trip by the significant others - we'll probably skip out on vino.

For food we're going for a hardy beef stew on friday night. Breakfast burritos Saturday morning. Lunch in the Faire. Dinner of brats, beef, bread, cheese, and hopefully beer can chicken. Nothing fancy. Everything hardy.

Sunday we'll strike camp and probably head for the nearest grease-joint to help comfort our hangovers.

This is one of the best threads yet, btw!  ;)
Ar n Duthcas!

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Hercules

Quote from: Fraser of Lovatt on September 30, 2009, 06:46:49 AM
Heineken!!  lots of Heineken!!

Gotta be careful with your Heine....someone always comes along and grabs it.  ;D
Save the Earth (it's the only one with beer)!

grizintx

We have several food coolers, Friday night is for left over smoked brisket, turkey and pulled pork
Sat is breakfast burritos sat nght is Irish stew in bread bowls and sun morning is a bit of a smorgasbord.
The other several coolers will be filled to overflowing with beers of the world and a Guinness Keg this year.
Anther cooler w/ dry ice in it for jager, rumple, and peton. 
May your cup never be empty, and your tent always be upwind of the privy.

Aiacha

Quote from: grizintx on September 30, 2009, 02:25:20 PM
Sat is breakfast burritos sat nght is Irish stew in bread bowls and sun morning is a bit of a smorgasbord.

Where do you get your bread bowls?

JimsDana

H.E.B. has the right size and texture, but Randal's has some nice ones that have the tops precut.
Take my hand and walk with me through life, or send me in the general direction, then point and laugh!

Aiacha

Quote from: JimsDana on September 30, 2009, 07:10:30 PM
H.E.B. has the right size and texture, but Randal's has some nice ones that have the tops precut.

Hmmm.  Thankee!  There is something I've been wanting to re-create from Pennsic (fyi - chicken alfredo in a bread bowl) but have been unable to without proper breadbowls.  I'm going to have to take a look...

JimsDana

Sounds good!
Is there any way to brush garlic butter inside the bread then give it a toast?
A little extra Alfredo to soak through!!!
Need go just made myself hungry!!!
Take my hand and walk with me through life, or send me in the general direction, then point and laugh!

brooke

Wow!  I need to come and camp with some of you folks, your coolers are way better stocked than ours! 

We have beer, champagne, oj (can't live without a good mimosa), sandwich fixins, hot dogs.

I may have to request an upgrade on our dinner menu!