News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Embroidery machines

Started by Auryn, December 08, 2009, 03:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tixi

Quote from: Cilean on December 09, 2009, 09:49:32 PM

As for "Stupid" expensive? The 4D is $2,500, which is pretty typical, Drawings is $3,700, Melco Amaya Bravo 32676-02 Design Shop Lite  would be around $2,500, and Embroidery Office Design Maxx  is GULP $9,800!

ROFL Yes I consider that "stupid expensive" =P

To some people (myself included) that is a LOT of money! That's as much as some used cars! lol

Especially when we're talking about software that costs like, three times as much as the sub-$1000 machine mentioned in the original post.

For professionals or experienced embroiderers it may seem reasonable,  but for someone just starting out learning embroidery or trying to figure out if it's something they want to even do at all, upfront costs like that are a bit ridiculous IMHO.

---

Ultimately, for someone just starting out in sewing or embroidery, I would probably recommend (and this is what I did):

Get a cheaper machine with software and "everything you need" included. Maybe try to find a brand you like and get the bottom of the line one. Play with it - learn it's limitations. Learn the software. Experiment. Break it. Whatever. Then decide what you want it to *really* do. What doesn't it do, what features do you find you need. Every machine and software package is different. Decide if it's even a hobby you want to really "get into". Then sell the machine on ebay or craigslist and upgrade. Do that as many times as you want. Some shops even allow you to "trade in" your machine for a more expensive model (like a car dealership).

Master James

Quote from: Tixi on December 09, 2009, 03:17:58 PM

if I'm reading this correctly, the Futura has problems connecting designs that repeat and are larger than the hoop?  Is that a problem with the software or the device itself?  Or did I interpret that wrong and it is another deficiency?

I've never done a design that goes beyond the hoop size although according to the directions, the software is supposed to be able to handle it.  What I was talking about is that the software is really basic and doesn't have a lot of options and if you are digitizing your own design it can be a bit of a pain to do because the software is so limited.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

mollymishap

Hi, all!

I've been away for a bit & VERY behind on my reading...couldn't find the "other thread" Auryn mentioned, so forgive if I'm repeating stuff here...SO, without further ado, here's my 2-cents' worth:

I saved up for a while and about 3 years back got a VERY nice, used "Designer I" on ebay.  I don't remember how much I paid but it was around $1K.  I got lucky because the person who listed it called it a "Designer 1" which is *NOT* the same thing, but the picture that was posted was the right machine, so after contacting the seller and assuring myself of what I was bidding on, I was able to win the auction without a lot of competition.  I took a chance, certainly, but am very happy with my purchase.  The only drawback is that it has the older, floppy disk drive vs. the USB port, but I'm not too bothered by that.

That being said, the software is another issue.  I originally purchased the "3-D Professional" from Husqvarna-Viking and was able to get the free upgrade to 4-D Professional, which is what I use now.   I originally bought the 3-D software on a Black Friday sale for about $2K total, which included an extra hoop, threads, stabilizers and other basics to get me started.

The software (as others have already explained) is what allows you to take a picture and turn it into embroidery, but it's not that simple.  There is a bit of a learning curve involved, and if you live in the boonies, like me, and can't take a class, you have to teach yourself by trial and error. 

It's an interesting coincidence that I spent the better part of this past weekend working on digitizing the embroidery pattern for a reproduction doublet I'm working on, and I'm still not happy with it.  There are *so* many variables that go into getting the right look that unless one has the time or energy (or funds) to put into it, spending beaucoup-bucks on the software may not be the best investment in the long run...but it *is* a lot of fun.  It's just as much fun, though, to just plop a diskette into your machine and have the design done for you, and there are TONS of patterns out there available for us historically-minded folks to keep busy for a long time.

SO, again, for what it's worth, for a "beginner", I'd suggest looking into a good, used machine and going to the store to check out the software options out there, both for digitizing your own designs and the ones that are all ready digitized and ready to go.  After spending the time I've spent on learning the software and tweaking the design, I can totally see WHY the commercially available patterns cost so much money. 

And as to machines, personally, I *DROOL* over what the fancy H-V's can do, but I don't need *all* those bells & whistles to get the job done.  When I win the lottery, I might change my tune, but for now, I'm pleased as punch with my little ole used Designer I.

Dinobabe

Anybody have a Singer Futura CE-250 with Auto-Punch they want to get rid of?! :D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Master James

Quote from: Dinobabe on December 21, 2009, 08:50:03 PM
Anybody have a Singer Futura CE-250 with Auto-Punch they want to get rid of?! :D

I don't have a CE-250 but I do have a CE-100 (exactly the same as the CE-150 but older model) with Auto-Punch and Auto-Crosstitch that I purchased to do blackwork and it won't do it.  I don't do much other embroidery so I doubt I'll keep it.  I have a serger and two other machines so its just sitting there.  Its brand new with only a few hours of sewing on it.  PM me if you're interested.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Just Randall

So, for X-mas, my wife got a Baby Lock Ellure model ESL from her mother. Is anyone familiar with this machine? Any idiosyncrasies we need to be aware of?
Mediocrity is the refuge of the unimaginative...

Just Randall

Why is it that I have the uncanny knack of killing a thread?
Mediocrity is the refuge of the unimaginative...

Auryn

SO it has been a while since we chatted on this topic.
Personally I am still reading and saving my pennies.
I was wondering how Kate was coming along on the testing of those machines for the sewing shop- I would love to know.

Has anyone gotten anything new or learned anything new they would like to share??
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

gem

Dinobabe recently bought a Singer embroidery machine. Her thread about it (with pix of her first projects!) is here:
http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=10983.0

Dinobabe

Yep!  And I love it!

It is by no means for commercial use but I have had a LOT of success with the Autopunch software.  I also monogrammed some towels and they turned out BEAUTIFULLY.  You just have to love on it a bunch and say lots of cuss words and then it works great!  Can we say learning curve! ;D

I just finished a shirt logo for my Civil War artillery group.  It is based on the picture on our front page.
www.bankheadsbattery.org
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Auryn

i dont know why i totally blanked on dinobabes new machine.

dinobabe- how does the machine do with text??
all the designs you did on your handkerchiefs, are they part of the graphics that come with it or are they your personal graphics??
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Dinobabe

Quote from: Auryn on May 26, 2010, 08:15:55 PM
i dont know why i totally blanked on dinobabes new machine.

dinobabe- how does the machine do with text??
all the designs you did on your handkerchiefs, are they part of the graphics that come with it or are they your personal graphics??

Pretty much everything I have done so far is thru autopunch, my own designs.  Text can be a bit tricky.  Larger is much better, like the monogrammed towels I did.  The smaller it gets the less smooth it is (hard to describe).  Different fonts turn out differently at different sizes. (did I give you enough differents?!)  You have to finagle with the density settings, I did some test lines on scrap fabric to practice.  I think I'm getting the hang of it.  The Civil War shirt logo I did has the name of our battery and it looks pretty good.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Auryn

dinobabe,
is your machine the same as the se350??
you can use the singer software on the brother machine?? cool.
See I'm thinking since I have 3 years of experience in corel with my laser, the learning curve for the embroidery might be less serious, knowing vector and all.
Would you mind explaining a little bit the process for converting your own images??
See I am trying to convince the higher ups in our family business that we should get an embroidery machine to do all of our work shirts instead of paying $15-25 each to get them done. Plus we could offer it as a service to our customers.

Lorraine

I have a Singer Futura CE 150 I found off craigslist, brand new and still in the box for $300. It's been great for embroidery so far, just finished up some new projects last week. I just bought a blackwork design off my favorite design store for a buck yesterday, will have to try it out later and see how it does. I haven't tried much with the software that came with it, other than resizing or moving designs and mirroring things. The alphabets it comes with are pretty nice, and given that they charge about $30 per alphabet font on design sites I was rather grateful it came with it. It does take some playing around with stabilizer, needle size, and thread tension before you get the design to come out perfectly, so I always buy a bit of extra fabric so I can do a little test run of the design before ruining whatever it is I'm working on. Here's the projects I did last week with it, nothing ren related, the ones on denim came out perfectly, but the silk one came out a bit puckered so I need to work on that in the future.

oh, and this was ren related, cuffs and a collar for a shirt from last year

Dinobabe

I have the Singer Futura SES2000, embroidery and sewing machine.  The software is Futura specific.  This is a more commercial version of the Futura series.

I know Photoshop, Illustrator, Mapviewer, Grapher, you name it and I still had to learn the program, still learning.

A tip, the bobbin winder will not work with the embroidery unit attached. ???  So unless you want to take the thing apart to wind bobbins I suggest having a second sewing machine nearby.

The software runs off of a computer not the machine.  That is part of keeping the price low.  It must be connected to a computer the entire time you are sewing or using the software.  I have an old laptop that is dedicated.  If you don't have an extra computer that is an extra cost for you or you will constantly have to hook-up/unhook the machine.

The conversion process is fairly simple as long as you have a high res image with very clean edges and fill.  The software makes assumptions about the image and the final embroidery.  You can change the order in which the "blocks" are stitched as well as the density and stitch style (column or fill).  Blocks are the pieces in to which the software breaks down the image.  Some images are one block others are many.  It will also make assumptions about color.  If you have a black image that is not clean the software will actually see various shades of gray.  I recommend cleaning ALL images in Photoshop before attempting the conversion.  It has its own Photoshop style program with limited features.  If you have Photoshop it's much better.  Some images I have done converted like a breeze, others have been a pain in the weed puller!  Keep in mind the time you may have to put into converting some images.

Keep in mind that this machine is $2000 on its own.  I managed to find a limited time Costco deal with $150 coupon for $600 including the software ($800 worth) and two hoops.  There are several other Futura machines for less.  Read the fact sheets on the Singer site.  I recommend getting one with a steel frame, as apposed to aluminum.  Mine is steel.  You may also be able to find them used for a good price.  Lots of people buy this kind of stuff and give up when it refuses to do the dishes and clean the bathroom!  They throw them on eBay for a lot less.
Here is one for $900 including software.  I try to be careful with eBay, though.
http://global.ebay.com/Singer_Futura_2000_All-in-One_Embroid_Sewing_Machine/280480111920/item

My package came with all of the software; AutoPunch, HyperFont, PhotoStitch, and Cross Stitch (4 CD's at $200 each purchased separately) and two CD's full of designs plus the built in stuff (~6500 designs/stitches).  You can purchase additional designs online.

Think about how many shirts you actually buy each year and compare the cost to the cost of the machine you want plus software.  This was a major splurge for me and I do plan on making back at least some of the cost.  You will also need to buy thread, stabilizer, extra needles (you WILL break some right off the bat!), spray glue, and the shirts.

I hope I am not making this sound like I am against you purchasing one, I just want you to know what you are getting into.  Especially for a business.  I THOROUGHLY enjoy mine, but it takes time, patience, and lots of cuss words before you get it just right! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com